Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
For the first time in my working life, I was supposed to be working over Christmas. Since joining the job market I've mostly worked at place that shut down entirely between Christmas and New Year. For many years, this was great as I got to see family and spend time relaxing, but over the past couple of years have tended to go skiing in order to avoid family - but let's not go into that here, eh?

This year, then, I intended to work, so I could take my holidays later next year - maybe grab a cheap week skiing when the prices aren't quite so inflated by the school holidays. I'd requested Christmas Eve off work then we could go away for a couple of days in the caravan and still get a break, then back to work after boxing day.

Yesterday the FD announced that the office will be closed on New Years Eve and we will be REQUIRED to use one day's holiday. Now I haven't got a problem with that, I've enough holiday time left to cover it, but this give me a dilemma. I can now use 2 more days from my allowance to get an 11 day break. This is not to be sniffed at. What's giving me problems is deciding what to do!

To be frank I'm not sure we can afford a second ski trip this year (the "main" trip is booked and paid for, thankfully), especially at Christmas prices. I've had a quick gander and have spotted a couple of things around the £400 mark, but the vast majority of Christmas trips start around the £600 mark which is too much, sadly (note we're looking at catered chalet trips as there are only two of us). We could wait till the very last minute, but then we run the risk of all the very cheap deals having sold, and being left with a very limited choice of destinations. As we live very close to Manchester Airport, the idea of travelling to Gatwick for a holiday isn't really an option either, and quite often we've found that although cheap trips in general were available, the problem is getting flights from Oop North

The other option is to take the caravan up to Scotland - the club site at Onich will be open and is handily halfway between Glencoe and Nevis Range. We could take bikes as well, in case the skiing is not tempting us due to weather and / or snow conditions.

So, what would you do? Reasonable and constructive suggestions welcomed!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IME, last minute deals are rarely that disappointing as they ARE last minute and cheap. When I have done a last minute trip, I've found myself enjoying a holiday which, had I booked it months in advance, I'd probably have been disappointed with.

Just see what turns up and do that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Creditcard.

Go to Switzerland for 10 days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nbt, I assume that as you will be taking the caravan, Scotland can be done whatever turns up elsewhere? I would hold out as long as your nerves and your wallet can stand for the trip elsewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, ifirc correctly Dadmin did a superb (as in cheap) Xmas offer last year??....
Might be worth sending him a pm ot txt to see if he has anything yet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold,

I'm going to Switzerland, and Christmas week isn't that expensive (DIY).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rocket Ski have some HB F & T offers on at the moment for Christmas week for £409 pp - Montgenevre for example. Remember, it is all about the skiing....been with them to Serre Chevalier and AdH in the past and they were actually pretty good to be fair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nbt, if you go away for Christmas, just think what you will save on food, electricity, decorations and silly presents! Do as Hells Bells suggests, wait till the VERY last minute for a cheap deal and if nothing sensible presents itself, go to Scotland in the caravan. Might well not be any skiable snow at Christmas, but you can go walking, and still better than sitting at home with the telly.

Don't be so picky about airports, though. It's quicker to drive to Gatwick than to Aviemore!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Don't be so picky about airports, though. It's quicker to drive to Gatwick than to Aviemore!

True, especially when towing a caravan, but getting to Gatwick for a 4am checkin means an overnight drive.

Might just have a gander at the rocketski website...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing wrote:
nbt, ifirc correctly Dadmin did a superb (as in cheap) Xmas offer last year??....
Might be worth sending him a pm ot txt to see if he has anything yet.
That was indeed a real bonus! - but I only got 2-3 weeks notice on it myself.
Basically, someone know had a totally empty hotel dropped on him by head office with 3 weeks notice.
24 of us were the beneficiaries of that particular little misfortune Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well, I'm not about to book anything unless it's a stunning bargain, so I shall keep my eyes on the Chaudron and the snowEvents forum, just in case. As suggested above, the caravan is always an option in the event that an *affordable* trip doesn't happen along. Fingers crossed that dadmin's magic fingers can bag us a bargain Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about taking the caravan to Europe to ski? If there are no last minute cheap package trips and no good skiing in Scotland it could offer you another alternative. I would guess it may work out too expensive but perhaps worth looking at? Depending what crossing you took you could consider skiing in the Vosges if the snow there was good?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CaravanSkier, our 'van isn't properly winterised so I wouldn't like to try it in *really* cold places, although as documented we've already done a two week ski trip round scotland in it. Plus, by the time you factor in petrol, ferries and driving, a package holiday offers better VFM if you're going to the continent
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There will no doubt be some Xmas week deals to be had if you've bags packed and hold your nerve. Otherwise your answer seems to be drive - stay in a downvalley hotel (like an Ibis) and take your pick of resorts. though this probably gets close to your hypithetical £800 budget with fuel and fares etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ exactly. There's a big site just outside Corvara and there's always loads of vans there when I've been at the dolimtes. (One of the main Sella Ronda lifts actually passes over it)

Just done a search for the web site

http://www.campingcolfosco.org/index.php?page_id=1050&lang_id=3

€16 a day for a caravan it seems
snow report
i think Rocket ski use Ros Mages in Montgenevre
its a cheap and chearful hotel/bar/cafe
and has good beer and cheesy chips
plus sky sports
snow report
Quote:

getting to Gatwick for a 4am checkin means an overnight drive.

4 am checkin at Gatwick means no sleep - wherever you live. I live on the south coast and it would not be worth going to bed to get up at 2 am and drive to Gatwick.
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
Quote:

True, especially when towing a caravan, but getting to Gatwick for a 4am checkin means an overnight drive.

Might just have a gander at the rocketski website...

We've used Rocketski for 2 Christmas holidays - cheap and cheerful but we've enjoyed them both and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Even though we're only an hour or so from Gatwick an early check-in means we hotel the night before & if you shop around that means not many more pounds than just parking. We've got parking & hotel at Gatwick over Christmas for £69.

I do have two flights booked (with luggage) for Grenoble 23rd Dec out & 30th Dec back that you can have if you're prepared to pay EJ's charges.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy