Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend trip to Garmisch

Poster: A snowHead
I am hoping to do a long weekend in Garmisch in March.
Not been there before.
I have to fly into Stuttgart so was thinking about using the train from the airport.
Any hints tips/experience gratefully received !
Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's not the easiest journey. Stuttgart Airport to Garmisch is 4 hours 40 minutes by train with changes at Stuttgart Hbf and Munich-Pasing.
Munich Airport would be better if possible with only 1 change and roughly half the time. 4 hours 40 is a big chunk at either end of only a long weekend trip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do trips to Garmisch fairly often, including weekend trips, but always fly to Munich. From Stuttgart, you might be better off going to Oberstdorf.

If you are set on going to Garmisch, it's a great town. There are numerous seperate ski areas, and which ones to visit depends on what kind of skier you are.

Can't comment on Oberstdorf, although I might go there over New Years.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
immer schuss, as mentioned above the journey is a bit long. Garmisch is definitely worth a visit though. The area consists of a number of ski areas, in Garmisch itself the main ones being The Classic area ( Hausberg / Kreuzeck and Alpspitz ) and the Zugspitze on the ( so called ) glacier. The Zugspitze is really worth a visit if you have decent weather and new snow. Powder heaven. Otherwise stick to the classic area.

The train journey to Oberstdorf is not much shorter unfortunately, but Oberstdorf is also worth a visit with a number of ski areas to work on, including the Fellhorn which shares the area with Kleinwalsertal in Austria.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info,I may take a car ( subject to weather ) and drive to Garmisch.
About 2.5 hrs I think ?
I have to do BHX toStuttgart as Flybe owe me a free flight ! ( they are good in that respect compared to Retardair ! )
I am trying to do as many Glaciers as possible so could tick the Zugspitz off my list !
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
immer schuss,
Quote:
I am trying to do as many Glaciers as possible so could tick the Zugspitz off my list
Should do that soon then. There's not much left of the glacier, just a patch of ice really. It'll be gone in another few years I think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am also considering Garmisch for a long WE. 5 of us (lads in their early 40s). I have had good reports on the ski area but I am a bit clueless on the apres.
What's it like? We're not planning on raving every evening but a few bars with good atmosphere/music would be good.
Thanks.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
immer schuss, Kruisler, Had a weekend here last year for a few FIS races, and I will be back for a casual family weekend,

We flew to Munich and drove down only an hour, we stayed at Forsthaus Graseck, it is really old school Bavarian charm, located a 10 minute drive from the main ski area close to the Olympic Stadium and Ski Jump and accessed by a Gondola like something from a James Bond movie!! It was EUR 30 a night, room was not en-suite but breakfast was amazing! Actually fell in love with the hotel it had so much charm!

Skiing is pretty good and enough to keep you busy for the weekend, lower runs suffer from poor snow but the stuff up top is really nice, if you get it in good conditions some of the steeper lower runs are great fun.

Apres seemed pretty lively around a few umbrella bars, can not comment really as I was there for other purposes!

Enjoy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kruisler, immer schuss, check the World Cup race calendar as there are 2 weekends this winter where the place will be packed out: one in January and one at the beginning of February (I think). The races take place on the Kandahar piste (speed events) and the Guadiberg (slalom). These areas will be restricted but the rest of the area is open and usually quite quiet on race/training days. The world cup circus usually rolls into town on the Monday or Tuesday before the races so they can get some training in on the speed courses.

Great atmosphere though that weekend - I went to the Ladies Super-G and a downhill last year and got some really good photos of all the top athletes thanks to Garmisch's "Walk of Fame" - the athletes walk along the front of the stands to exit the race area and they are really good about stopping and signing autographs, having photos taken and talking with fans.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi - there's a handy map for planning excursions like these - the SkiRail Map of the Alps. http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
Now available as an iPhone app too https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
I've been to Garmisch a couple of times including last winter - great place. Feels very different to the Austrian Alps. There's some absolutely cracking scenery and a real sense of remoteness.
Oh, and there's a local mountain with a very rude name which will amuse you if you have the sense of humour of a 14 year old schoolboy!
Have a great trip.
NN
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil Neige, He He fumble Bahn Twisted Evil
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Neil Neige, but you cannot ski it as they stopped skiing activities on there about 12 years or so ago. The Wankbahn does run in winter though and the lady in the mountain restaurant/hut at the top is used to giggling Brits coming along to have their postcards stamped!

In Swabia I think there is also a Wankdorf - not saying anything about the locals, although Swabes are supposed to be as tight-fisted as the Scots apparently Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Neil Neige, but you cannot ski it as they stopped skiing activities on there about 12 years or so ago. The Wankbahn does run in winter though and the lady in the mountain restaurant/hut at the top is used to giggling Brits coming along to have their postcards stamped!

Oh interesting - didn't realise you could ever ski on it. Yes, saw the railway when I was there in March.
Much hilarity all round!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Neil Neige, He He fumble Bahn

Ha the rude filter corrected my WankBahn post!!! Brilliant
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, we did Garmisch for four days last xmas and loved the skiing, two really different areas as already explained, both with plenty of options.

We stayed in a lovely hotel in the newer part of Garmisch (sorry cant remember the name), but to be honest we were a little disappointed with the après/nightlife, virtually non existent, we did venture quote a way from our hotel too.

The skibus to the ski areas in the morning was also a bit of a faff, very busy and traffic meant it took a while.

However, once on the slopes couldn't fault it!!
snow report
Neil Neige, It is a cable car not a railway. The railway goes up the Zugspitze from the middle of town!
snow conditions
I was there twice last year, It is very suitable for bringing on new skiers. First time we went we had no kids, and there was one bar that was a Mexican bar that was good craic, but we never found a place just to chill as soon as you finished the last run, the bar at the bottom was always closing, perhaps we leave it too late to finish.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy