Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent Shops in Vancouver?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Im going to banff for a season, but happen to be swinging through Vancouver for a week before. I've had a quick google of "ski shops in Vancouver" and found a few places whos prices for this seasons stuff seems to be roughly comparable to the sale stuff over here, and i figure if i can take as little as possible out with me, and get stuff while im there, ill save on the excess baggage charge that i'm sure to get whacked with if i take everything i can think of from here. So what i'm wondering is, does anyone know any decent shops in Vancouver, or am i best just sticking with my google search and hoping those ones are good?
Also quick aside, generally when i've been away before, its just been for a week or so, and this was before i had my own boots, so i used to use nice thick socks that have been in the house for decades as rental boot fillers. Now that i'm figuring i should probably get some proper ski socks, they all seem to be extortionate, anyone got a way around this, am i just being duped by the marketing into thinking that there are no socks that don't cost £25 a pair?

cheers for any help in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The holy grail for Canadians is Mountain Equipment Co-op [MEC] on 130 West Broadway. Worth a visit/drool, but also a series of other outdoor gear companies are up and down the road from MEC. If you are facing MEC from the road, a couple shops along to the left is a second hand gear store with some interesting kit. It sells a lot on consignment with an unusual business model: the price drops over time.

On the other side of the road for a block or two are shops worth popping into - I would certainly look in on the Taiga shop [near the attractively named Fatburger restaurant....]

Note that you need to be a member of mountain equipment, but it is something like $5.

greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bdonkadonk, do the prices include 12% sales tax? Banff sales tax is only 5% so maybe worth comparing prices
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
don't forget to add sales tax to Canadian prices before concluding they are cheaper than here

I have never found Vancouver all that great for ski shops. Comor are OK and there are one or two other places near the one at 4th & Burrard. Mountain Equipment Co-op is worth checking out, esp for things like reasonably priced socks. There is an Arcteryx factory store in North Vancouver which I haven't visited but might be worth a look.

Aside from that, you'd probably find at least as good a choice when you get to Banff
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Around MEC and as Arno says that block around 4th & Burrard where Westbeach, Comor etc are. Sportchek and Sportsmart are the big beasts (like Sport Direct/JJB) and do a lot of volume winter kit at competitive prices, just don't expect advice, find them in many shopping malls.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Re:socks, I got some merino ones from Aldi about £7 a pair 2 seasons ago, they are as good as pairs I had previously spent closer to £20 on. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apart from the tax, how are you getting from Vancouver to Banff? If you're flying up to Calgary then you'll get hit with the extra weight charge there as well. Why don't you find a name for a store in Banff, check out their prices and give them a call to see if there's anything they can do for you on the price if you give them the business rather than a store in Vancouver? Especially if you're buying lots of stuff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought some Flexons from here several years ago:

http://www.swiss-sports-haus.com/

Good service.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I second Sportchek, especially if there are sales.

greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
soul ski n bike in banff should be able to sort out your needs

i hate sales tax especially when they don't quote the price with it included..... the liquor tax in Arkansas for example is 32.5%!!!!!! that makes one hell of a difference to the price of a round of JD's
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there must be a good story behind CEM getting stuck into the JDs in Arkansas... Blush
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cheers for the replies, i had completely forgot about the sales tax. But i think it still works out a bit cheaper anyways. And i said banff, but i really meant lake louise, staying in staff accommodation there, and just getting a sleeper bus from vancouver as it goes right through LL, so i wont be in banff town technically, although it is only a bus away, so i may take a wee trip down. I imagine the stuff in LL would be more expensive since its tiny, hence why i was planning on getting some stuff before arriving there.
I shall have a look into the recommendations, im sure i shall be able to work it out eventually.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were in LL a couple of years back in the January, the normal priced stuff in the tiny town center was EXPENSIVE but the sale stuff was excellent value with 60% off. That really is taking pot luck tho with sizing in the sale.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not actually compared prices, but Banff is a *tourist town*, you're not going to get decent prices there irrespective of how they deal with the state taxes. Mountain Equipment CoOp is where I'd go, and as they said there's a ton of other stuff around there. Downtown Comor is an expensive fashion outlet, the Sport Check places are horrid, exactly like "sports direct" in UK only with a bit more snow and ice stuff.

My main problem with shopping in Canada or the US is that everything's half price so I tend to buy twice as much.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never been there but is skis and bikes any good?
snow conditions
Can't you claim the sales tax back when you come back to the UK or has that stopped ?

I know I have in the past

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/rbts/gnrl/stt-eng.html
snow conditions
dsoutar, no, that ended in March 2007, or 2008.
latest report
Arno wrote:
there must be a good story behind CEM getting stuck into the JDs in Arkansas... Blush

nothing spectacular, i have just returned from a conference there, when the bar price list say $8.+ a shot and the bill comes out at $11+ a shot it is a bit of a shock

the scarier thing is single barrel or gentleman jack was the same price.... be rude not to Very Happy

and no i don't think you can claim the sales tax back on liquor rolling eyes
snow conditions
Since Banff vs Vancouver has been mentioned, you also need to take into account that BC and Alberta have different sales tax rates to add on. BC = 12% (or thereabouts), Alberta = 5%.

Agree with comments about Sport Check. Mainly staffed by students working tehir way through University with little knowledge of the products plus no high end kit.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy