Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

genuine winter tyre question - are michelin A4 alpins great or rubbish?

Poster: A snowHead
Our pirelli snow control 190s will last this season, and then need replacing (will be down to 3-4mm) - and I've just in passing read a 'Which' report that puts the Michelin Alpin A4 at the top of the table. I have always used Pirellis, which came third in the comparison, and when I have used the Michelins (on various hire cars in CH) they have been pants. They just don't get us up places which I know well, and have been up with no trouble on Pirellis. But I note that they have changed the tread pattern radically on the Alpins. Anyone with any experience of the them in this new guise?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austrian AA equivalent rates them as one of the best winter tyres around ....
http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C1389028%2C%2C

Dry / Wet / Snow / Ice / Wear / Total - lower marks are better.

Significantly better than the Pirelli model tested too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ADAC like 'em:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/winterreifen/2012_winterreifen_Test_205_55_R16.aspx
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...I know I shouldn't use the word 'interesting' on a winter tyre thread, but actually that's very interesting. It means that the rank order is quite volatile year on year, presumably as companies compete through different compound and tread pattern. The 'Which' report stated that the Alpins lasted well, too; which is a typical Michelin characteristic. Hmmm, might be time to switch brand loyalty. Many thanks for the link to the Austrian site.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It also depends on the tyre size - the Pirelli 190's came out better last year than the 210's tested this year.

http://www.oeamtc.at/?id=2500%2C1371166%2C%2C
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2, I hope to God they live up to their reputation as they are what I have on my car.

They seem not to notice yesterday at Hintertux as the car park attendants directed me into a field of snow ice and mud! The car behind me could not cope and needed help. Same the day before at Stubai come to think of it - no problems whatsoever on ice, compacted snow or slushy mud. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done 5 winters in the Alps with Alpin 3s on a Subaru Legacy and never had to put chains on. Need new tyres for this winter and very tempted to go with Michelins again but they are super pricey. Need to find out if the 20% off deal at Costco includes winter tyres.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Doesn't look like they are recommeneded for 4X4's though, any suggestions on a Pathfinder, really don't fancy trying to put chains on it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Standee, happy with Continental Winter Contacts on our X-Trail.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2, mrs sunnbuel has had a set of Alpin A4's on her yaris for 3 years, er all year round Embarassed they seem to do the job on lancashire/yorks/highland winter roads - which as you should know are much worse than t'alps. snowrider, got them on costco deal when i asked nicely wink plenty of tread left.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Standee,

Dunlop
SP Winter Sport 3D

Goodyear
UltraGrip SUV

Continental
ContiCrossContact Winter
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Checked out my size at Blackcircles earlier today, and A4s come in at £130 each. Checked with Costco in the afternoon and they want £141 - but 20% off from Monday if you buy four.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2, I've got Michelin Latitude HP Alpin on my Subaru, can't fault their performance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, RobW, DB, sunnbuel, Hells Bells, Samerberg Sue, altis, ....many thanks all - very helpful - SH chatting at its best. As I mentioned, around 2009 I had some hire cars from Geneve which were shod with Michelins of that time, and they performed very badly - no shortage of tread - just terrible grip in hard snow and in a couple of inches of new. Glad to know that Michelin have got their act together and improved them - and it sounds a subtstantial improvement. Mytyres have them for 87.00 gbp and I can get them fitted pretty cheaply locally. Once again, many thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My family in Norway say that most people use Continental wionter contact or Halkapinia(?). I think they are called Nokian in the UK.

Any main brand like Continental or Michelin will be better than cheapies.
ski holidays
RobW, way cheaper than that at MyTyres or even Amazon! Take a look at the price comparison sites for the best buy snowHead
snow report
Not directly relevant to the OP, but it's worth remembering that Michelin, Kleber and BF Goodrich are all the same company and sometimes you can get the same tyre in one brand a lot cheaper than in the other. This is certainly true of some of their van tyres.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
RobW, way cheaper than that at MyTyres or even Amazon!

You must be looking a different size. MyTyres want £131.80 (unfittted) or £145.80 (fittted) for what I need.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Standee,

Dunlop
SP Winter Sport 3D

Goodyear
UltraGrip SUV

Continental
ContiCrossContact Winter

Thanks, will see which I can get the best deal on.
latest report
valais2, i have a set of Michelin Alpin4's on my Ford Fusion in the Winter.
Cannot fault them. Impressive grip and braking performance on snow and ice.
ski holidays
I have Bridgestone runflat blizzaks on my countryman all4 cooper s and they are very good.
Last year on the way to SF no need for chains. We just passed all the chain fitting cold handed brits...
Just put them on (sadly for UK only this year) Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy