Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remember "those" Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Just grabbed myself a pair of Salomon Pocket Rockets off Ebay for a lot less than a night out.... I had a pair a few years back and loved them, for some reason that I can't remember I sold them. Looking forward to heading out on them again (going to be used for telemarks). I hope they're as good as I remember...

What's your favourite ski from your past....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BenAS wrote:
, for some reason that I can't remember I sold them. ...

Cos they had all the edge hold in firm conditions of bambi on ice? Probably make a reasonable enough tele ski to learn on though -soft flex won't spank your ass.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BenAS wrote:
Just grabbed myself a pair of Salomon Pocket Rockets off Ebay for a lot less than a night out.... I had a pair a few years back and loved them, for some reason that I can't remember I sold them. Looking forward to heading out on them again (going to be used for telemarks). I hope they're as good as I remember...

What's your favourite ski from your past....

Ha........ I wondered which mug bought them! Toofy Grin

Fave ski from the past...... without doubt Salomon 2S 9000 Equipe, closely followed by Dynastar Coupe du Monde SL (the black with orange sidewalls).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My favourites are on the wall of a sports bar now - bright blue Rossi DV Techs with jade green colored bindings. Shock

2 metre skis - those were the days eh? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've still got my Dynastar Assault V8

Loved them!

I'm tempted to take them up the fridge next time I'm out Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossignol Stratos, 215s. Super cruising ski.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the talk of 165/175 skis on some posts makes me wince and think *mini skis*.

The Sally 9000Equipes were "Power 8" in Sally speak ............210 cms to the uninitiated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I loved my pocket rockets. Sold them to cski, she put touring bindings on and took the nice bindings for some proper skis
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossignol 4S back in the day

modern stuff prob the original volkl 4 star

BenAS, pocket noodles.....things have moved on a bit since them....I think your memory may be rose tinted.

Mine were great for about 2 weeks...then quite quickly became very dreadful
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Head TR 9's 205... loved 'em.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz, 4S?!!

No no no no no!

Rossi only got their mojo back with the 7S. Now there was an epic ski.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Might not be cool but I agree with BenAS that the pocket rockets were great skis in their time Very Happy

Skis have changed and improved for sure but they must count as one of the most influential designs of last 20yrs
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm glad a few (well two!) people agree with me about the pocket rockets, sure there not going to be as good as modern skis, but I loved them, and they were iconic in there time

I'm not planning on using them all that much and certainly not in anger.. if it's hard pack they will be staying at home, but I think they wil be great fun for messing about on... anyways I've got them now and I plan on having fun...now has anyone got an Monoski they want to get rid of ....? Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
K2 Big Kahuna, first of the fats never imported to Europe. 190 cm crud buster skied like a slalom fabulous. Years later I loved the Mission, brought a pair home from France compared them to the retired K2, identical in shape and flex.

Last time I saw a pair of pocket rockets was on the feet of a French doctor a year ago, I said after you and during the first turn he tripped and fell the whole way down Grande Couloir at very high speed, his helmet cam worked after as well.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 3-11-12 1:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anyone want a mono ski?
snow report
Salomon Force 9s. 3S I think. Lovely skis, although they could be a bit lively at times. Such an improvement on anything I'd skied before; although that probably says as much about the quality of my previous skis as it does about the Force 9s Very Happy
snow conditions
feef, I've still got Dynastar Assault V8 in the cellar. First decent skis I bought. 200cm and I thought I was one of the cool guys with the longest skis in the gondola queue until about a year after I got them all the other (genuine) cool guys started turning up with those 175cm short wide waisted things. I asked our ski school owner who we now hire from what he thought of them. One word answer - obsolete!

Might give them a go this season
ski holidays
Mt wrote:
anyone want a mono ski?

I got 3 monoskis, Dynastar Kevlar 180 cms, a White Knuckle Carver 173 cms (quite rare), and a Snowshark Mountain Gun 195 cms.

I'm always looking to extend the retro-quiver,what have you got?
snow report
Not especially retro, but the Volkl Race Tiger will always hold a special place in my heart. It was well beyond my capabilities when I hired a pair from the guy with a quizzical 'are you sure these are for you?' expression in Hintertux - 'these are our top-end race ski' he explained. They taught me a great deal about my skiing. I've had lessons with instructors where I've learned less than my first 2 hours on those things. The fact it was concrete-firm sheet ice at the top, combined with those, was when I learned to actually use edges.
snow report
Mr Piehole, Volkl Race Tigers clinched my first repping interview.

Roger C, I think the really influential one was the original Xcream series, pre-dating the pocket limp squibs by a couple of years.

deerman, Just how old are you? You are a time lord and I claim my sixpence.
snow conditions
First day of my 3rd ski trip (Kitzbuhel 2000) I was skiing like a muppet (even by my standards:lol: ) A mate advised me to change my skis at the hire shop. I didn't even know you could do that. Returned to the pistes the next day with a pair of Fischer RC4s (don't know which ones) and skied the short, steep black piste over and over, just because I could. I know it sounds a cliche , but they really did transform my skiing. Promised myself I'd buy some (until I saw the price in the shops Shocked) Still regret not doing so.
latest report
Gaz C, you can still get RC4s (modern versions) - it's just Fischer's race/high end piste line. Come in slalom or GS flavours (probs DH too, if you're mad).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 3-11-12 23:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
clarky999, Ah, that explains why I still see so many flouro-yellow Fischers, with newer graphics, all over the Alps. The next season I returned to Kitzbuhel, specifically asked for (and got) RC4s and (in my head) skied like a god all week. At the end of the week, I bought a pair of Salomon X-Rides because they were half the price of the RC4s. They weren't a bad ski but I was always asking myself, 'What if I had bought those RC4s...?'

I currently ski on Fischer AMC76s. Not sure if I need another pair of skis, (see my post about the Élan Alu 888s) but if I had the dosh to burn.... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Gaz C, sport conrad at the end of the season has a sale, usually includes rc4s of various types
snow report
carroz, Cheers. I'll keep an eye open, but my mate Gaz H is twisting my arm to go to the EoSB, so provided I get the time off work, I'm more likely to blow the budget there Smile
ski holidays
Rossignol Strato and Dynastar Course!
snow report
K2 710 Comp 205cm with Marker turntable bindings boy were they light and quick turning
snow conditions
Mt wrote:
anyone want a mono ski?

Er, yes please?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, Check out my reduced listing................ £75 delivered.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
rooski10, rooski10, ............ Marker Comp 14 TT bindings................. industry standard..................perfect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy