Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some help on choosing ski gloves, what sort of brands and models to look for and where to buy them at a good price. I'm looking for them to last a season in Fernie, BC and then I'm doing a month in Banff as well - so I'd like them to be able to cope with some serious cold and be durable.

Some of the Hestra models look like exactly what I'm after, but I don't really know where to buy them from without breaking the bank. Ideally I don't want to be spending much more than £50. Are there any other brands that compare to Hestra I should think of? At this rate I might just go and get my gloves when I'm actually in canada but it'd be nice to have everything before I go.

Thanks for any help, hoping for a bit of discussion. Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've already missed the sales - they're all in the summer. Got my Hestras for £50 (down from £95), bargain. Great gloves, very durable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes Hestra are pricey but looked after will last years and are easily the best gloves I've used. Keep an eye on ebay, I picked up a pair of last seasons short army leather this time last year from a trade seller who had loads at around £30
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buy em when you get out there
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love my Hestra Army Leather Heli. Leather palms and fingers and a removable insulating fleece liner which makes drying and cleaning so much easier than 'normal' padded gloves
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I know I'm coming in a bit late and missed the sales, which is a shame and the biggest reason I'm considering just waiting til I get to canada. For whatever reason I didn't think I'd buy them here, which was pretty dumb now looking back at it. Oh well, got everything else at such good prices I shouldn't complain!

Cheers davkt, that's what I'm gonna do. At the moment there's a good looking pair of size 8 gloves on there but I'm a 9 unfortunately. According to the size chart anyway.

Edit: wow this is getting replies fast! From the looks of it, I'll just buy when I'm out there unless something comes up on ebay. I'm getting the impression nothing else compares to Hestra from these responses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you tried Hestras for size, I'm normally a size 9 in gloves but am consistently an 8 for Hestras
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This has been done to death. My 2p just get some of sniowshepherd's cheapy leather workers' gloves then see if you want to upgrade to a branded pair when you're out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Venitex:

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Gloves

Mutt's nuts for £15
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DannyB01 wrote:
I'm getting the impression nothing else compares to Hestra from these responses.

Plenty of other great gloves out there too - Ortovox, Black Diamond, Acteryx (but pricey), and the cheap ones SnowShepherd sells. I just like the craftsmanship that goes into the Hestras (handmade, family company), and love how supple the leather is.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't tried them on for size which is a bit dodgy, but I measured according to their lengths and it looked like I'm a size 9 due to the length of my fingers. davkt do you find that size 8 heastras fit you because of their width or length? Or both? I'm closer to a size 8 in width, but size 9 in length so thought going with size 9 is the right choice.

I do already have ski gloves so I don't necessarily need them now, this information is very helpful and exactly what I'm looking for, now I know what sort of brands to look at (thanks for that). I love the way the Hestras look though with that leather, partly why I want them so much I'll admit. What about Kinco gloves?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
length mostly the fit round my hand feels normal but there is room for my fingers and a bit of space left in my short Armys and fingers spot on in my Skicross'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DannyB01, Might be worth having a look at these,

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,13/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davkt - it says they're 7.2" for a size 8 according to evo's size chart, but I measure about 7.6" which is a size 9 for length - would you say I'd fit into a size 8? If so I'll get the pair that's on ebay now.

@charlie.wilkinson - I'd thought about getting those when I went to see Jon but I forgot. Which is why I ask now what peoples' opinions are of them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Go to TK MAxx if you can - they do hestra.
snow conditions
altis, said
Quote:

Venitex:
http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/Ski-Gloves
Mutt's nuts for £15
+1 for these :
got mine a whole 5p cheaper from >Amazon< Toofy Grin
ski holidays
DannyB01, Well as close as I can measure it myself lengthwise I come out at about 7.9" (20cm). My skicross gloves are a snug with with no real gap between my finger tip and the glove ends, the short armys seem a little longer with a small (5mm or so) gap between finger tip and glove end.
ski holidays
Love my Hestra Vertical Cuts. Love the mrs Hestra Heli's even more. So, so cosy. Well worth the extra money.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
DannyB01 wrote:
I'm getting the impression nothing else compares to Hestra from these responses.
love how supple the leather is.

Exactly that. It's how they feel.
snow report
[quote="DannyB01". I'm looking for them to last a season in Fernie, BC and then I'm doing a month in Banff as well - so I'd like them to be able to cope with some serious cold and be durable)[/quote]

You want to get involved with these guys - great value all round , - I have some Hestra lobsters and they need a lot of wax!

http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp
latest report
hestra models size up differently too. really you want a pair that fit properly to be as warm as poss.
snow report
I have the SealSkinz mittens which are amazing. There's like a glove inside and then the mitten shell is completely waterproof.w
ski holidays
Tried some Hestra 3 fingers Seth Morrisons today and was an 8 in those in those as well so think the Evo size chart is out as I come out as almost a 10 on that!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 3-11-12 15:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Fantastic, thanks for the continued helpful responses everyone, I love this place. snowHead

mishmash, thanks that site looks great. I'll sign up when I'm over there and use it to get my avalanche safety stuff (already dreading the price but looking forward to the peace of mind more).

RattytheSnowRat, damn I knew I should've gone there yesterday when I was in town! I'll aim to next time, hadn't realised they were any good for ski gear.

geoffers and altis, if I don't get hestras I'll save the cash and get those. Thanks. Smile

Feast, thanks, I'm confident I wouldn't be able to go wrong with Hestras now. Does anyone know what type these are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hestra-Ski-Gloves-/290803001714?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Skiing_Snowboarding_Clothing_LE&hash=item43b535a972

They look beefy but good. I'd need to get some Nikwax or something too right?

Alans deep bath, yeah, guess that's more incentive to try TKMaxx and size up there.

RibenaRockstar, I'm spoilt for choice now! Those do look good actually.

davkt, thanks, you've helped me a lot actually! I reckon an 8 would be fine for me then, probably going to get the ones on ebay and if it doesn't work I'll resell them.

Thanks everyone!
snow conditions
I'm a bit of a whore for Black Diamond gloves:

L->R: Midweight Powerstretch, Kingpin, Guide.
snow conditions
TK Maxx is always a bit hit an miss, sometimes you'll go in and its nothing but dare2be or like Derby last week not a ski glove in sight, other times you'll get fantastic bargains. My Rossi jacket and Hyra softshell both came from Takky at aboyt £30 each.
ski holidays
Oh and those in the ebay link are Alpine Pro Skicross, love mine to bits they are going into their 4th winter now with a week or 2 in the mountains each year and regular trips to Tamworth fridge in between and still pretty much good as new (you do need to treat the leather every now and then with the Hestra leather balm or something like saddle soap). They are quite a close fitting glove, in fact pretty much the closest fitting ski gloves I've come across, and no where near as bulky as the ebay pic makes them look. Given your fingers are a little shorter than mine I think these will be fine size wise. They are my first choice glove most days with the sort Armys for if I've managed to soak them and the new 3 fingers for if it gets really really cold in L2A in January!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 3-11-12 15:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
DannyB01, size 8 in one model of Hestra wont necessarily fit the same as size 8 in another. If you're having to buy second hand gloves from eBay to afford them just get something else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
meh, I do really like the look of those I have to admit.

davkt, thanks for that, guess they're what I'm looking for then. Very Happy

Alans deep bath, but going off davkt's information it sounds like I'll be alright. Like I said I can always resell them and I'd like to get them if I can. It's not that I can't afford them, it's that I hate paying retail!
snow conditions
DannyB01, they're at least as good as Hestras offerings.
ski holidays
I got some of these off a seller on ebay.com

http://kinco.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=43&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

Dirt cheap and they didn't attract any vat or import tax either. I'd go for a size down compared to your normal size as they come up a bit on the big side. Only just got them so can't say how well they wear, but I think they'll be good.
snow report
davkt, hush your mouth! We take what the TK Maxx cargo gods deign to bestow and don't you forget it!!

That said I am totally piste off. Last week I was in the Tottenham Court Road branch but my g/f was with me and she has the hump at present about my skiing related expenditure (although I just bought her a new set of skis and had bindings specifically fitted for her boots - sometimes you just can't win) so I was very limited in what I could buy (read: couldn't be bothered to be in the dog house for the weekend). There were some Hestra gloves (Helipro's I think) going dirt cheap but according to my better half: 'I have gloves' and therfore 'do not need any more' (it's like she's never actually met me). When I went today at lunchtime some total barsteward (or a number thereof) had had the lot!! Dare2be?? I should 2be so lucky ...... If I find out it was davkt ........

TBH, I think I am going to see about the 'welder's glove' Kinco's that the nice Mr SnowShepherd sells - for some reason they call to me, although I have no idea why .....

I anyone fancies a cold weather back-up glove TK Maxx have some Trespass 'glove inside mittens' style which are (allegedly) breathable in a Gortexy way and have Kevlar all over the palm and thumb. Very snowboardery. They are less than £30 (originally just under £70 apparently). I was tempted but I am holding out for another appearance of the Hestras, fool that I am.
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, Too far north for that branch and have never seen any decent gloves in the Derby branch!
snow report
I bought some very nice Gordini mitts in T K Maxx last week - Goretex, with plenty of down. £20.
snow report
From the voice of experience (lived in Calgary and skied Sunshine and Lake Louise at weekends) don't go cheap. -30C and even colder with the windchill is not uncommon. Might be worthwhile waiting until you get there and buy local though, even with the current crappy exchange rate I found the local kit good value and very fit for purpose.
latest report
Quote:

I bought some very nice Gordini mitts in T K Maxx last week - Goretex, with plenty of down. £20.

Still some of those going if anyone's interested (not being a girly I passed them by)
latest report
davkt, OK - this time I beleive you but if this happens again ......
snow conditions
Posidrive, yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing if I don't get these hestra ones off ebay. I heard Fernie's relatively mild for Canada but I'm sure it'll still have those sort of days.

Thanks everyone. Smile
latest report
I know everyone's experience is different, but for very cold conditions I prefer to layer - a thin but still insulated (I use my sealskinz winter cycling gloves) underneath a large snowboarding mitt. I've always found this keeps me warm (-25 inChatel last year), and enables you to take a layer off and remain comfy when you're a bit warm after a long run. Also cheap - my £15 mitts from TK Maxx do the job brilliantly.

I have tried all sorts of gloves - from pricey Hestras, through my winter, armoured Dainese motorcycle gloves - and the mitt/glove compbination makes my hands the happiest!
snow conditions
yup I'm another supporter of mitts with liner gloves underneath

I'm a wimpy female but I notice all the dads in the ski race club wear mitts here. It makes sucha difference below about -12.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy