Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help with next years holiday for nice cruisy resorts

Poster: A snowHead
After not being able to get on a skiing holiday last year, i am determined to get our skiing holiday for 2013. However, every year I humm and ahhh at where to go and always end up with the same places in my shortlist so this is where I would love your help. We are a family of 4 with 2 children aged 14 and 12, we just would like to saunter round the ski areas as a family, we might have the odd private lesson as a family but I am not interested in splitting the family up. We will be taking the children out of school (mainly becuase if they were going skiing with the school, they also take them during term time). We will probalby be looking at going at one of the quieter weeks at the end of January.

So here is my wish list:
nice long cruisy slopes. (preferrably tree lined, but not essential)
large ski area
not really looking at anything difficult or taxing
self catering or all inclusive hotel
Not bothered at all about apres ski, wont be going into any bars for apres drinks.

Places we have been so far:
Neiderau - didnt really like it, it was too small and runs werent very cruisy
Valmorel - loved it, massive ski area with lots of cruisy blues and greens, however was very expensive, but would definitley consider going back in years to come.
Les Saisies - loved it, again, a massive ski area with lots of cruisy blues, it was expensive in some places to eat out on the slopes at some cafes as most ski areas, but there were cheaper options if you looked hard enough, i guess we were just too lazy. the first day was really reasonable as we stopped at the sort of take away hot dog , chips burger stand but then we found this lovely pizzeria......say no more. Lift passes were reasonable though

We live in North East so would prefer somewhere local to us but could fly from edinburgh, leeds, liverpool, manchester etc. We were even thinking about exploring a club med hotel where everything is included.
some shortlisted places I have been looking at are:

Serre Chevalier
Sauze D'Oulx
Sestriere
Alp Dhuez
Arraba
Selva Val Gardena
Schladming
Saalbach
Ellmau

The latest place we have been looking at is selva. is this something you could ski in a day? I have been looking at the piste map and i am bit confused about the clockwise anti clockwise as there is not always a blue option, how steep are the reds? what happens if you only make it half way round before the lifts go off?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 31-10-12 23:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would add Courchevel to your list and have increased the costs to replace; As a friend says of Alp d'Heuz "the only good thing to do is leave" although recommended by the ESF for easiness of its eurotest.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
polo99, I think Ellmau might suit you - it's the best entry point into the Ski Welt for a group of your level and that huge area is almost entirely made up of cruisy blues.

The weekends get busy, but it will be quiet Mon-Fri at the end of Jan.

Not sure if there's an all inclsuive hotel but lots of UK TO's go there so it should be easy to find that out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Arraba
Selva Val Gardena

I'd add San Cassiano too, for the cruisy blues. A few ski runs from the main Sella Ronda loop. Or Corvara to be on the Sella Ronda loop, with direct access to the San Cassiano cruisy blue sector. Although Selva to access that sector is 1 looooong blue there, and some easy reds back (and quite a few lifts).

Can do the Sella Ronda in a few hours, in either direction. I'd guess 10am-2pm non stop, for a reasonably comfortable red run skier (or maybe a bit longer if you're getting you bearings, or there's some less confident skiers).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27, I have been to Soll twice about 20 years ago, so my memories of it is pretty fuzzy but from what i can remember it was really good. the only negative is that in those days you had to walk quite a way to the bottom gondola.

andy, I really am fancying this area, the only thing i am worried about is not being able to (meaning ability wise) ski the whole of the clockwise/anticlockwise runs of the sella ronda. We will be fourth week skiers and are confident on blue and easy reds but we dont like anything steep (well saying that when i say we, I mean "i" lol as my husband and 2 boys tend to just stick their poles under their armpits and see how fast they can speed to the bottom of it!. Im much more of a cruiser
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
polo99, That is true of Soll - and can be a factor in Scheffau. If you look at Ellmau try to get somewhere near the funicular station to minimise walking.

Wouldn't put you off the Sella Ronda area though - I think you'll be fine in terms of piste difficulty / easyness there too
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo99, Sella Ronda would be fine for you. Pistes are well maintained and generally quite easy for the grade. We took a first week around the circuit, though he had done dry slope lessons in advance. probably the best "cruising" area I know of.
Otherwise somewhere in the Ski Amade (Flachau, Wagrain etc) could be good - miles of well prepared pistes, but you do need to use short bus links to make the most of it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cynic wrote:
I would add Courchevel to your list and have increased the costs to replace; As a friend says of Alp d'Heuz "the only good thing to do is leave" although recommended by the ESF for easiness of its eurotest.

I'd go for 1650 and it is dirt cheap too - one of the cheapest places to eat and drink that we've been to in France. Loads of cruising greens and blues close to town, and access to the whole three valleys if you feel a bit more adventurous.

We've stayed in the chalets run by Olympic there, Mors and Monique, and would go back this season quite happily.

I wasn't massively impressed by ADH either.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Im really being pulled towards the Sella Ronda area, i like the fact that it sounds great in terms of cruising and i think i read somewhere that it wasnt the most expensive place for eating drinking etc. Where would be the best areas to stay that were nice and close to the lifts and also which airport is best to fly into?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99, the Sella Ronda region is mostly fantastic, scenic, and reasonably priced cruising.
Assuming not a TO holiday, then: Venice for Arabba, Innsbruck for Selva, Corvara, San Cassiano, or Alta Badia. There's definitely a bus from Venice to Arabba, and another bus from Innsbruck to Selva, both being very reasonable prices. Anywhere else may be easier as a package deal with transfers included.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Monium wrote:
Cynic wrote:

I'd go for 1650 and it is dirt cheap too - one of the cheapest places to eat and drink that we've been to in France. Loads of cruising greens and blues close to town, and access to the whole three valleys if you feel a bit more adventurous.

We've stayed in the chalets run by Olympic there, Mors and Monique, and would go back this season quite happily.

I wasn't massively impressed by ADH either.

+1 for Courchevel, and Ski Olympic @ 1650.
We stayed with them in Jan at their chalet hotel (above rockys bar), was excellent, and the resort amazing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Without checking the airport criteria:

Folgarida/Marilleva with the full Madonna di Campiglio lift pass meets the other criteria

Serre Chevalier, from your list, also works extremely well (the Club Med place in Villeneuve is supposed to be well regarded from other comments here).

Belle Plagne - plenty of cruisey blues, though not much tree-lined until you ski to other parts - plenty of options

Cirvinia - again, plenty of good long cruisey options, maybe not quite so much tree-line.

Sella Ronda....will be better able to judge after Christmas Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd agree Courchevel 1650 would be good, as would Ski Olympic. But 1650, whilst cheaper than 1850, is hardly "dirt cheap". It would certainly be markedly more expensive than Les Saisies. When we discovered LS we'd just had a week's holiday in 1650 (where the snow was the best of anywhere in the 3V, in a sunny January week when the snow was poor all over). We were pleasantly surprised to find better snow and considerably cheaper prices in Les Saisies (a simple coffee, for example, was about half the price, though as in any resort, there are cheaper and more expensive places).

What did you find was particularly expensive in Les Saisies?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for La Plagne

There are direct flights Edinburgh - Geneva and then it's an easily do-able transfer from there. 425km of piste and plenty of cruisy-blues, without being break-the-bank like Courcheval.

Happy planning!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tree lined and cruisey sounds like Montgenevre to me
ski holidays
polo99, you need to look at all relevant costs - things like lift passes will probably cost more in big areas such as Courchevel, La Plagne or Ski Amadé than they will in Les Saisies, though it's quite hard to compare the various "family pass" and other offers which are available.
snow conditions
polo99, wherever you choose, i'd crack on a book your holiday. The number of people i've seen looking for a New Year ski holiday in Bad Gastein seams to be higher than ever this year.

Kersh
ski holidays
Another +1 for Courchevel
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
+1 for La Plagne

There are direct flights Edinburgh - Geneva and then it's an easily do-able transfer from there. 425km of piste and plenty of cruisy-blues, without being break-the-bank like Courcheval.

Happy planning!

Have you been to 1650? One of the cheapest ski trips i've been on. Including la plagne.
ski holidays
andy, I am not opposed to tour operator holidays as we have done both diy and TO and if the price was right then i would go either or.

pam w, yes Pam that is an excellent point about the lift pass prices. I have looked at the lift pass prices for Dolmiti superski pass and if I am looking at it right, they have 2 different seasons, low and high, and from what I can see, when we would be going would be Low season.

I have not looked at Courchevel 1650 yet but I will do, Im almost frightened to look as my list of potential places seems to be getting bigger not smaller lol.

So when you guys are saying cheaper, are you talking about eating out on the slopes or are you talking about costs of main things like accomodation, flights transfers etc?

I have to admit that although I hate paying 5 euros for a can of coke on the slopes, the thought of carrying ham sarnies and drinks in a back pack to save money just does not appeal to me.
ski holidays
If you want an all inclusive hotel, I stayed at Crystal's Petit Palais last season. It's pretty much opposite the Plan Maison gondola station but a 10 min walk into the town. The runs there are all pretty easy, not much difference between the blues and reds and you can definitely cruise about, you can cross the border into Zermatt if you're feeling adventurous. Not much is tree-lined though, you need to go down to the lower slopes of Valtournenche or Zermatt for trees as much of Cervinia is above the tree line. Stunning views of the Matterhorn too.
snow conditions
+1 for Cervinia. Has to be one of the best for confidence building cruisers. If you do go do avoid the Hotel Brueil. Easily the worst food I've ever tried to eat - so bad I ended up leaving a couple of meals and I'm very much an 'I've paid for it, I'm damn well going to eat it" type.
ski holidays
rogg, I've heard that about the Breuil too. I had no complaints about the Petit Palais, nice food (although I didn't bother with the pack-up, dinner on the mountain is one of the many joys of a ski holiday), friendly staff, decent rooms, heated equipment room (conveniently on the ground floor so no trudging up and down steps in ski boots).
snow report
Quote:

although I hate paying 5 euros for a can of coke on the slopes, the thought of carrying ham sarnies and drinks in a back pack to save money just does not appeal to me.

With kids, the key solution is to have accommodation right by the slopes and fix your own lunches. It saves a fortune.

In Les Saisies you can get chicken wings and chips and a small beer, or a coke, for around 7-8 euros. But if you go for lunch at the Benetton, yes, you'll pay a lot more (and eat a lot better). But still around 13/14 euro for the dish of the day, which is always good.

But even "cheap" lunches are too much when there are kids to feed and you're on a budget. When we did family trips we practically never ate on the mountain. Typically, in a catered chalet, we would stuff ourselves full to the brim at chalet breakfast then a Mars Bar in the pocket, eaten on a lift, would see us through to chalet tea when the lifts shut.

When the kids were teenagers we gave them a rather modest amount of "spending money" and they could choose whether to buy themselves a plate of chips on the mountain or a beer later. I remember being quite shocked, one year, at the quantity of supermarket booze ("Old Lady Gin" etc) they could get for a very small amount of money. They did choose plates of chips sometimes, but they decided bars were too expensive to drink in, and normally the Mars Bars (which I provided) kept them going over lunch. A good way of teaching them about the concept of opportunity cost. If Mum and Dad simply paid, they'd definitely have wanted chips and coke.

Sure, lunch on the mountain is a lovely treat. Something I would do maybe 3 or 4 times in a couple of months. But on a budget, with kids, it was always just too much. We wouldn't have been able to afford the kind of ski holidays where lunch on the mountain was seen as an "essential". My sister and brother in law, who often came on holidays with us, had friends with a place in Kitzbuhel - they were a part Austrian family and one sister was a ski instructor there, too. But the friends were well off and lunch on the mountain regarded as inevitable. My sister said that though their accommodation was free the whole style of the holiday was so upmarket that it cost them more than their usual holiday. It's a case of deciding on priorities.
snow conditions
polo99, another vote for Serre Chevalier, and Monarch are doing flights to Grenoble form Leeds/Bradford this winter (I'm still trying to work out if I can manage a sneaky short beak myself).
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
rogg, I've heard that about the Breuil too. I had no complaints about the Petit Palais, nice food (although I didn't bother with the pack-up, dinner on the mountain is one of the many joys of a ski holiday), friendly staff, decent rooms, heated equipment room (conveniently on the ground floor so no trudging up and down steps in ski boots).

I think my brother may have stayed in the Petit Palais, so I say "I've heard the P.P. was quite nice" too. Little Angel
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
(I'm still trying to work out if I can manage a sneaky short beak myself).

Cheep one?
snow report
andy, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy