Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
Just finished packing, off to Mayrhofen in the morning Very Happy Anyone else out there for the season?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will be there for a week on 19th Jan, staying at the Neuhaus. Can't wait! Never been to Mayrhofen before so looking forward to it. What will you be doing for the season googiew?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
heading there on the 2 feb . 5th time . staying in the garni eder . not stayed there before but gets good reviews on the internet. coxy , the neuhaus is only a short walk to the train station . great for getting to other resorts . all included on the lift pass. also , ques at the penken lift in mayrhofen are pretty bad , so get there early or later . or better still get the ski bus to the horberg lift , much quieter. any questions you have , fire away. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh and get to the sports bar in the strass hotel at night , this guy is there again this year . really good .
http://www.briancristopher.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
coxy84, my aim is to do as much skiing combined with as little work as possible! Agree with tim000, if you have not been to Mayhofen before you will love it. Neuhaus is a good choice and you should definately make sure you head down the valley Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tim000 wrote:
oh and get to the sports bar in the strass hotel at night , this guy is there again this year . really good .
http://www.briancristopher.com/

^ he's absolutely brilliant! Really funny as well. We were in there most nights watching him. Rocking apres in the Ice Bar, then the Strass Hotel in the evenings.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
googiew, for a day out down the valley which would be your choice of he following:

Start in Gerlos and work back to Zell am Ziller for the train back to Hof at the end of the day. Or
Start and finish the day in Zell am Ziller having gone over to Gerlos.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
done the zell-gerlos-zell day a few times . you can do it in a day and we didn`t get the train until 10. i did it on a board ,so there is 1 run on the way over that is flat for a bit . so board off and walked for 100m . great wide blue run as you drop down to the gerlos area. this year we are planning on getting the bus from zell to plattenkogel , which is the other side of gerlos and ski/board back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tim000, Cheers, looking forward to Zell-Gerlos-Zell then.

Can anybody recommend similar days not too far from Mayrhofen?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kaltenback is great by train and of coarse the hintertaux if it`s sunny . snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tim000, Can you walk from the train station to the lift station in Kaltenbach?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Circusthing, Yep about 200m if that. Come out of the station and cross over to the roundabout. There is a big supermarket building on the left of the road that leads to the lifts, plus a bloody big sign you cannot fail to see! Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, thank you that looks like another good day out.

And thank you once again for your translation help when my daughter hurt her knee in March ( you translated some the medical notes). She's made a full recovery, no doubt due to the brilliant care she received in Austria. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Circusthing, good to hear that she made a full recovery.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Circusthing, yep , not far from the train station to the lifts . 2/3 mins walk. and a great run back down at the end of the day . one of the highlights of the week if the snows good. Smile
snow conditions
tim000, We're planning on skiing in some of the other resorts actually, and saw from trip advisor that the hotel is by the train station. What are the costs involved in taking the train to say Zell am Ziller and how long would it take?

I've seen lots of people complain about Mayrhofen due to the one lift up - is it really that bad? We'd normally be up and trying to get one of the first lifts up in the mornings - is there a huge queue then? Also do you have download in the evening or can you ski down in to town? We're also looking at things to do after skiiing in the evenings (apart from drinking), has anyone tried the 7km long toboggan run? Any good?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-11-12 21:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
coxy84 wrote:
tim000, We're planning on skiing in some of the other resorts actually, and saw from trip advisor that the hotel is by the train station. What are the costs involved in taking the train to say Zell am Ziller and how long would it take?

Costs are zero - travel along the entire Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway from Mayrhofen at the top of the valley to Jenbach at the bottom of the valley (stopping en route at several stops including the ski areas of Zell am Ziller and Kaltenbach) is free with your liftpass. Madeye-Smiley

The trains run every half hour, see timetable (currently shows Summer timetable, the winter timetable starts Dec 9th).
snow conditions
coxy84, I've never experienced the Penken queues being anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe. Every gondola to get onto a ski area will have a peak time and the Penken is no different. On occasions, what appear to be long queues, have moved very quickly. I balance this against the fact that it goes from and drops off right in the middle of town.

Your hotel ski room is about 75 meters from the train/bus station so it will be esay to get the ski-bus to Horberg(?) and you'll have next to no queues and lift straight to the heart of the Penken area.

The only things I have discovered to do après ski other than drinking have been............
Eating.
Dancing.
Sleeping after drinking.
ski holidays
Sounds great! Really looking forward to getting there now! Will definitely be making use of the train to ski the other areas on the pass. snowHead
ski holidays
Agree re the queue thing, it looks bad at 8.45, but moves along quite quickly.
snow report
tim000 wrote:
heading there on the 2 feb . 5th time . staying in the garni eder . not stayed there before but gets good reviews on the internet. coxy , the neuhaus is only a short walk to the train station . great for getting to other resorts . all included on the lift pass. also , ques at the penken lift in mayrhofen are pretty bad , so get there early or later . or better still get the ski bus to the horberg lift , much quieter. any questions you have , fire away. Very Happy

Hi Tim - the Garni Eder is a lovely little b&b, I stayed there last year. Christine & Markus Eder run it and they are great people, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I did a season in Mayr and have been back for countless holidays since and the Eder is the best accomodation I have found.
latest report
Stupid desk-side window! can see snow capped mountains... so jealous right now!
snow conditions
Are there any Skiset hire shops in Mayrhofen? I've just received an e-mail offering my 45% discount ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:
Are there any Skiset hire shops in Mayrhofen? I've just received an e-mail offering my 45% discount ! Toofy Grin

Can you email the promo code to us all?
snow conditions
googiew,
I suppose your there now ... but am I reading this right?
"off to Mayrhofen in the morning" ... Friday 2nd of November!

Somehow I don't think you will have to worry about too big a queue at the Penken.

You may find a bit of a queue at the bottom of the Hintertux though.

I know the weather is quite chilly but you'll find the valley pretty empty till Christmas.
latest report
So any recommendations for good mountain restaurants and happy hour après beers? We went to Zell am See this year and the après was very limited so I'm looking forward to staying somewhere with a bit more life in the evenings. Mad
snow report
DrLawn, I was at Hintertux last week on the bank holidays and there were no significant queues either going up or down. They had both sets of gondolas working in the up direction in the morning and again when the masses started coming down in the afternoon. In between only the Gletscherbus I, IIand III were open. More than adequate to cope the masses skiing to and wanting to go back up.

Rumours of the horrendous lift queues are greatly exaggerated by people too lazy to look at the alternatives or who feel everyone else should find an alternative and leave them to enjoy their peace and quiet. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DrLawn, ha yeah it's pretty quiet. It's not ideal coming this early, but it's how my leases worked out. I'm sure ill manage though! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy