Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some advice for my girlfriend!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Looking for some skiing help/advice etc. for my girlfriend Miranda.

A little bit of background: She has skiied 4 weeks - first week was in Levi, Finland where she had lessons for three mornings. Second week was in Morzine/Les Gets, no lessons just practicing. Third week was in Les Arcs where she had a few lessons with an ESF instructor. Fourth week was in Morzine/Les Gets, again no lessons.

On our last week in Morzine/Les Gets the first couple of days she was doing great, cruising down blues and reds, parallel turns, absolutely fine. We went over to Avoriaz and some of the pistes were hard packed so not icy but a similar effect/noise that freaked her out a bit. Had a bit of a disaster on Mont. Chery later in the week where she completely lost all confidence and declared she never wanted to go skiing again!! Managed to get her out the next day and just did some blues all day trying to get her turning etc. again, finished the day in good spirits and with her buying her rental boots as they were so comfy - what a difference a day makes!

I've uploaded a video here showing where she finished the holiday, she was skiing a fair bit better than this at the start of the week but didn't have a video!

http://youtube.com/v/ttqZZPZbhOk

Anyway, looking to try and get her to a point where she's happy on reds and differing snow conditions etc. I know she can do it as she can ski very nicely when she has the confidence and the conditions are right. I'm thinking it would be beneficial to get her some lessons on an indoor slope before we venture out to the Alps again in Jan/Feb. The Inside Out courses mentioned on another thread look like they could be the sort of thing we're after and the Snowheads member offer seems fantastic value - going by their website ( http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html ) I'd say she's a level 5.

Not sure how much detail etc. to go into but happy to answer questions that may help better narrow down what is required. I try and help her with technique etc. but its a bit difficult as a) I struggle to explain what to do to help, I was lucky enough to pick skiing up very quickly with just some basic dry slope lessons so don't know all the drills (I would like some lessons myself as I know I'd benefit but I'll save that for another topic!) and b) she'd only listen to me if I had an ESF jacket on and a French accent Laughing

Hope I've not waffled too much and look forward to any help you can offer! Very Happy

Matt
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps the brown jacket could be the problem. It's clashing with the blue pants. Razz
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Matt, I'm not qualified to give your girlfriend any advice on technique but I'll share what helps me with confidence-
Lessons- Inside out have a good reputation,
Concentrating on something other than the bottom of the run eg- trying to do as many linked turns as possible before the next hut/piste marker/whatever
-turning and traversing the whole piste as shallowly as possible or making perfect s curves or c curves
-skiing on 1 leg
All of which means I'm not freaking if it's steep/busy/icy.

Having a piste map and understanding it was very important to me when I first started learning (BF decided I was ready for icy blacks on day 4, now ex BF)

Learning to sideslip, falling leaves drill meant I had an escape route down if I started to panic.

I still always take a few lessons in resort, usually group, means at least part of the day I'm with people of my own ability, I'm learning more and correcting bad habits and I get to know a little of the area thats within my capability (I still hate icy blacks)

From a relationship preserving POV, don't push her, if she is anything like me she will resent it and dig her heels in. Give her the piste map, if she feels in control it may help, try doing the same runs she has already done in lessons a few times together so you get a feel for how fast is comfortable for her, introduce steeper terrain slowly in chunks, you don't have to ski non-stop to the bottom of each run, do a hundred metres, regroup, carry on when shes ready. Don't try doing harder or unfamiliar runs straight after lunch or last run of the day, doing that is recipe for disaster as most people make more mistakes when tired/full and if you get freaked out on the last run of the day then that is the one you will remember and you can't do another easy run to put it right until the next day or worse next holiday.

Sorry about MY waffle! Not really the advice you were asking for but I hope it helps you understand what she may need from you other than lessons which are always a great idea. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Two main thing to work on with regards to technique:

Her upper body wants to be facing down the hill at all times. Currently her upper body is facing in the direction of travel but it is much easier, especially when it starts getting steeper if, if her upper body was swivel at the hips relative to her legs so that her torso is facing down the fall line throughout the turn. A good drill for this is to hold the poles about half way along the shaft vertically in front of the body so they form two sides of a box. This box then becomes a window which you/she has to always look through and the window is always pointed down the hill. Quite a common drill, if you scour youtube/a piste you may see someone demonstrating it.

The other point is that her hands want to in front of her body and held up slightly in slightly instead of trailing behind as they currently are. This help will put her weight in a better position and reduce the risk of suddenly becoming backseat and out of control when it steepens.

The next point would probably be to increase vertical movement of the upper body during the turn but she would need lessons to effectively work on this (lessons would also help with previous two)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
onz,
Quote:

I try and help her with technique etc.

Some advice for you - leave it to the professionals. It's one of the best ways to ruin a relationship. wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
onz wrote:

Anyway, looking to try and get her to a point where she's happy on reds and differing snow conditions etc. I know she can do it ...............

Is that her goal? Or your goal for her?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rambotion wrote:

Her upper body wants to be facing down the hill at all times.

When doing short turns down the fall line...

Otherwise slightly to the OUTSIDE of the turn - which in a long turn which is completed at around 90degrees to the fall line would be UPHILL at turn initiation...

Otherwise that downhill facing position will induce an auto pivot which she will struggle to control and so have issues developing good control over her turn shape
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy her some lessons and let her get on with it. If she wants your advice then let her ask for it. Just enjoy the time the two of you spend skiing together and let her lead the pace. This will give you both a more rewarding holiday and help save your relationship! You can ski in the mornings at your own pace and spend the afternoons cruising at her pace.

Does she know you have put a video of her skiing up here?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This may not be typical of the male/female split... but my wife and her pal are very concerned with being technically correct in their skiing. This means that they go much slower and more carefully but trying to ensure that they are doing everything perfectly right. Whereas me and the pal's husband are more concerned about the next "challenge" in terms of slope, carving a turn, "ski-sunday" stops, etc...

For this reason, the women will have a private lesson every couple of years to take them to the next stage of their progression. As a group we ski simple Blues (with the odd patch of Red that isn't much harder) so that we can enjoy the slopes together. Then... when the wives stop for a hot-chocolate/early finish we men go off and burn-off the testosterone on Reds and blacks.

This simple technique has kept our respective marriages alive for over 10 years of joint skiing holidays. We did, briefly, toy with the idea of "coaching" technique while we skied together, but quickly realised that
1) We're not suitably qualified to advise on these things
2) The secret to a happy marriage is NOT to tell your other half what they are doing wrong!!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Buy her some lessons and let her get on with it. If she wants your advice then let her ask for it. Just enjoy the time the two of you spend skiing together and let her lead the pace.

+1. Inside Out are excellent BUT she should also get good lessons in resort.

She has had very few lessons, and that's the key problem, I think. As an almost beginner skier she had a holiday with no lessons at all. Some people can happily fling themselves around with very little idea of what they are doing (chaps, particularly) but others prefer to ski within their ability all the time (I'm one). That means that unless they have loads of lessons their ability remains extremely limited, so they will only be happy pottering rather slowly on rather easy slopes.

Which might, of course, be exactly what they want to do, Fastman's question is a good one.

So, if Miranda wants to improve, then have a session with Inside Out (get their advice on which clinic would be best for her) AND really good lessons in resort on your next trip. Depending on where you go there will probably be someone here who can advise on which school, or instructor, to use.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski wrote:

Perhaps the brown jacket could be the problem. It's clashing with the blue pants.

Shhh - she doesn't need an excuse to buy more ski gear! Razz

lilywhite wrote:
Lots of good stuff...

Thanks, all makes sense and quite a bit we've tried before but will keep using again in the future.

rambotion & little tiger wrote:
Tips on technique...

The shoulders tip she's well aware of! We've tried a similar drill but where you hold your poles horizontally so they are out in front and you're facing down hill. Your suggestion sounds like an alternative well worth trying, particularly as its perhaps a little more natural holding a pole in each hand. As soon as she holds her poles normally again she tends to move her shoulders back around! Is it just lessons and practicing doing this over again that will break the habit? We live 100 yards from a dry ski slope so we were wondering whether to try a lesson at an indoor slope then practice at the dry slope (as the dry slope is much closer and cheaper).

musher wrote:
Some advice for you - leave it to the professionals. It's one of the best ways to ruin a relationship. wink

I'd rather leave it to them as well!

FastMan wrote:
Is that her goal? Or your goal for her?

Her goal summed up as succinctly as possible!

glp9 wrote:
Buy her some lessons and let her get on with it. If she wants your advice then let her ask for it. Just enjoy the time the two of you spend skiing together and let her lead the pace. This will give you both a more rewarding holiday and help save your relationship! You can ski in the mornings at your own pace and spend the afternoons cruising at her pace.

Does she know you have put a video of her skiing up here?

She has asked for my advice and like I said I don't exactly feel qualified to give it! She asked for me to put this video up and ask for some advice, hence the post! I've signed her up as a member now so she can discuss herself.

Thanks for your responses so far.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger wrote:
rambotion wrote:

Agreed.

Some things to be going on with.....

1, Hands forward, not at her side, someone may have told her to face down the hill; as downhill hand appears to be further back than uphill…
2, More flex at Ankle/knee and Hip so we get the classic shape

o
R
\
/
-----)

3, Some ankle movement; stretch to start turns and to fall line; gentle flex to finish to outside ski. Currently the movement is a push forward of the hips; we need ankle movement too!
4, generally more balance to outside ski.
5, Link up turns to produce flowing movements.
6, Stance is also a little wide, perhaps a sign of not 100% comfortable!

All can be fixed in the UK if you have access to a slope.

And agree with above; Don't push her. Get more lessons.......If she wants them.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you live 100 yds from a dry ski slope, then this really is easy: get lessons there, get membership there, and practice as often as you can. An hour or two most weekends with lessons every now and then to keep you both in the right direction will do a whole lot for your skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger wrote:
rambotion wrote:

Otherwise slightly to the OUTSIDE of the turn - which in a long turn which is completed at around 90degrees to the fall line would be UPHILL at turn initiation...

Otherwise that downhill facing position will induce an auto pivot which she will struggle to control and so have issues developing good control over her turn shape

FFS rolling eyes

OP, unless you want to get an information overload induced headache and possibly an eventual relationship breakup when you try to relate all the overly technical if well intentioned advice to your GF, who will possibly also end up with a headache Wink , I'd suggest a few sessions with a professionally qualified instructor. As others have said Inside Out are great and you might find a decent instructor at your local dry slope wherever that might be (if it's Gloucester give me a shout and I can give you some recommendations). Alternatively there are lots of highly qualified and excellent Brit instructors all over the Alps (France in particular), there are even some in Scotland Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

She has had very few lessons, and that's the key problem, I think. As an almost beginner skier she had a holiday with no lessons at all.

She is doing very well for someone who has had barely any instruction. May I suggest for her next ski holiday she books in for at least 6 days of half day lessons.
ski holidays
Quote:

there are lots of highly qualified and excellent Brit instructors all over the Alps (France in particular)

and even some of those funny foreign French, Austrian and Italian people are surprisingly capable.....
snow conditions
Miranda

I don't know much about skiing (my post count only means that I waste a lot of time on here), however, I think you are doing fine. You look nicely in control (I am also a control freak) and those look nice solid mostly parallel turns at a controlled speed. I see myself in your skiing. You seem to suffer from exactly what I suffer from i.e. a certain amount of rigidity, and a lack of a pole plant. Confidence for me came with mileage, lessons and the odd Snowheads bash where you get to ski to just have 'fun' with the odd lesson thrown in for good measure. Control is good, and whilst I wouldn't advocate drinking and driving, I know for me that there is some truth in the statement, that I am a couple of drinks short of being a skier - something to just take the edge off your worries, may just help. wink I think as all the others have said that a some lessons and a bit of mileage might do no harm - that's what I'm doing this year. I wouldn't worry about what your BF thinks, you are doing fine and, if I am any example, you will def. reach your goal.
ski holidays
I would say more 1 to 1 lessons with a proper instructor and have you considered getting her own skis. I am very much a confidence skier and got my own skis last year and I was amazed at how much quicker I felt I progressed with them compared to lessons on hire skis. The biggest thing was probably that I felt my lovely new skis (K2 freeluvs) had super sharp edges which made me feel more comfortable when conditions got a bit icy and scratchy.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there are lots of highly qualified and excellent Brit instructors all over the Alps (France in particular)

and even some of those funny foreign French, Austrian and Italian people are surprisingly capable.....

Does that not go without saying!
snow report
onz, we will do our best to help wink
ski holidays
scooby_simon wrote:
Tips on technique
Took me a while to work out what I was looking at with your drawing!! Got there in the end though...

kieranm wrote:
If you live 100 yds from a dry ski slope, then this really is easy...
Let's hope so, I like your thinking!

roga wrote:
As others have said Inside Out are great and you might find a decent instructor at your local dry slope wherever that might be (if it's Gloucester give me a shout and I can give you some recommendations)
Unfortunately not nr. Gloucester (although lived round Bristol way for a good few years), we're in Esher, by Sandown racecourse. (and dry ski slope).

johnE wrote:
She is doing very well for someone who has had barely any instruction. May I suggest for her next ski holiday she books in for at least 6 days of half day lessons.
She'll be mighty pleased to hear that Smile I think we'll definitely be sorting some lessons whilst we're away next.

Megamum wrote:
Lots of kind words and good advice
Miranda's quite au fait with the benefits a couple of Vin Chaud as I'm sure she'll mention when she gets on here later Laughing

sophster wrote:
have you considered getting her own skis. I am very much a confidence skier and got my own skis last year and I was amazed at how much quicker I felt I progressed with them compared to lessons on hire skis. The biggest thing was probably that I felt my lovely new skis (K2 freeluvs) had super sharp edges which made me feel more comfortable when conditions got a bit icy and scratchy.
Not considered that yet but some compelling reasons why it may be worth looking into - not just for Miranda but for myself as well as I've always just rented. On the one hand financially it can be quite dear as an initial outlay and then to transport them when flying but then obviously there's a saving by not renting and the fact that you may enjoy your holiday(s) much more which is an aspect I'd not really taken into account before.

skimottaret wrote:
onz, we will do our best to help wink
Thanks wink

Thanks for everyone's input! Clearly quite an emotive subject! We've booked a session at Inside Out for Sunday - will let you know how we get on Smile

Anybody able to recommend an instructor/company in Morzine for tuition?

Matt Smile
ski holidays
onz wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input! Clearly quite an emotive subject! We've booked a session at Inside Out for Sunday - will let you know how we get on Smile

Anybody able to recommend an instructor/company in Morzine for tuition?

Matt Smile

I'll be running that session on Sunday.

In Morzine, BASS or The Snow Institute would be good options.
ski holidays
roga wrote:
little tiger wrote:
rambotion wrote:

FFS rolling eyes

OP, unless you want to get an information overload induced headache and possibly an eventual relationship breakup when you try to relate all the overly technical if well intentioned advice to your GF, who will possibly also end up with a headache Wink , I'd suggest a few sessions with a professionally qualified instructor. As others have said Inside Out are great and you might find a decent instructor at your local dry slope wherever that might be (if it's Gloucester give me a shout and I can give you some recommendations). Alternatively there are lots of highly qualified and excellent Brit instructors all over the Alps (France in particular), there are even some in Scotland Toofy Grin

Ok the short version

This is the sort of crap advice well meaning folks tell beginners because they heard it from someone sometime.

Usually it will set the beginner back in ski improvement- although the person giving it will be all happy because the beginner can now "do short turns".

The other place you see it is with well meaning lower level instructors. I've even seen it given by these when a full cert has been working flat out to shed the same pesky pivot this induces. This of course undoes all that hard work. Stick to full cert instructors and you will not risk this and so waste your hard earned money on some mediocre instruction.
ski holidays
onz - see the problem of internet advice...

get her an instructor of her own and as you will pay the same price anyway make sure they are full cert and preferably with about 10-20 full seasons of teaching experience behind them... that way they have tried it all and had time to reflect on the efficacy of various teaching strategies.

As she seems to be a somewhat timid female rather than fearless testosterone ridden boy get her an understanding instructor who will build her skills and so her confidence...

I can highly recommend Easiski's Cautious to Confident week... (Yes she is a full cert)

http://www.easiski.com/C2C.html

Yes new skis may help in that they will be very consistent. Other option is to make sure she gets well tuned suitable hire gear - but that can be tricky if you are not too sure...

If you decide to travel to Colorado get in touch with Fastman - he posted above. He will I'm sure help her out.
snow report
little tiger wrote:
Stick to full cert instructors and you will not risk this and so waste your hard earned money on some mediocre instruction.

Apologies for the thread drift, but didn't want to let this pass without comment. It would make life much easier if getting a full cert instructor was an absolute guarantee of getting high quality instructor. Sadly that's not my experience. I've had too many lessons with fully qualified instructors, mostly in ESF schools, where the teaching was not so much bad as absent. It was a case of "follow me around the mountain and along the way I'll tell you some entertaining mountain stories". Perfectly pleasant way to spend some time, unless you are looking to improve your skiing in which case it was an absolute waste of time and money. And that's from full cert guys.

Best way to find a good instructor is to get recommendations. Easiski rightly gets lots of recommendations around here, including from me. Simply relying on a qualification is not always going to be a good indicator of an instructor who is going to provide a high quality lesson for you, that day.
latest report
little tiger, ah I see the claws are out ... not even worth responding to frankly!
rob@rar wrote:
little tiger wrote:
Stick to full cert instructors and you will not risk this and so waste your hard earned money on some mediocre instruction.

Apologies for the thread drift, but didn't want to let this pass without comment. It would make life much easier if getting a full cert instructor was an absolute guarantee of getting high quality instructor. Sadly that's not my experience. I've had too many lessons with fully qualified instructors, mostly in ESF schools, where the teaching was not so much bad as absent. It was a case of "follow me around the mountain and along the way I'll tell you some entertaining mountain stories". Perfectly pleasant way to spend some time, unless you are looking to improve your skiing in which case it was an absolute waste of time and money. And that's from full cert guys.

Best way to find a good instructor is to get recommendations. Easiski rightly gets lots of recommendations around here, including from me. Simply relying on a qualification is not always going to be a good indicator of an instructor who is going to provide a high quality lesson for you, that day.

Spot on!
ski holidays
roga wrote:
little tiger wrote:
rambotion wrote:

FFS rolling eyes

Nice one roga, saved me typing a similar message !!

Far too technical, personally I'd ask your GF if she wants to improve, if so get her onto some Insideout sessions assuming they are closeish to you.

If she is happy to potter around as she is then you'll have to accept that!
snow report
onz +1 for InsideOut.

In truth, she's skiing much like I'd expect someone to ski that slope at the end of their first week. (I know the slope very, very well.) The run is graded blue, but it's actually more like a green until it hits the little bit of a roll - which is the point at which she bottles out of the turn.

My simple advice would be to get her into a group lessons for the whole week - so that she can be with people who are learning at her level. When you ski with her in the afternoons then only ski runs that she's already skied. In the long term she'll ski a lot better for you not pushing the terrain she skis on.

Go back to the same resort a few years running so that she can measure her progress.

BASS are your best bet for group lessons. The Snow Institute, Alpine Learning Curves and Les Gets Snowsports are also very good, but tend not to run group lessons.

Have lessons yourself with any of these (PM me with what you like doing and I'll do you some recommendations for people to ask you'll enjoy having lessons with).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
onz wrote:
We've booked a session at Inside Out for Sunday - will let you know how we get on Smile

Well done and an excellent move snowHead . As a very satisfied client of InsideOut for quite a few years, I would highly recommend them. Miranda will have a great time with Rob on Sunday - I hope she comes here after to tell us how she got on.

I would also recommend that she continues with instruction on future holidays - perhaps if you go away twice in a year, see if one week can be an instruction-based week, such as those run by Inside Out in the Dolomites or an Inspired to Ski week. Good quality regular instruction can be key to progressing especially if she is lacking in confidence.

In Morzine, the only ski school I've had experience of is LGS & would highly recommend them. Tim Jackson is excellent http://www.skischool.co.uk/ .

Have fun! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Just look at the conditions in that vid - mouth watering! snowHead
snow report
Morzine recommendation - my wife, who is quite a nervous skier after an early accident in her ski days, sang the praises of Ben (Benoit) from The Snow School. I remember that she said something like this: "everyone else told me to focus on this and that, he was the only one who 'read' me well enough to say 'skiing is about feeling, you can relax more and it will work better'. And it did".

I'm not saying that's enough as instruction, by the way, but it was the right thing to say to her instead of heavy technical stuff - the technical bits and pieces came later.
ski holidays
Mike Hammond is one instructor I know working in Morzine, and having had a fair bit of instruction from him in the UK (while qualifying as an instructor) I'd be happy to recommend him. He can be a bit terse at times, but knows his stuff. http://www.skiskills.co.uk/
latest report
horizon wrote:
'skiing is about feeling, you can relax more and it will work better'

+1

I also feel your friend could do with more pressure on the outer ski to steer the turns. But relaxing is the main thing!
latest report
Thanks for all the advice. As Matt said I have a lesson signed up on Sunday so will let you know how I get on.
Miranda Smile
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads pardypops! snowHead And enjoy your session on Sunday with Rob Very Happy
snow report
pardypops, welcome to Snowheads! I'm sure you'll find Sunday's session useful. I've done a number of Rob & Scott's clinics and a friend did the confidence clinic a while ago and certainly benefited from it. Have fun and don't get too confused by the advice. Concentrate on one thing at a time and the improvements will build up.
ski holidays
pardypops, I hope you enjoy it! I know others have said it but you are doing brilliant given how few lessons you have had. I have had LOTS more lesson than you and still feel I need more and intend to book a couple hours private lesson when I go in April. Before my very first ski holiday we did some lessons on dry ski slope, then the first 5 or so whole weeks that I went, I had 5 full day tuition IIRC (I was 12 when we first went ranging through until I was 19) after that we did a couple of hOlidays without any, another holiday I did 3 half days tuition, we had a dry ski slope private lesson as well.
ski holidays
pardypops, welcome to the obsession! Have a great lesson on sunday, I'm sure you will get a lot out of it! Sounds like you have a very supportive relationship with your BF, good for you.
I was very intimidated by changing conditions when I had a similar amount of experience as you, don't be disheartened, have fun learning how to get past it. I was so busy pressuring myself to keep up with the boys I forgot it was my holiday too and I was supposed to enjoy myself!
Group lessons every morning helped enormously, I was able to concentrate on learning without feeling guilty for holding anyone back and the rest of the group would have a blast on steeper terrain and meet me after lunch for some gentle cruising.
Injury has meant my learning has been set back a bit now but I enjoy every minute on the mountain even in crappy conditions. Learning to ski slow on shallow slopes and gradually increasing the pitch so I never felt out of control was of great benefit. Mucking about on green runs to find out about edges was worthwhile too, you can read books/advice on here/watch videos until the cows come home but sometimes its getting out there and just having a go/making mistakes and learning from them that gets you moving forwards.
The most valuable lesson I had was in the baby terrain park, it was set up on a green slope in Rodkullen, more speed bumps than jumps and really designed for 5 year olds, we went over everything at a snails pace aiming not to get any air at all, the only way you can do this is with speed control and relaxed legs. I found out after they were teaching us about fore/aft balance and absorbtion- terms I had heard- words whose individual meaning I understood but had no idea what they meant in a practical sense, finally they made sense. I am far from stupid by the way, I actually did a-level physics at school and coached most of the family through their GCSE's sometimes understanding the forces in your brain is not the same as understanding them in your ankles/knees/hips. That session was great, we were in the kids park, acting like kids and having FUN, where previously as soon as I got out of control I'd tense up and feel panic rising, I was actually enjoying the rollercoaster effect and that park was scraped icy in a lot of places, previously the noises from my edges would have freaked me out, but I was loving it. I had not appreciated that actually I was meant to be on my edges a lot, my goal had previously been flat skis! No wonder I struggled to keep control of my speed in the turn previously.
I am not interested in becoming a park rat, my spine is far too fragile but I cannot resist practising turns through the half pipe now, I just love that feeling of having to turn quickly and feeling not quite safe but not really in danger either, like being at Alton towers with quicker queues! I used to hate the big bumps that appear at the bottom of busy runs at the end of the day, now I LOVE them, they are great fun, turning on top, turning between, using them to slow myself by turning uphill on them, none of this at speed by the way, just testing my edges and feeling the snow, you'll recognise me if you see me BTW, I'm the slightly demented looking woman who appears to be giggling for no reason.
I guess what I'm saying is embrace the conditions that scare you, but embrace them at a real slow pace so even if you fall its without real force and find something about them that you can LOVE. My previous fears are now my entertainment. Very Happy
latest report
kieranm wrote:
He can be a bit terse at times, but knows his stuff. http://www.skiskills.co.uk/

RAOFLMAO.

Completely agree with the way you've put that.
latest report
So...to keep you all updated... had a great lesson on Sunday with Rob. After a few initial shaky first runs alot of his advice and tips seemed to make things click more than they had before. Most helpfully was teaching me to not traverse the whole piste before making each turn as I think particularly on steeper terrain this just serves to psych myself out and leads to 'shopping for your turn' as Rob put it!
I'm going to try and keep up with lessons and give practicing at the dry ski slope near us in between times a go. Thanks again for all your advice and I'll keep you posted :0)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy