Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finally going to 3V's

Poster: A snowHead
Well after years of thinking about going to the 3V's we have booked to go to VT for a weeks snowboarding for NYE. It was always more expensive than anywhere else (apart from Meribel maybe) and opted for other resorts. Judging by the terrain, it just looks too good to miss out on so we decided to go with Action Outdoors again as we could get into VT rather than the cheaper Meribel and be placed right on the slopes. Is it possible to board around the whole 3 valleys in a day? Also, where's good for apres and where to eat while on the hill? Any must eat and/or drink places in VT?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Loads of very good mountain restaurants in VT but some can be a bit pricey. Presuming you are quite young. Bar 360 is the place to go at lunch time. The Folie Douce in the late afternoon. You could visit each resort in a day but not ski many of the runs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not only is it possible to board the whole 3V but is actively encouraged.The piste map used to show locations within the 3 valleys where you have to have your card stamped to collect a certificate. Actually I only ski so don't really know how quickly boarders cover the ground. However, New Year is one of the busiest times of year and you may find lift queues in Meribel hinder these objectives. In normal conditions it is no problem to ski from Val Thorens to Courchevel 1650 for morning coffee.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you are with Action Outdoors then you won't be eating on the slopes as you go back to the center for lunch or take a pack-up.

The Action Outdoors lift pass for VT only covers VT, not the full 3V and you can upgrade vfor €24.50 a day or something. There is a machine in the reception where you can do this.

It is possible to board round many areas of 3V in a day although not sure what you mean by 'all'. If you fancy a tricky challenge use the forum search on here for 3V escapade and do it in a day...

Apres straight after boarding I liked 360 on the slopes, Folie Douce also good. I didn't really bother going up after dinner as the walk is long and I was tired, and found the UCPA bar much more appealing snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sliding from ValTho to Le Praz and back in a day is easily doable and enjoyable.

ValTho is just about the most convenient place on Earth to ride.

Courchevel has the best skiing, scenery and atmosphere.

Meribel is a frightful place.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:

Meribel is a frightful place.

Agree, ............. surprised you use the expression, bit middle England for you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You must eat at the deux lacs restaurant on a sunny day. Its just to the left of the deux lacs chair.

Andy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ski the 3V for at least two weeks every season. I always really enjoy all parts of it. There is no part that I don't really like, apart maybe from the pistes into Mottaret in the late afternoon.

The Three Valley 'Escapade' is the free self-planned 'tour' of a large part of the 3V that JohnE mentions above and which when completed results in the award of a certificate. To complete it in a day is not something that is easy and would require precise planning, speedy descents and no real time to stop and enjoy the secenery. However, the certificate does not include your 'time of completion' so it is just as valid if you take 3 or 4 days to complete it at a more leisurely pace, and have time to stop for lunch!

My own quick opinion summary of the 3V is as follows;

1) The VT valley is the one where you are most likely to be wiped out by an out-of-control idiot (trying to complete the Escapade in 5 hours?) but has many nice, and long, pistes.

2) The Corchevel valley is the prettiest valley, has the best groomed pistes and the most expensive restaurants.

3) The Meribel Valley has the best lift system, plenty of good skiing and boarding, and has the best apres-ski.

These are my opinions only, but I am pretty sure someone on here will say that I am wrong!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gainz, Bar 360 is great. Reasonable food in self service area. Nice music outside and generally good vibes. Specially if it's sunny outside.
La Foilie Douce will be an obvious place for apres. Did not stay too long as my other half did not like the music Wink

I have to say I liked Val T. runs the most out of the whole 3V last year. Other good place will be Courchevel 1650 and Creux run leading to it, or runs above St Martin. Also runs under Bruyeres gondola in Les Menuires are brilliant.
We never made it to La Tania. Runs around Meribel valley are not bad but nothing special compering to other 3V resorts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Meribel is a frightful place. Full of British and stones.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
anderoo, I think Deux lacs restaurant must be under new ownership - I was very disappointed when I last visited - it isn't the place it used to be food wise.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3V is good. I think Courchevel is best for pistes and fantastic lift system but prohibitive to stay there and too many Russians. Too many cablecars in VT (I hate taking skis off), not as efficient to get around quickly, and mostly intermediate slopes, not overly challenging (have not done OP there though). But snow quality always great there. Orelle fantastic but chairs lifts deadly slow. Meribel well positioned but more of a ski-thru resort, but one fantastic run (combe de vallon), a little out of the way. It is a great choice of resort. Personally though I prefer EK or les Arcs as there are more varied and challenging hard reds and blacks there than in the whole 3V IMO even though these resorts are smaller. But almost certainly will be back in 3V soon, prob VT, not this year but maybe next
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Of course there is a partial 4th Valley (into the Maurienne valley from VT - and off piste over the back from La Masse)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

Val Tho is a great choice - I have done a season there and loved it! You have to go to Snesko for aprés ski! It is a Danish bar with live music and dancing on tables and setting the bar on fire! = epic The Viking and Saloon are also good choices for aprés with special offers on drinks and the Frog and Roastbeef (highest pub in Europe) has live music sometimes. For party on the piste you have the Folie Douce under the Grand Sud chairlift

For eating out our very very favourite restaurant was La Paillote, run by Claude - it gets pretty busy so book a table. No better place for a fondue or raclette around!

Skiing from VT is easy and if you are competent skiers you can do every village in one day. Going to the top of the Cime de Caron is a must (even though it is always busy) as the views from the top are amazing!! Mottaret or La Tania is a good place for a lunch break, make sure you don't sit down for a meal anywhere on the slopes in Courchevel 1850 or 1650 or you might need to re-morgage your house...

My favourite slopes in the 3 valleys would be Combe de Caron (VT), anywhere in Orelle in fresh snow, Jerusalem (best red ever), Creux & Suisse in 1850. Cruising down to the bottom of St Martin on blues. Top of Mottaret (the piste on the right).

Have a great time!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

make sure you don't sit down for a meal anywhere on the slopes in Courchevel 1850 or 1650 or you might need to re-morgage your house...

It doesn't have to be the case, there are some very good value restaurants in 1850. My repeated suggestion is the Courchniege, 3 course skiers lunch 27 euros, small stella 2.50, large stella 4.
snow conditions
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
For eating out our very very favourite restaurant was La Paillote, run by Claude - it gets pretty busy so book a table. No better place for a fondue or raclette around!

Or anything else they serve! A great little restaraunt!
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:

Or anything else they serve! A great little restaraunt!

Agreed!! My favourite is the Croquant de Chevre Chaud... Not sure it can be called a salad though... Very Happy
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

make sure you don't sit down for a meal anywhere on the slopes in Courchevel 1850 or 1650 or you might need to re-morgage your house...

It doesn't have to be the case, there are some very good value restaurants in 1850. My repeated suggestion is the Courchniege, 3 course skiers lunch 27 euros, small stella 2.50, large stella 4.

Fair enough - they didn't have that last time I was there, great improvement! Smile In general you have to be careful though, we once sat down in one of the restaurants in 1650 - 22 euros for a spag bol! Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Son, daughter and I had a snack just below VT about 3 years ago. 1 orange juice, 2 beers and 1 green salad (very nice) to share between us. €45

The skiing may be superb but I haven't been back to 3V since.

If you are chalet board, stock up with food at breakfast time. may not be a popular thing to say amongst saisonaires but it is the only thing to do economically
ski holidays
Dia_FindTransfers wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
Quote:

Fair enough - they didn't have that last time I was there, great improvement! Smile In general you have to be careful though, we once sat down in one of the restaurants in 1650 - 22 euros for a spag bol! Shocked

Been doing it for at least the last 3 years, probably longer. But your right you can easily get stung. €14.50 for a luke warm coffee and a small beer in le cap.
latest report
Some top recommendations, thanks all. Like the sound of the escapade, did one in Saalbach in a day but we had a guide. It wasn't difficult IMV.

Dia_FindTransfers, great tips there thanks.

Was hoping 3V's will be as good as EK which we all loved. Will go back to Tignes again. Heard a few stories about Meribel and that's probably why we didn't want to go before. A couple of us have been once before but not me and although they were still learning, they weren't that impressed. I guess its hard to judge a place when you're a beginner. Even though we are at a UCPA we rarely go back for lunch if at all. A few days of cold packed lunch does get to you so we would be eating on the hill at some points. Any other tips?
latest report
Gainz, Another good place to eat on the slopes (~12E for plat du jour) is next to the middle station of Bruyeres gondola between VT and Menuires. Great blue run under this gondola, reasonable prices for food and amazing views from tarraces, chill out music - one of my fave in 3V. Or restaurant on the bottom of Granges chair between Menuires and St Martin - again reasonable prices.

This was said many times but avoid Ours blue down to Mottaret - long, flat and narrow road - take Plan Des Mains chair and ski down along the snowpark (actually it is worth going right through the park).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-11-12 15:00; edited 3 times in total
snow report
Folie Douche is a MUST, Courchevel is the most overrated place I have ever been, and I've been to Vegas!
ski holidays
I think that some of the posters are doing the 3V's a bit of disservice. When I first went to the 3V's I came to the same conclusions, but having worked it out it grows on me. There is no escaping its size and variety, and my approach is to tackle one or two areas each day, which might also be driven by conditions.

Yes there rip off joints, but as long as you are wary then you can get better value. For instance if you stop for coffee at the Cap Horn you are asking for trouble.

When eating on the mountain I almost always stick to the plat-du-jour this should offer the best value. Have a carafe of house wine between friends to wash it down.

Relative to the cost of the trip, beer and coffee costs are relatively irrelevant, imo.
ski holidays
Gainz, Head to La Praz or Courchevel 1350 a village with gondaler access to 1850 a great hotel, le peupliers le praz and a great place to eat le bistrot du praz. If younger than 45 ignore this advice and just visit La Praz via Jockeys on a good sunny day to see what to look forward to.
ski holidays
Gainz, the 3V is great because it is so large and varied. Each valley has its charms, even the Meribel valley. I have skied most of the large Alpine ski resorts but I still spend at least two weeks in the 3V each season. I'm not saying it is better than anywhere else, because I do also enjoy other places I visit, it is just that I never get bored with the 3V.

Whilst it is perfectly easy to ski/board from one corner of the region to another and back in one day (say Orelle valley to Courchevel 1650), the whole region is massive and it would take an intermediate skier a whole week to ski every piste once (cue SmugHead to now argue it is possible to complete it all in 11.5 hours without stopping, eating or use 'the facilities' Smile ).

Whilst I am never looking for 'cheap' restaurants, I have found many that sell good food at reasonable enough prices in the 3V. Even in Courchevel. Last season the Hotel Courcheneige (quite upmarket) on the piste above the generally very expensive Courchevel 1850 area had a skiers menu for 25 Euros that consisted of 3 courses; an unlimited 'starters buffet' which included oysters!, a proper main course and an unlimited 'dessert buffet'. This was an absolute bargain for the amount and quality of the food, but not everybody knew about it - not even some of the locals. Unfortunately, what is good one season might not be as good the following season; The Lodge Du Village in Meribel Village used to be very good a few years ago, but last year was just 'good'. The prices hadn't increased, but the quality of the food was not as previous years.

I believe that you will enjoy your time in the 3V. It has lots for most skiers and boarders, and whilst food and drink is generally not cheap, bargains can be found. Ask the seasonaires for tips when you get there.
snow report
Gainz, go to La Folie Douce and bar 360. amazing!!!! Youtube "La Folie Douce Val Thorens" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Even though we are at a UCPA we rarely go back for lunch if at all. A few days of cold packed lunch does get to you so we would be eating on the hill at some points.

What, you get a bit sick of carrying around half your body weight in food wink Biggest packed lunch, EVER!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 Valleys in a day? Do all 4 valleys in a day! Start at the top of the Cime Caron and drop down the black into the 4th valley, then make your way across from there.

One run to avoid is the Ours blue run into Meribel Mottaret, it's a flat path which is bad enough on skis, but on a board you'll end up walking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy