Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Country and/or Resort for Apres SKI?

Poster: A snowHead
In my view good Apres Ski is really just a bonus however just curious as to how the rest of you out there would rate the places you have been too over the years. I would rate my seven trips to date something as follows:

No. 1 - Sauze D'Oulx, pubs/clubs full every night, a good amount of talent around and great party atmosphere.
No. 2 - Arinsal, nearly as good as the above but resort was fairly small.
No. 3 - Soldeau, 4 out of 6 nights were good, first two fairly low key.
No. 4 - Kitzbuhel, had 3 good nights out of 6 early part of the week was quite.
No. 5 - St Anton, concentrated too much on the skiing on this trip so didn't sample enough of the pubs clubs to
comment properly hence the low rating, have the feeling it should be up a bit higher
No. 6 - Alpe D'Huez - mostly quite each night, only found 2 happening pubs
No. 7 - Val D'Isere - toss up between here and above.

so on a country basis it would be as follows

Italy
Andorra
Austria
France

however as I said at the start, each trip is based around getting in as much skiing as possible, the French resorts would win on this basis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton
Val d'Isere
Chamonix
Saalbach
Whistler
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austria has to be the best place for Apres.

I would rate St Anton as one of the best, Val d'Isere is pretty good as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Austria for typically the best apre-ski, as it starts about 3:00pm onwards coming off the slopes.
Apart from Sauze I can't see why Italy would rate as a lot of traffice is shipped in daily. Andorra is infamous.

Best individual resorts for me were St A, Chamonix, Sallbach, Verbier, Zermatt and Soll. Oh and VD as well but they have a dead zone there. Sleep/crash between dinner and 2300 and then go out when the chalet girls have finished work..! And if you can still do this after day 3 you haven't been skiing much
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val D'Isere? Why?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Had my first trip to Austria (Solden) this year and was surprised at how busy all of the bars were at 4PM.
The place was full of crazy Dutch dancing on the tables singing along to euro-cheese - brilliant atmosphere.
Solden is great place to go - if you like going somewhere full of Brits, dont go to Solden.
It did get quieter towards midnight though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mayrhofen is pretty good too. Lots of dancing on tables at 4pm. Austria is definitely top for apres ski. I found Italy dull (although haven't been to Sauze) and Switzerland too civilized!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go for St Anton and Whistler for the best end-of-the-day buzz.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Has anyone been to "Da Ski Hut" in Rotterdam? It rocks.

Italian resorts in general are great for free food after skiing.

Austria has a good rep but I've never been there.

Val d'Isere has never impressed me. At least, not in November. Wouldn't go there in full season, too many Brits.

Verbier was pretty fun.

In the old days, "Shaggers" in Morzine was great. Sadly it's long gone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paul Flynn, I agree with Arinsal, its ace! But what is it with the herds of Irish blokes? do they ship them in especially? Pas is better though Neh Neh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Paul Flynn, You wer'nt looking hard enough and at a guess you found Smithys or Underground or Skarkeys??? Trust me there are other places!!

I do think that the French are definately a bit lacking on the atmospheric apres ski and would be inclined to say Austria or Cormayeur (I knw the spelling of that is certainly wrong!) but great mountain restos with good atmosphere likewise in the town in the evenings though we were there over Christmas and Ne wyear!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If your looking for authentic Apres Ski (not the after cup of tea) you will have to go where the Germans go, even if you dont understand or get why they dance till they drop to tunes thats have been specially remade to give it the Umm Pah beat ! This is all part of the Gemütlichkeit (cosiness,social acceptance,cheerfulness).

Theres only one place for this and its in the German Beer Kellar or Apres Ski in Austria.

These places are a magent for the Dutch Very Happy

Contary to how people have raved about St Anton IMHO it has been somewhat polluted by outside influences.

Ischgl
Solden
St Anton
Saalbach

the list could go on !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd certainly rate Austria best for apres ski, though I've only been to Austria, France and Canada. Glad to see Saalbach is fourth best in stanton's rating - here I come in Jan! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, it got 4th best in mine too, but tht was mainly because they had places to feed our cart horses... Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing you're right! I must have had you on my ignore list wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Cathy - when are you going in Jan ? I`m off on a boys` weekend - last weekend of Jan. More of a `respectable group of middle aged men` weekend to be honest. Have heard great things about Saalbach - not least about the apres ski.
ski holidays
Cathy Coins wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing you're right! I must have had you on my ignore list wink Very Happy

Is that the same as not being on your Christmas card list? wink
snow report
beetle, off on the 14th for the week, just me and the OH. Can't wait, Saalbach seems to have a lot of good reports on here. No snow yet though - not that I'm looking at webcams or snow-forecast.com yet of course wink Very Happy

boredsurfin, Laughing very similar!
latest report
Austria without question!!

St Anton obviously, and no one has mentioned Soll yet!! (Whiskey Muhle etc!!)
latest report
The one good thing about Soll is that the apres ski lasts from 4pm through to 3am! I found in some resorts things can go a bit quiet after 8pm, namely Kitzbuhel.

Warning: Serious stamina required for Soll!
ski holidays
Soll is great! It's the only place I've been where the bars are as kicking at 4:30 in the afternoon as they are at 3 in the morning!
latest report
There was a bar in Mayrhofen, Austria, that opened around 2am and closed at 9am - now that's hardcore! I'd often see ski instructors stagger out to begin the day's teaching.
Austria wins hands-down for me. The Spielberghaus in Saalbach has to rate as one of the ultimate nights out in the Alps. Zum Thurm in Saalbach is also worth checking out.
snow report
Soll & Mayhofen are great as well . I believe its pretty good in Obertauern & Wagrain

You can look here

http://www.skiresort.de/apres/
http://wagrain.at/apres-ski/

and from Holland all the links you need Very Happy

http://apresski.pagina.nl/
ski holidays
I agree with all the comments about Soll -- a fantastic place for apres. An evening of Salven Stadl, Whiskey Muhle and finishing in the Buffalo bar works for me every time Very Happy
latest report
Dr Che, but you can't do that every night and ski all day. Unless you're superhuman!
latest report
hayley t, in my younger days perhaps, when apres seemed as important as the skiing Wink

It's more of a once a trip occurence now -- a few beers and flughels in the hotel bar and a game or two of pool is the more usual routine these days. The Buffalo isn't what it used to be anyway Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy