Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whatever happened to pullover type ski jackets??

Poster: A snowHead
All I want is an outer shell gore tex jacket without a full length zip. Didn't seem like too big an ask. A few years back when I was last looking for ski jackets I seem to recall plenty around.
So why do they no longer seem to exist? Hell, doesn't even need to be a ski specific design but no one seems to be doing them any more. Thought I'd found one on the Arctyrx website but, no, click to choose and it's out of stock.
I'm intrigued - why should this be? Surely I can't be the only person in the world after this sort of garment. Weird....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I remember years ago that a company ( I forget which) were a bit peeved that people wanted a zip in their fleeces. I think the reason is that if you come to a halt or are in a pub, you can cool off quickly without having to disrobe and have to find a place to put said garment simply by unzipping.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sportspursuit had loads in their Mammut sale the other week. Try searching for half-zip or smock. Quite a few mountaineering and climbing shells are half-zipped.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got an old SOS one - but not goretex, vitually new as it was only worn twice,I just used a full jacket. Why dont you want a full zip jacket ? Cant see any real benefit of just having half a zip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gvj,

There's a Supreme store in Soho.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
http://rab.uk.com/products/mens-clothing/shell/demand-pull-on.html

I think the reason is mostly that zips have gotten much better so there is less cause other than saving weight/bulk to having a pull on design. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alans deep bath, err thanks; maybe a climbing type shell is what I'm looking for.Bones, love SOS stuff - that's more like what I was harking back to.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Modern zips don't let water through, so there's no need to put up with the faff off a 'pull-over-your-head' type jacket any more.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gvj, http://www.napapijri.com/gb
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These are available in a skiing version...

http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/waterproofs/fionn.html

Plus some more smocks from climbing manufacturers...

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/shell-clothing.php?range=8&product=12

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cat=28&products_id=313

http://www.firemore.com/garments/05_mt.html

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-knifeblade-pullover?p=83270-1-961
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like the look of the firemore stuff - anybody got any experience of them?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the leads guys. Nice to know they still exist. Now to try and decide which one!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm not sure why it's like that. Fashion, maybe. What would be difficult with a pullover-type jacket...? Maybe:

(a) If you have a jacket with a snow-skirt which fastens to the pants, that would be hard to do with a pullover and would generally be a bad idea. So I don't see how you could get a decent "snow seal" for back country stuff with a pullover-style jacket. So I'd guess you probably can get "pullover" style stuff, just not intended for serious (back country not park) use.

(b) Current coat fashion seems to still be for longer jackets covering the back bottom. That's not really going to work with a pullover.

(c) Using a transceiver may be a challenge with a pullover. You'd definitely have to take it off to set up (although people with zip jackets do that too), but you'd not be able to search very easily without being able to open the jacket I think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You've just missed a good sport pursuit offer on Berghaus Velum and Asgard goretex smocks. If I didn't already have a perfectly good Rab Demand I'd have gone for one of those. In non-hardshell land, Cioch's gear is very nice, and is a pretty good deal considering that it is no more expensive than Paramo's own stuff (Aspira Smock, etc) and made to measure. Buffalo and Montane both make similar gear (fibre pile/pertex outer) in smock form.

philwig wrote:
(a) If you have a jacket with a snow-skirt which fastens to the pants, that would be hard to do with a pullover and would generally be a bad idea. So I don't see how you could get a decent "snow seal" for back country stuff with a pullover-style jacket. So I'd guess you probably can get "pullover" style stuff, just not intended for serious (back country not park) use.

I've never used anything with a snowskirt. A decent hem seal over a pair of salopettes has always done me fine. Maybe I just haven't done enough arse first powerslides into deep powder.

philwig wrote:
(b) Current coat fashion seems to still be for longer jackets covering the back bottom. That's not really going to work with a pullover.

Not quite sure why you think pullover design precludes length. I'm pretty certain I've seen designs of jellaba which are pullovers that reach down to the feet! Maybe you're thinking of close fit? That would want hem and waist drawcords, or perhaps stretchy fabric, too. Not so great, I guess.

philwig wrote:
(c) Using a transceiver may be a challenge with a pullover. You'd definitely have to take it off to set up (although people with zip jackets do that too), but you'd not be able to search very easily without being able to open the jacket I think.

The zips in the pullover gear I've used have been more than deep enough to facilitate reaching in to deal with stuff on a transceiver harness.

Having said all that, I much prefer full jackets cos they're easier to vent and remove. Only my super lightweight stuff is in pullover form; my normal gear is not.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Iguana did a thinsulate version that was the best ski jacket I ever had. Then some low life toerag broke in and stole it. I tried for years to get a replacement to no avail. It was not the best looking jacket in the world (light blue with a massive blue lifelike iguana wrapped around from front to back - well, I liked it but the g/f didn't) but it worked superbly. Nothing since has even come close. Didn't need a snow lock because it had drawstings on the lower edge which you just hiked up to waist level and cinched tight, strong, long elasticated inner cuffs and huge pockets (double on the chest). Nice and baggy all round. Really came into it's own in powder.
snow conditions
That camo Supreme North Face above is listed at £699 on flea bay!! Are they freakin' kidding?? The camo pattern's not even that nice, it looks like a poor attempt at a twee Christmas card background.
latest report
http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYSMOCKVELEZADVENTUREMENS
snow report
gvj, I've got a pristine SOS ski sweater, great quality, plus a Dale of Norway Sport Ski jumper with wind-bloc, both the warmest pieces of kit ever. I've had half-zip Napapijri Skidoo jacket, SOS cordura Smock, and a White Stuff smock, and just love the retro-style and easy on-off.
Last week on Ebay was a new Napapijri jacket for £175............... bargain snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy