Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

one-to-one freestyle coaching

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any recommendations for one-to-one freestyle coaching? I'm quite happy with jumps, and can pull a few tricks, but while I'm not intending to do anything crazy, I just cannot seem to manage a 360. I'm doing well if I get 180 round, and normally it just ends up a jumped turn.

I can't believe I've been skiing almost 30 years, can get down almost anything in almost any conditions and yet I seem to have a block when it comes to this one thing.

I'm considering getting a couple of hours coaching to find out what I'm doing wrong and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I know the theory, but somewhere along the line, I'm not putting it into practice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feef, it's soooo in your head! Funny thing is some guys I know can pull 360s but shy away from 180s, something to do with learning on straight skis they said "whatever they are?" Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know it's in my head.. which is why I'm thinking a bit of help might just poke me in the right direction. Smile

The frustrating thing for me is that this is the first, and probably only thing that I have a block with.

Everything else I've wanted to do, I've managed to do by applying the theory and analysing my own actions.

But with this.. nothing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, does your local fridge do any freestyle coaching?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You are not alone with ^ all of that! Sorry not helping am I!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hemel's coaching is not running for a few weeks at the moment, and they couldn't tell me if one-to-one was possible for freestyle.

They do it at MK but it's a group thing, where I'd rather have a one-to-one and just concentrate on what I want to get nailed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hemel's looks worthy of a fiver!!

£5 freestyle coaching session Every Friday 18:30 – 19:30 & 21:00 – 21:30
The coaching session is aimed at people who have been to a few freestyle nights before, and have some basic freestyle experience. A normal Freestyle Friday Pass must be purchased as well! You can only buy this by calling 0845 258 9000 or purchasing at check in.

http://www.thesnowcentre.com/freestyle/freestyle-passes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, yeah, but I phoned them earlier this evening and the coaching isn't running for a few weeks. I was at MK last night and after a few aborted jumps thought this might be the next best course of action.

Ideally, I'd get a session in before I'm away at the beginning of december, but that's looking unlikely.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef, maybe give Hemel a call. They usually have free informal coaching on a Friday evening (although it won't be on next Friday 9/11/2012, as there is a freestyle jam). They also have coaching on Thursdays when it is a bit quieter. The coaching is a little more structured on a Thursday but I think that it is a little more expensive.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, it was free last time I went - which was about 6 months ago but guess it getting busier.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 2-11-12 21:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef, seriously though how much freestyle training have you done so far?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gatecrasher wrote:
feef, seriously though how much freestyle training have you done so far?

No 'formal' training at all. Just watching others and working it out myself.

straight jumps of kickers, back scratcher, daffys, mule kicks (showing my age now!) as well as some more 'new school' grabs and what not are no problem. Neither is riding switch/backwards... but for some reason, I'm blocking on a 360. I know it's got to be a mental block.

I can jump while standing on snow, in ski boots, and get round fine.. I can ski a 360 on the flat.. I just can't do it in the air.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freestyle coaching isn't going to be that useful, it's just going to take time, but for £5 it's worth a try.

getting a 180 is easy, I managed it within the first 4/5 times I tried a jump, 360s were Be Nice please! imposssible, spent opening day hitting a 4 foot jump at least 75 times just constantly crashing and hiking up, took a lot of trying but it was worth it, throwing your arms helps a huge amount when you're learning it. Post a video if you're looking for technique advice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tamworth do coaching sessions every week if you are desperate enough to travel that far feef
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
feef, ok well I reckon I've done at least 25 hours of coached freestyle and still struggling to get my head "out" of this, no amount of enthusiasm and vocal encouragement has done the trick.

What I've practiced during coaching-

360 jumps stationary with ski boots on.

Wind up the opposite way just before take off.

Lead with the head looking over the shoulder through the turn.

Keep your arms in close after take off to speed up rotation.

Spot your landing.

Even knowing what I should do, my "head" stops the desired outcome!
I got closer this year, the plan was to go higher and higher on 180s so I know in my head that I have enough time to get round on a 3, I could do pretty high fast (for me) 180s with a grab or two thrown in but still no joy with the 3, when I really commit to going for the 3 I actually end up doing a really cr@p 180, maybe it's something to do with my age, mortgage statement I dunno

If you figure the head side out let me know!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 2-11-12 22:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gatecrasher, that sounds very familiar Smile I'm glad it's not just me.
ski holidays
another way that might work for you is rather than aiming for 360s, aim for 270s, in other words intentionally crash, that way you're not worried about crashing, it might sound stupid but if you can convince yourself you're fine with crashing, you WILL manage. Once you can consistently do 270s you'll be able to make the jump to 360.
latest report
mag1882, that's good advice, that's pretty much how I see most others crack it, land 270 and slide the last bit out! I've tried that also.
snow report
Much less painful if you cheat 90 at the start of the spin rather than the end and learn it across the hill rather than a jump down the hill.
1. Practise spinning 270 standing still. If you find this tough get some shorter lighter skis.
2. Traverse across the slope and then turn up the hill, keep turning up and then just as you stop do your 270 spinning tips up the hill and you should land stationary facing straight down the hill. (if you turn 45 up the hill you only need to do a 225).
3. Practise this until you get comfortable with the rotation and figure out which way you prefer spinning if you are not sure.
4. Find a bump / mogul / ridge and repeat approaching in a traverse just at the speed that going up the bump / ridge will make you stop at the top and do your stationary 270.
5. Approach a bit faster (so you would be at walking speed at the top) and do exactly the same movements, the extra height will allow you to spin 360 and ski away in your traverse.
6. You can now do a 360, practise this lots across the hill before you try on a straight jump.

Work through this progression and you should get it, if you still need help come and have a lesson with me in Meribel and I'll sort you out.
snow conditions
On a similar topic, what is the best way to learn a 180...?
ski holidays
Sanityclawz, by just doing it
davkt, what nights is the training at tamworth?
latest report
snowrider, that's a plausible method, we did the traverse- turn up the hill- jump the remainder to total 180 from original traverse direction, then straight traverse straight- jump 180 to get the 180s sorted, but never thought about spin up the hill- jump to falline.

I've always practiced 360s at speed because the dryslope I used had a big hip with a long approach ramp so you needed to straight line it from the top to get enough airtime for a novice frestyler to complete a 360, I think this is half the mental problem, a shorter kicker/bump and slower approach might help.
snow report
Sanityclawz, As above!
snow conditions
Sanityclawz wrote:
On a similar topic, what is the best way to learn a 180...?

From experience: wearing a pear of impact shorts.
ski holidays
I've done an excellent weekend of snowboard freestyle with Definition. They do ski courses and private instruction as well.

http://www.definitioncamps.com/courses/ski-freestyle/
snow report
I have had a chat with the guys at Hemel and I have a route to take.

Watch this space.
snow report
gatecrasher wrote:
snowrider, that's a plausible method, we did the traverse- turn up the hill- jump the remainder to total 180 from original traverse direction, then straight traverse straight- jump 180 to get the 180s sorted, but never thought about spin up the hill- jump to falline.

I've always practiced 360s at speed because the dryslope I used had a big hip with a long approach ramp so you needed to straight line it from the top to get enough airtime for a novice frestyler to complete a 360, I think this is half the mental problem, a shorter kicker/bump and slower approach might help.

This is the problem so many times. People try 360s, do a 270 and think, I didnt make 360 because I didnt go high enough, I will go faster next time. Wrong, you didnt make 360 because your technique was wrong. All going faster does is make them less likely to commit and make it hurt more when they crash. When I teach 360s pupils first successful 360 is about 3 inches of air and 1 foot of travel.
ski holidays
try speaking to jay at maverix, Simon does a lot of his ski coaching (hemel,mk, cas & tam), top guy, good coach and tons of enthusiasm Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowrider, I have to agree with all of that!
snow report
snowrider wrote:
gatecrasher wrote:

This is the problem so many times. People try 360s, do a 270 and think, I didnt make 360 because I didnt go high enough, I will go faster next time. Wrong, you didnt make 360 because your technique was wrong. All going faster does is make them less likely to commit and make it hurt more when they crash. When I teach 360s pupils first successful 360 is about 3 inches of air and 1 foot of travel.

I totally agree.. I'm well aware it's not speed or height that makes it but correct rotation and technique.

The fact that you can see folk pulling a full 360 by dropping 30cm from a rail onto the flat demonstrates that neither speed nor height are the important factors.
snow conditions
feef, can't help with advice on the coaching front (unless you are out in the 3V..) but can offer the following thoughts as someone who has coached low-level freestyle & thrown a fair few 3s over the years (though not so much in recent years..) -

You don't need lots of air - as per your post above - but it definitely helps to not be hurrying it around - a big green or small blue kicker is bang on - smaller than this & you will have to throw the spin hard with more chance of throwing yourself off balance & setting up excessive movements for when you want to go bigger.

Lots of 180s is a good start - start off on a gentle slope sans bumps first then progress to small bumps/jumps - hard to explain quickly without demos but set your body rotating slowly and then rotate your legs under this as quick as you need to to get the skis right on 180 for the landing. Do this lots. Try going from switch to forwards as well (harder).

Take the 180s on to bigger bumps until it feels like you are having to rotate really slowly to not go beyond 180.

For 3s once you have speed-checked your jump for a smooth landing aim for the same speed, pop as normal, and as you pop start the spin - hips & shoulders. "pop & pull" are the 2 words I kept in my head - once airborne use your abs/core etc muscles to pull you around the spin - look for your landing, stomp it & ride away with your trousers hanging round your knees and boxers showing to receive 'mad props' from the kids....

Its all well & good trying 3s on the spot but the big difference is doing the same with momentum involved (ie at some point you will be travelling backwards through the air) - get your head round this and you are sorted.
snow conditions
I had this exact same problem a while ago. That little bit of self doubt/survival instinct kicks in the second u leave the lip, and you stall and only make it half way round. I met some Swedish guys in Les Deux Alpes who were all serious park skiers and I asked them how do I get round it. One of them said something along the lines of "ski up to the kicker, go over it, then turn around in the air". Bizarrely it worked, the block was lifted, and I can do it without thinking twice now.

It was an entirely psychological problem, and peer pressure did the trick for me.

If you don't get sorted before you next go away, try picking a resort with airbags in the park. If you can get used to the feeling knowing you have a safe landing, it makes it a lot easier.

Good luck!
snow report
I'd be happy if I could do a star jump lol

Good luck feef!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy