Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in February, best ski in/ski out resorts in Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
We are fairly proficient skiiers who like extensive pistes but also a nice town/village for the evenings. We are not too bothered about nightlife in bars etc. but would like something to look round.

We are thinking of Austria or Italy, but any resorts in Europe would be fine.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Proficient skiers
Want extensive slopes
Ski in-out
Nightlife not important

This is home run for mega French resorts such as Tignes, les Arcs, or 3 valleys
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valneedham, Schladming (if you do not need to be away during the World Championships which take place there in Feb) Staying up in Rohrmoos you have ski in ski out. Other areas are good as well in the same system.

Wagrain - some ski in ski out - super village atmosphere and masses of skiing and good variety of apres activity Club Med have a nice hotel at the bottom of the Graffenberg lifts.

Zauchensee - literally ski in ski out in some cases. Posh hotels and a good selection of bars/restaurants, not many shops though

Saalbach-Hinterglemm - loads of ski in/ski out. Hinterglemm and Leogang are my favourites, but others rave about Saalbach itself.

Bad Gastein - not so much ski/ski out but a good skiing area with a fascinating Belle Epoque town to wander around

Obergurgl - good ski in ski out but not such a vibrant village as some of the others

Alpbach - beautiful village and now linked into the Wildschonau system given an interesting selection of slopes

Any of the villages/towns in the zillertal would meet all the requirements except possibily ski in ski out, but there is accommodation on the mountains. Just epends how important it actually is in the over all plan!

The list could go on but I'm in work and need to actually earn a crust to afford my habit! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oberlech. 5 star ski in ski out
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valneedham, If you're going in UK & France school half term I'd give the big French resorts a miss

I've not been but many snowHead s speak highly of Arabba and I think some hotels there are ski in/out.

Oberlech is certainly also very nice,

Alternatively I'm off here in March which would fit the bill (!) I think?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Austria, Italy and Switzerland mostly suck for skiin-skiout.

Go to France.

Courchevel 1850, Val Thorens and Les Arcs 1800 are among the very best for convenience.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valneedham, lots of suggestions here. You need to decide how important the ski in/out is, as . But perhapsSamerberg Sue says, as lots of otherwise great resorts in Italy and Austria don't have much accommodation of that kind. However, if you decide on France, a more important criterion is when to go. To avoid the very busy French school holiday period you need to go in the first two weeks of Feb.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avoriaz is mega-ski-in-ski-out but not so pretty
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Three Valleys, Espace Killy and Paradiski will all fit the bill.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are loads of ski in/out places but the requirement for a "nice town or village" for the evenings is not always easy to combine. From a point of view of "walking round in the evening" Innsbruck, Kitzbuhel, Megeve, St Gervais, Briancon, Cortina, would all be good - but little or no "ski in/out". Some of the suggestions above (e.g. 3V, Paradiski) are not exactly places for walking around in the evening as opposed to a quick dash out to sit in a bar and drink! Cortina is world-beating for a passegiata around 5 - 7 pm (take your mink coat) but not so convenient for the skiing!

Where have you been before - and what did you think of it? That might give us more to go on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

This is home run for mega French resorts such as Tignes

Did you miss the bit below Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Quote:

but also a nice town/village for the evenings
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13, there's none so blind as those who will not see! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been to quite a lot of resorts, in order of preference from most to least favourite, Les 2 Alpes, Madonna di Campiglio, Morzine, Serre Chevalier, Cortina d'Ampezzo, Montgenevre

Most of these weren't ski in ski out, but the towns were just what we were looking for.

Thanks for all of the replies so far, they've given me a lot to go on to start research
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
valneedham, you won't be going in the second half of February? French school hols.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We'll be going in the English schools half term, I don't know whether that corresponds to the French holidays or not
latest report
valneedham, if you are going in week of 9th feb., you'll be ok in France. Week starting 16th feb or thereabouts is start of French half term hols. And I'd think that French resorts would be rammed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy