Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia : Mountain Restaurants

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, I did the search first, and found no results, so feel justified to ask these questions.

Other than Chalet Etoile, what other mountain restaurants are good for lunch in Cervinia?

Is it possible to get to the Iglu-Dorf on the Zermatt side for lunch and back to Cervinia in one day, with a group that would include a couple of beginners?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't pretend to know much about lunch places in Cervinia as we stay in Zermatt and tend to ski over. A couple of places we have eaten in however are one called either les neighs d'antan or les skiers d'antan which is at the bottom just above the telecabine station in Cervinia. Another nice one is right off to the left as you look at the piste map off piste number 5 if memory serves me right, though this does require you to go cross country a bit to get to it and depending on exactly how 'beginner' your beginners are , this may be a little daunting. I'm sure better qualified Cervinia experts will help with other suggestions.
You ask if it would be possible to get all the way over to the iglu bar for lunch and back. Well firstly it depends on the time of year, if in the depths of winter the lifts close earlier and it is quite a long trip back, but would in theory be doable though more easily done in Spring. Secondly, I don't know that I would go all the way over there just for the purpose of having lunch. The iglu bar is great fun and kids love it, but the catering is pretty basic, just drinks, fondue and sandwiches, that sort of thing. There are much better choices for lunch itself in that area, if that is the aim of your trip.
Another thing to think about is the way over involves skiing down to Furi, which involves either a black run from Furgg to Furi, a longer red run via Schwarzee or downloading from Trockener Steg in the bubble to Furi and then across to Gornergrat in a bubble. Obviously you know best whether the skiing options are viable for your beginners, but it may prove 'challenging' for them.
I dont' know if that helps or not, but if you have other questions, or want other lunch recommendations on the Zermatt side, please just ask.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Baita Cretaz just off the Cretaz piste just above the resort did a nice pasta dish, but Chalet Etoile was superb...and not just the pretty Swedish waitresses from Ulla's home town!!! It was about half the price of the nice places like Chez Vrony & Zum See on the Zermatt side.

No reason why you couldn't get to the Igloos and back in a day, I got from Zermatt right over to Valtournenche and back. The skiing is harder on the Zermatt side, the beginners will be OK down the glacier to Trockener Steg but they could download from Trockener steg to Furi and then catch the gondola up to Riffelberg and the Gornergrat area which is mostly blues. On the way back they could download again from Riffelberg to Furi, then up to Trockener Steg and then the cablecar to Klein Matterhorn and ski the Ventina, which is rated red but really wide and easy in sunny conditions, all the way back to Cervinia. Obviously you'll have to determine the skill level of the beginners in the Cervinia bowl first, as they all progress at different rates and if they can't link turns on anything mildly steep, they're going to be really slow. I don't think there's any food at the igloos, but at least you'll see some scenery there and back.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why does the mention of the word iglu generate a link to the travel company, has snowHeads gone corporate??

I crossed posts with scotsgirl, who says there is just snacky food available at the Igloos, so maybe a good place for a drink stop and a poke around inside. There's a handful of really good restaurants for a splurge at the hamlet of Findeln including the very cosy Chez Vrony (she did a nice thick hot choccy for CHF5 or was it £5?), but that's even further over in the Sunegga sector.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 6-11-12 16:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks luigi and scotsgirl That is very helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't take beginners over to Zermatt. Too far, too exposed and the slopes, whilst not super steep, will be daunting for someone with just a few days under their belt
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree not taking begimners over. The main question is why IGLU? If its the collection of fake iglus above Rifflalp, you should avoid really. Also if you have Chalet Etoile, why go anywhere else? I know you cant always go there but it is the best. Tambennini??
or something similar, a couple of chairs up from Chalet Etoile is supposed to be vey good, but when over in Cervinia from Zermatt, we have never been able to drag ourselves away from Chalet Etoile.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twoodwar wrote:
Agree not taking begimners over. The main question is why Iglu? If its the collection of fake iglus above Rifflalp, you should avoid really. Also if you have Chalet Etoile, why go anywhere else? I know you cant always go there but it is the best. Tambennini??
or something similar, a couple of chairs up from Chalet Etoile is supposed to be vey good
, but when over in Cervinia from Zermatt, we have never been able to drag ourselves away from Chalet Etoile.

Bontadini perhaps??
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would agree with all the comments about Chalet Etoile, it really is excellent. In addition over in the Valtournentche sector there is a nice restaurant (can't remember the name) between the top of the 9 and the 1.

In terms of taking beginners to Zermatt to visit the Iglu once over the mountain into Switzerland you are on the glacier which is very easy from the bottom of this you can do Gondolas/Chair/Train all the way over to Gornergrat then from what I recall it’s a pretty straight forward blue to get down to the Iglu. Reverse the root on the way back, only downside is that you have to do the T-Bars or the gondola (sardine tin) to cross back into Italy. But the pain of the sardine tin is worth it for the views from the top of the Klein Matterhorn which are spectacular.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gogs wrote:
Would agree with all the comments about Chalet Etoile, it really is excellent. In addition over in the Valtournentche sector there is a nice restaurant (can't remember the name) between the top of the 9 and the 1.

In terms of taking beginners to Zermatt to visit the Iglu once over the mountain into Switzerland you are on the glacier which is very easy from the bottom of this you can do Gondolas/Chair/Train all the way over to Gornergrat then from what I recall it’s a pretty straight forward blue to get down to the Iglu. Reverse the root on the way back, only downside is that you have to do the T-Bars or the gondola (sardine tin) to cross back into Italy. But the pain of the sardine tin is worth it for the views from the top of the Klein Matterhorn which are spectacular.

From the top of KM down to Cervinia is the best part of 2000 metres. That's a lot for a beginner, esp if they snowplough most of the way. Experienced skiers with them would need the patience of a saint. If you are not used to high altitude, it's also a big ask to expect a beginner to do the slope down from KS to Testa Grigia. I've been with intermediates who hated that bit in bad weather.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pjd wrote:

From the top of KM down to Cervinia is the best part of 2000 metres. That's a lot for a beginner, esp if they snowplough most of the way. Experienced skiers with them would need the patience of a saint. If you are not used to high altitude, it's also a big ask to expect a beginner to do the slope down from KS to Testa Grigia. I've been with intermediates who hated that bit in bad weather.

If they are first-weekers it may be a lot to ask, but my sis progressed well and by the end of the week she was skiing linked skidded turns at a speed that wouldn't hold anyone back unduly. On her second week, we criss-crossed the 3 Vallees one end to the other. But I do know of others that were still in the snowplough at the end of the week. The OP definitely will need to judge where they are skill-wise in the light of the comments about the terrain involved.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to all.

It seems that a trip to Iglu-Dorff would be a waste of time and an avoidable hassle.

Thanks for the input on Mountain restaurants. I have been TO Cervinia and Zermatt before (March 2012), but, like twoodwar suffered from the affliction of going to Chalet Etoile every day, except for one lunch at the Rifugio Theodole, which was also good.

I do not think it is a huge hassle to take beginners across to Zermatt after a couple of days, but will not go down to the village itself. I think they should at least have the pleasure of going up to the Klein Matterhorn.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thinking back to my first week skiing, I think I'd have struggled to get down from Klein Matterhorn. Whilst it's not particularly difficult, I think it would look quite daunting and that may play on a beginners mind.

There's also not a back out route, once up there the only way back to Cervinia is to ski.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps I am being too ambitious on their behalf. Will have to play it by ear when there.

Thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can gondola down from Plateau Rosa to Plan Maison which cuts out the worst of the run back to Cervinia. If your beginners are in ski school then I would imagine that the instructor will try and take them at least to Plateau Rosa and ski back in the second half of the week unless they are really struggling.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 10-11-12 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
JHBGerry, a beginner could easily get to and from Klein Matterhorn. It's really just a simple straight wide blue run down to Trockener Steg to get the cable car up there. The journey back from Plateau Rosa can be done without skiing by downloading on the Plateau Rosa cable car followed by two gondolas.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
JHBGerry, a beginner could easily get to and from Klein Matterhorn. It's really just a simple straight wide blue run down to Trockener Steg to get the cable car up there. The journey back from Plateau Rosa can be done without skiing by downloading on the Plateau Rosa cable car followed by two gondolas.

From the top of Klein Matterhorn, as a previous poster said, you have to ski down to Plateau Rosa. You walk through the tunnel then Ski down an easy track and then there is a steepish but very wide red. I would not want to do that with a beginner at the end of the day, especially if they are not used to high mountain exposure.

An alternative is to take the very long tbars from Trockner Steg which almost join the run down to Cervinia on the left side of the mountain as you would look at it from Cervinia. i.e not the Ventina. Eventually this brings you out at Plan Maison. this would be an easier route if you don't mind tbars!
snow report
pjd, I was thinking more that the beginner(s) could get the lifts (admittedly T-bars) up to Plateau Rosa from Trockener Steg after downloading from Klein Matterhorn on the cable car. Then download on the cable car and gondola to Plan Maison.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
pjd, I was thinking more that the beginner(s) could get the lifts (admittedly T-bars) up to Plateau Rosa from Trockener Steg after downloading from Klein Matterhorn on the cable car. Then download on the cable car and gondola to Plan Maison.

Ah, ok , queen bodecia.

A few years ago a group of us did the tbars from Trockner Steg. One fell of about three quarters of the way up and then tried to hitch a lift on the t bar behind which was occupied on one side only by another group member. The outcome was that the person who first fell off got back on but in doing so knocked off the poor sod who tried to help who then had to walk up!
snow conditions
pjd, yes maybe T-bars aren't the best for beginners. They are planning a cable car between Plateau Rosa and Kleine Matterhorn but I don't know how long that will take to come to fruition.
ski holidays
Bontadini Luigi! Thanks. Many great recommendations, but never been there yet myself
snow report
After about 10 or so trips to Cervinia since 2005, strangely I don't think I've ever lunched at Etoile. Probably just coincidence we never end up in that area around the time we're hungry.

The best recommendations I could give are:

The place lower down on the no. 7 run. Fantastic food, great atmosphere.
The place at the bottom of the "Z" lift. Tucked away from the crowds, reasonable menu.
Place in Valtourneche between the "e" and "f" lifts. Good food. Good wine. Good prices.

There are quite a few other places dotted around that don't draw crowds where you can get a decent hot meal, in minutes, for less than €10.

The other tip I'll offer....

Never eat in Zermatt. Better food and much better prices lie on the Italian side of the border.

The refuge at Platau Rosa is the unofficial cut off point for me. Good food but pricier than most in Cervinia.
ski holidays
Would it be possible for a walker to reach any of the restaurants mentioned?

Also, any ideas for inexpensive and decent food in the town itself that we can meet my non skiing wife for lunch and dinner in the evening? We're staying at the Mon Reve by Run 6 IIRC.
latest report
Adam123 wrote:

The other tip I'll offer....

Never eat in Zermatt. Better food and much better prices lie on the Italian side of the border.

I remember mentally calculating food prices on the Italian side to be about half that on the Zermatt side...and the Swissie has strengthened (1.65 to 1.50) while the Euro has weakened (1.12 to 1.25) relative to Sterling since I was there in Jan 2010, so I bet the differential is even greater now!
ski holidays
PeteMan, we ate at the Bar au Chamois a couple of times at lunch, the food was always simple, decent and reasonably priced. Also only a few metres from the Cretaz lifts http://goo.gl/maps/WJkXr.

Lino's knock up a decent pizza. We ate there one night and then at lunch on our final day waiting for the transfer. http://goo.gl/maps/3hDwt

luigi, mentioned Baita Cretaz above which should be walkable from town, it's not far at all. Also lots of walkers use the lifts, so any restaurant near a lift should be fine.
latest report
Jour et Nuit on the main street in Cervinia does a mean steak. Awesome T-Boons the size of your face (if you have a large face), and plenty of more reasonably sized options.

http://goo.gl/maps/xWzQR

La Grotta for pizza, pasta and some local dishes.

http://goo.gl/maps/MuwIQ

Finally, this place: http://goo.gl/maps/CAcbd

Cosy restaurant. Local dishes, good grilled meats. Not the cheapest, but one of the best. Nice bar next door too.
ski holidays
added...

Avoid this place - http://goo.gl/maps/KJF0C

Ropey food, overpriced. Always seem to forget that and end up back here - saying "never again".
latest report
Thanks for the imput Adam. As for steaks, we are from SA, so steaks in Europe are atrocious compared to what we can get here, and cost 5 times what we would pay here.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd like to think Jour et Nuit is still worth a look for you. Probably quite right about the cost though.

If you want a really cheap meal, and you don't mind perching on a stool or standing, there's a pizza place next to J&N where you can order by the slice.

Another great little fast food place near the church (the one with the benches outside and gating over the doors in the streetview link below). Pizzas by the slice and tasty burgers.

http://goo.gl/maps/Qq2Z4

The Yeti - great for watching football (EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga) or whiling away a few hours over a beer or two - also does snack food, pasta, burgers - probably out of the freezer - and whilst you're drinking, they'll keep you furnished with crisps and nuts.

http://goo.gl/maps/HSYYZ

I should also mention Hotel Grivola, which has a big restaurant at the top of the main street. Decent mountain food, pizzas, etc. Often end up here when we can't think of a better option. Not the cheapest, or the most expensive.

http://goo.gl/maps/lP6Wk
snow report
Thanks everyone for all the links and suggestions. I'd always understood that Cervinia was a big ugly but taking a virtual walk around courtesy of Google street view I was pleasantly surprised. Look alright to me!
snow report
I don't get the ugly town thing when in a ski resort.... If it's that bad just turn around and look at the mountains!
ski holidays
It gets a bad rap. Some of it really is very nice. Amazing mountainscape. Other bits truely are quite grim...

http://blog.travelreportage.com/home/2012/04/22/ugly-architecture-in-breuil-cervinia-vote-for-the-ugliest-building/
ski holidays
Heh, as a sort-of local I normally take my home-made flapjacks to the slopes as often I'm rushing home afterwards to give an English lesson. I do occasionally eat on the mountain: splash out late season at the Chemli hutte at Zermatt or on a cold January day have a warming polenta concia (with local cheese) at the place at the top of Cime Bianche.

Prices aren't too bad on the Italian side. I popped over to Chamonix yesterday, and although the meal I had was reasonable value I noticed from window shopping that pizzas were twice the price of Italy, which possibly explains the number of French in my local supermarket!
snow conditions
Adam123 wrote:
It gets a bad rap. Some of it really is very nice. Amazing mountainscape. Other bits truely are quite grim...

http://blog.travelreportage.com/home/2012/04/22/ugly-architecture-in-breuil-cervinia-vote-for-the-ugliest-building/

OT - how old is the lift building? I quite liked the fact that it seemed to have a bit more history to it than you see at most ski resorts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy