Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Les Houches

Poster: A snowHead
Is Les Houches on the evasion Mont Blanc lift pass... I didn't think it was but have seen it on more and more piste maps for the Evasion area...

On that note, does anyone know how frequent the tram up Les Houches, from SG, runs? and is it possible to ski all teh way back down to Saint Gervais or is teh tram the only way of getting down?

Thx in advance folks.. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't look like it to me (les Houches that is)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, it's not on the evasion pass - it used to be and apparently they keep talking about it but ...........!
and no, there isn't a route back down on skis.

As far as the TMB itself is concerned here is the most recent timetable
http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/fr/presentation-des-sites/tramway-du-mont-blanc/horaires

It is an expensive ride, worth doing once maybe but generally easier to drive round to the lifts. Les Houches itself is lovely.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thx all...From memory as well, it was a pretty 'packed' journey... But that was avery long time ago so maybe it has changed...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the tram leaves from la fayet and not saint gevais. technically you can ski down into park thermal next to the station but its low, off piste and easy to get lost, so really the answers no you cant ski to it.

les houches is now owned by CMB and the saint gervais ski company so should really be on evasion pass, I cant see it ever happening though.

I've a bee in my bonnet about Les Houches, I dont really know what Les houches is good for anymore, no park, no kandahar down hill race, too low and not included in anyones standard passes (except CMB's unlimited)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have taken the tram in summer and it goes from Le Fayet and Saint gervais to the top of the Les Houches ski area. I'm not sure if it is practical to ski les houches ski area using the tram as I'd imagine it is very expensive. Maybe it would be best to look up the tramway website and see what the winter service is like.

My understanding is that if you want to ski in les houches you need to base yourself in les houches rather than Saint Gervais but I'm not completely sure of this having only visited the area in summer.

If you want to ski the Evasion area I think the lift pass covers Les Contamines, Saint Gervais and Megeve/Combloux. If you are staying in Saint Gervais there is a gondola up to the saint gervais ski runs which are linked to megeve.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eddiethebus wrote:

I've a bee in my bonnet about Les Houches, I dont really know what Les houches is good for anymore, no park, no kandahar down hill race, too low and not included in anyones standard passes (except CMB's unlimited)

It is a great option on a snowy day due to the trees and also has some good off piste, it's good for beginners especially late in the season when all the valley nursery areas have melted, it has the last Nordic track in the valley open most years, it has a skinning track mostly away from the piste, rarely has queues, good on hill grub not usual in Chamonix, and has a varity of aspects, it's warmer for kids. I quite like Les Houches.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm always happy to ski in a place which doesn't have a Kandahar Downhill Race wink I would imagine that as the World Championships are in Feb the Cham downhill is off the race calendar for this season. And if they have got rid of those monster jumps on Col de Voza then more space to ski Razz Have they also closed the park over on the Bellevue side?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'd agree that its good for beginners for sure yes, but the fact that its only covered by the area's most expensive pass almost negates that IMO so everyone goes to le tour. Which is probably why as you said, its quiet!

mac, yes, they built a small beginners park area on the bottom of the dames black run....so yeah, a beginners park...only accesible via the most difficult piste on the hill...idiots. it was so badly groomed that it was dangerous anyway.

I quite enjoyed the downhill weekend, even as a snowboarder its good to watch (or was good to watch at least!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
eddiethebus, there is a Les Houches only pass.

There's a beginners area at the top of the Prarion bubble.

I fully expect the Kandahar back for 2014 (only the W Champs getting in the way).

La Taniere. Viellle Luge, all good reasons to visit. Almost nowhere else mountain wise worth eating in (except the lovely Alpage de Balme).

Quiet powder often, quiet lifts, we often take beginners/intermediates there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you can buy a pass for just Les Houches yes but most are forced to buy the MBU if they want to spend anytime at there and IMO its just not worth it (yes I know the other differences between the LePass and MBU)

2/3 years ago it had DC investing in the park and the downhill, now CMB have got more of there little fingers into it feels as though it may be dying.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the ghandi restuarants pretty good though Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddiethebus, Have you seen the FIS calendar? No way they could fit the K in. It'll be back in 2014.

Has DC removed the park? It seemed all too real when I was up last season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whilst I love the Grands Montet - when others have chased the new snow there, I have on occasion virtually had Les Houches all to myself.
Some great tree skiing to be had and you can almost ski fresh tracks the whole day, unlike on GM - unless you are lucky and catch GM on an uncrowded week day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
eddiethebus, Have you seen the FIS calendar? No way they could fit the K in. It'll be back in 2014.

Has DC removed the park? It seemed all too real when I was up last season.

Hopefully it will be back yes, but i've not heard anything to that effect as yet. I'm not sure if there's a published list of approved slopes, but I was under the impression that the FIS had removed the kandahar from the list?

Not sure what park you were looking at though, maybe the little one that H05 built on the schuss des dames, but the col de vosa piste was given to the ski racers and DC moved to meribel.
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
Hopefully it will be back yes, but i've not heard anything to that effect as yet. I'm not sure if there's a published list of approved slopes, but I was under the impression that the FIS had removed the kandahar from the list?

There is a list of approved race pistes, Les Houches doesn't seem to have a downhill one anymore. The calendar for 2014 isn't out but there isn't anything on the long term calendar either.
ski holidays
rjs, Interesting.

Also, interesrpting that per the FIS calendar, the DH hasn't run there very often ( I would have sworn more often!)

But there is WC telemark in 2013.

eddiethebus, I bow to your superior information. I can't say I pay a great deal of attention to parks.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy