Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend with my two children for their first ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

I need some advice please. I'm thinking of taking my son (7) skiing for the first time as Ive been promising him for a couple of years, probably for the weekend, the weekend after Easter (4-7 Apr or 11-14th apr), which is fine and I can manage that.

However, I have a daughter, she'll have just turned (5) who I should really take as well to be honest as she's probably old enough now. btw, the I'll be on my own with them and this is what concerns me Shocked . After the lessons in the morning I would love to go skiing with them both etc. Can it be done on your own? My first thoughts are no because its not really safe and there also the lift issue etc.

Also would somewhere like Flaine be the best bet for that time of year. Short transfer, geneva flights, are the lessons ok in Flaine?

Any advice on single parents taking two kids for the first time would be really welcome. oh, and this may be my third trip of the year so it has to be cheap!

Thanks
Gaz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaz - It depends on where you go. If you can go somewhere that has short gentle nursery slopes (usually free to use) then I don't see there being a problem with you skiing with both for their first time - taking it slow and steady.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous then it might be more difficult for you to be able to keep an eye on both of them.

How about taking them both to an indoor slope for a lesson or two with an instructor, then ski with them both on the indoor slope and see how you get on. There's plenty of time before Easter so you should be able to book somewhere right up to last minute.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaz,

lot's of opportunities, though that's fairly late in the season so the higher the better. You will find that as you get closer to the date offers will come up with various tour Operators, and you could do a lot worse in my opinion that keeping an eye on these guys.

http://www.espritski.com/offers/

We have used them for the past 2 year (2 adults, 2 children) and because we book well in advance we don't get the discounted offers that come if you book closer to the dates you want.

Leaving the booking late will aford you :-

A good chance of a significant discount
A better idea of where the snow is towards the end of the season.

But may leave you with very little choice as to where you can actually go.

I can personally recommend the hotel Crystal 2000 in courchevel, the location is very difficult to beat and you can quite literally ski in and out of the place. There are also a couple of very easy runs outside the door for you to spend time with the kids in the afternoon. The accomodation is a little tired but perfectly adequate, the service and food has always been of a good standard. There is a pool in the hotel if you want some non-ski time.

I would suggest that you get some lessons for the children in the UK at an indoor slope is possible, it will make those first couple of days so much easier and also give you more chance of skiing with them from day one.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaz_H, to be honest, I don't think it would be possible (or not enjoyably, at any rate) and you'd be better off just going on a 1:1 with your son. In a weekend, with just a couple of lessons, they won't be able to do much, and will need a fair bit of help just getting in and out of all the gear, and moving around.

However, an instructor could cope with the two of them for a private lesson (though the 5 year old might hamper the 7 year old a bit) and you could do stuff like toboganning, building snowmen, after their lesson. They'd probably enjoy that just as much. You will find that getting two kids into all the gear and to the ski school meeting place, with their skis, will be quite enough to start with!

(Well, I did, but I was a grandmother rather than a fit young father wink ).

However, I think you'll struggle with those dates - I've been booking a big family trip for Easter 2013 and the flight prices are already horrendous.

Doing a special thing 1:1 with a child is very special - maybe you could do a separate treat for the daughter?

If your budget is tight, lessons in a snowdome would probably be beyond reach, in addition to the weekend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can also give a massive thumbs uP to Crystal 2000 with Esprit, but that would be for a week not weekend. If you can manage a whole week then the Esprit setup will make your life so much easier and they will take them to and from lessons they will be with other children their own age then you will have a day at the end of the week to do a bit of skIing all together after they have had 5 days of lessons. At the award ceremony the instructor gave guidance as to where you can take your children based on how far they progressed.

We are going with Esprit again in April but to St Anton in Pepi Gabl.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

At the award ceremony the instructor gave guidance as to where you can take your children based on how far they progressed.

that sounds a very valuable service. You see so many parents with kids on slopes far too difficult for them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm a single parent who has taken 3 kids away skiing several times (only 2 now as the eldest has, in her words, retired from winter things) Started out with them 6, 10 and 14. If they learn the basics at a snowdome/dry slope first and you don't mind sticking to greens and blues I think it would work. My youngest had her 6th birthday during her first ski holiday and was happily skiing all day (and getting most annoyed that the promised night skiing didn't seem to be happening, it was in Romania!) having learnt at Tamworth. You might like to think up the answer for when they ask why you have only gone for a weekend thought!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

At the award ceremony the instructor gave guidance as to where you can take your children based on how far they progressed.

that sounds a very valuable service. You see so many parents with kids on slopes far too difficult for them.

Yes we really appreciated it was Ellie was only 4 at the time and we were worried about where to take her to not put her off after having such fun in the lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gaz_H, I've used these guys who could look after one or both of the kids in their creche, and they also sent along UK staff whilst our youngest were in ski school

http://www.familyfriendlyskiing.com/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Yes we really appreciated it was Ellie was only 4 at the time and we were worried about where to take her to not put her off after having such fun in the lessons.

The same with us on both our last trips, they were very clear to parents. Take your children on these runs but not these runs because it will scare them and put them back in their learning. Or, you can take them on these runs but if they go back to snow plough then go down to these types of runs.

Absolutely valuable for those parents unsure where to take the the children and also to reinforce to the children their levels.

If I recall when you get nearer the end of the season Esprit did had some weekend deals going, but not sure exactly how they worked transfer wise.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gaz_H, Suggest that you go somewhere with a good "leisure pool" or other attraction and don't expect to ski a lot yourself. I took my children to Ellmau for their first trip. It worked well but I didn't get too much skiing myself as I felt I needed to be on hand for the youngest. She didn't ski everyday and we had a break mid week at the "leisure pool".
Ellmau worked well for us. The holiday was an overall success but not too much skiing for dad.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gaz_H, Ahhh - just noticed dates. Ellmau is not a high resort
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i think the the commens about not skiing all day for 5 year olds really depends on the child, we struggled to keep our 4 year old off the slopes even after a full mornings lessons but to be fair we did take the afternoons gently compared to adult piste bashing. This doesnt make it a bad thing as we really enjoyed spendingthe afternoon pootling about and seeing them come on so quickly.

Only the OP knows what their child is capable of and if it is for just a weekend (missed that bit) then they would probably cope in my opinion, but again I dont know the children.

A couple of lessons in the uk to get them used to the basics will really add value.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+ for a few lessons in a snow dome.

Our two started off at 18months (either in the creche in the morning or with grandparents) but to be honest didn't manage much until they were 5+. I reckon your two are just right for starting out.

Mrs DJL loves Chatel and the mountains but isn't a very keen skier so I got most of the after lessons duties. It can be fine skiing with two (but you will end up doing a bit of walking back up hill to sort out tumbles) and if one is keener than the other it is tricky.

A few dos and don'ts (suggestions - you will have to see what works with your two as all kids are different):

-Hot chocolate stops cure many ills

-Don't even dream about skiing something harder than the runs they did with instructors, even be wary about something easier or different. It is amazing how they will say "this is easy we did it this morning" about a tricky bit of a blue but refuse point blank to try an easier alternative because they haven't done it before.

-You won't manage a third of the distance you think you could

-They get tired. If one is tired they will need all your attention which makes looking after the other tricky. If they are self confident you can instal them with a hot chocolate whilst you do an extra faster run with the other less tired one but don't leave it more than a few minutes before you are back.

- Kids love trees and jumps. Your skis are longer so won't fit between the trees and you'll fall over. They love that even more.

- Take the afternoon off and go sledging or snowball fight

- It's really rewarding skiing with your kids - they progress so fast and end up with a life long passion

- Take spare gloves

- Despair when your nephew keeps up with you all day and then burns you off on the last run

Enjoy!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I say go for it.......your kids will love it and you will get such pleasure from watching them ski. Its really no issue getting them ready. They are 5 and 7 afterall and can largely dress themselves anyway. I found with my two (just turned 5 and 10 respectively) their first trip we just got well organized. Their ski gear was all laid out in layers the night before so they knew what to do to save time and aggro. Yes its a bit of a phaff getting skis and helmets ready but kids are so more capable than many adults give credit for. Give them a good brief and drill and half the anxiety is rid of straight away.

They will love ski school and love even more showing off what they have learned to you in the afternoon. As long as you approach it with the attitude that its all about them and you are not gonna get millions of miles in and do apres it will be one of the best experiences ever. I love my lads weeks in Austria or Italy but I cannot imagine skiing again without my kids...its simply a buzz and very rewarding. Find a good ski in ski out resort so they dont have to walk an inch first time around and just have a blast. If planned correctly you won't regret it!

ps. I remember thinking when my girls took their first steps how great it was but then thinking nothing will match it but they never cease to amaze you and do a bunch of other firsts. Skiing is one of them and they will make you so proud!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Gaz_H, I meant to add that taking both on a chairlift with just you is no biggy either. Your 7 yr old will be absolutely fine to dismount without assistance after the first time and littl'un will be fine with a guiding hand too. I am always ultra careful though with mine and make sure I use my poles to block them both at all times until or after the safety bars are down or lifted. Think nothing of others feelings on larger lifts by using the whole chair to yourselves especially avoiding groups of boisterous youths on boards who can and will get in the way. Most lifties are pretty switched on when they see a single parent with kids and will lend a hand in my experience.

Actually there is something very therapeutic about a long lift in great weather with stunning views and chatting with your kids without the distraction of the general trudge of life. You may hopefully find they talk about a bunch of stuff you never knew.... I know mine do and love snuggling up with dad on a lift. It makes them feel secure. Smile
snow report
Oh and I forget to add, don't forget by the time you've taken them 3 or 4 times the main problem will be you keeping up with them!
snow report
Thanks everybody, some really useful common sense bits of advice and encouragements there. DJL - some really good do's and dont's.

So ChillFactor it is then and all i need to do now is find a resort. How's Flaine that time of year, I've heard its really child friendly? I'd prefer Italy though Very Happy

Can't wait to take them and like most of you say - its a proud moment. I've been waiting for it for a couple of years, almost wanting them to grow up too fast so that I can take them

Thanks Gaz_H
snow report
Gaz_H, Good call! My lot were so pleased the first time out that they were on the proper mountain rather than side stepping up the bunny slope!
snow conditions
My two boys first put skis on when they were 6 and nearly 4 in.....Aviemore, Easter '94. Risky, I know, but we were lucky in that there was loads of snow at car park level and the weather was OK. Did about 4 days and it got them into it. In two days you hardly need to use lifts - well it's difficult with two young children (although I took both on a t-bar after a couple of years). We were on a budget and continued to go to Scotland 4 more times at Easter (but the weather is a gamble, more than the snow). Worked for us, well the younger one (now 22) is better than me and the older one got fed up with it (strange because he's the sporty one).
snow conditions
Gaz_H
I skied last year with my two (also just 5 and 7) in the afternoons after their lessons and was amazed how quickly they picked it all up. We were in Canazei and stuck to the easiest of blues and as long as they were in front of me (so I could recover anything dropped or anyone fallen over) it was fine. I was also really impressed with the lift operators who always slowed the lifts down to make sure we all got on safely and then helped them off the other end. I would also recommend them having a couple of lessons before you go - the big advantage of this with my two was it took the unknown out of the experience and also helped that they were familiar with ski boots and bindings etc before they got there.
Enjoy!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy