Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inside Out "Holiday Tuneup" vs lessons in resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to decide between the "Holiday Tuneup" with Inside Out at Hemel, or getting some lessons while on holiday (going to Tignes in January).

It'll be my fourth week of skiing, I ski one week a year, and I'd rate myself as an "early intermediate". I've had group lessons on each of my previous three weeks, visited the MK snowdome a few times but never had any kind of lesson there.

Any opinions? Plusses & minuses of each approach? Factors I might not have thought of?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hell, do both.........life's for living dude
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do BOTH!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends what your goals are and how much you want to spend to achieve them. If you want to get better as quickly as possible and money no obstacle, do both. Coaching always helps.

I can highly recommend Ultimate Snowsports in Tignes for lessons. All British, so no language barrier. They do a variety of clinics of different types. TDC also have a lot of fans.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes do both but if you want to get significantly better try and do some regular quality training through the year, whether that be in a dome or at a dry slope
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sledger wrote:
if you want to get significantly better try and do some regular quality training through the year, whether that be in a dome or at a dry slope

^^^ what he says. One week a year is hopeless for real progression. Check out my recent blog on this very subject:

http://www.gravityprotection.co.uk/blog/all-mountain-ski-tecnique-dry-slope.html
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bah Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
finestgreen, another vote for both. And I can highly recommend Inside Out. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A vote for both from me as well Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Both...

Remember when going for instruction you are likely to pay the same for a fairly new instructor as for a full cert or examiner with 20 seasons teaching experience. I always figured to make this equation work in my favour and so I employed examiners or full certs with multiple quals(eg disabled cert and race coach as I'm a disabled skier, or race coach and instructor trainer/examiner cert.) The certs themselves won't guarantee you a great lesson but the combo of good quals and seasons of experienced sure shortened the odds in my favour over taking any level 1-2 cert(APSI at the time was 3 levels now 4) from the pack... Plus eventually I got to the point I skied and understood skiing as well as a number of the 2's and most of the 1's...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
finestgreen, if you have to choose one, choose lessons in resort.

Lessons in the AM and then practice / horse around in the PM
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Both will be useful, no doubt. But personally, I don't bother with snowdomes or dry slopes in the UK. I've got too many other leisure activities, including sporting activities (including coaching), to bother with a pale imitation of the real thing.

I may well go to Ski Dubai again in three weeks though; that's better than propping up a bar. Coaching won't be on the agenda though. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little tiger wrote:
Both...

Remember when going for instruction you are likely to pay the same for a fairly new instructor as for a full cert or examiner with 20 seasons teaching experience.

I'm not sure this really applies in France. As long as you don't go with a French school, all of the instructors will have to be ISTD with Eurotest in order to work there. I'm sure it's a valid point in the States though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman,
Quote:

a pale imitation of the real thing.

The coaching is the real thing, not a pale imitation. I almost never go to a snowdome just to ski recreationally, it's extremely boring, but the tuition I've had there has been invaluable.
ski holidays
A good question, I am a bit biased but in the both camp... So much so that we are starting an Alpine Partner programme with select ski schools in the Alps this coming season. We will find out where our Hemel clients are going on holiday and recommend a school in the particular resort, send video of the client and let them know what we have been working on. We cant be everywhere and view it as a win win for both ski schools and most importantly to our clients.

Our Partner School in Meribel sums it up real well here http://www.skimarmalade.com/blog/inside-out-skiing/

Domes are great training centres and you can get a huge amount out of sessions whether it is finding your ski legs on a holiday tune up or working on situational skills such as steep skiing...
snow conditions
Quote:

Depends what your goals are and how much you want to spend to achieve them. If you want to get better as quickly as possible and money no obstacle, do both. Coaching always helps.

Sadly, money is an obstacle! My immediate goal at this stage I guess is to get to the point where I can get safely and confidently around the mountain, between the poles without worrying too much about what colour they are.

Reasons I'm leaning towards the Hemel session: I'm curious whether the more controlled conditions might make it easier to focus on technique, it frees up the whole week away for getting out and about and enjoying it, and it's easier for me and my wife to be in the same group without challenging one of us too much or too little.

Reasons I'm not fully convinced: Maybe being progressively challenged with more difficult slopes might help more in practical terms.

I was considering also getting my boot alignment checked. Obviously difficult to know how much difference that will make without knowing how wrong my alignment currently is, but any views on which is likely to be a better bet - spending money on that or the second lesson(s)?
ski holidays
finestgreen, Personally, working on skills development on slopes harder and steeper than found in domes tends not too work well and is counter productive. Best to work on skills on easier terrain and then take them into more difficult terrain, Trust me we can always find ways to challenge you, dont worry about that Wink !
snow report
Quote:

working on skills development on slopes harder and steeper than found in domes tends not too work well and is counter productive

Ah, yeah, not quite what I meant! Very Happy I meant that the advantage of having some lessons in resort is having somebody who can say "this specific slope is achievable for your ability; that one might kill you"
ski holidays
Another vote to incl a session with InsideOut if you can. Getting lessons in resort can be great, but there is a risk of advice had from one starting to feel different to that had from another, which is along with the quality of the teaching why the Insideout model is so good - seems like their partnership approach cld be ideal for you if they have buddies in Tignes to maintain the momentum from the dome....
snow report
Quote:

Special Snowheads offer 50% OFF YOUR FIRST GROUP CLINIC at Hemel

Wow, this might make my decision easier! Would that apply to the "holiday tuneup" session? How does it work, is there a special offer code somewhere?
snow report
with a couple weeks under your belt Hemel or MK hopefully wont kill you but I know what you mean in resort. Might be an idea to get some "hosting" or guiding in resort to show you around. There are a lot of great instructors based in Tignes, snoworks with our own stewart woodward, steve angus who works for TDC and Rorie Scott are all good guys.
snow conditions
finestgreen,
Quote:

Trust me we can always find ways to challenge you, dont worry about that
I can vouch for that. Skullie
ski holidays
finestgreen, I've been very pleasantly surprised how much coaching and improvement can be made indoors. This is after 20+ years of skiing mainly outdoors without many lessons!!
ski holidays
finestgreen, it would do, we have just in the last few days set up the Half Price clinic offer, click on my signature link and it should be self explanatory...

Not a bad deal eh ? a full days skiing, equipment, coaching and video feedback for £50....
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
finestgreen, it would do, we have just in the last few days set up the Half Price clinic offer, click on my signature link and it should be self explanatory...

Not a bad deal eh ? a full days skiing, equipment, coaching and video feedback for £50....

^^^ That's a brilliant deal, bite his hand off. For the same price you'll get a 1 hour private lesson in the Alps.
snow conditions
evski wrote:
little tiger wrote:
Both...

Remember when going for instruction you are likely to pay the same for a fairly new instructor as for a full cert or examiner with 20 seasons teaching experience.

I'm not sure this really applies in France. As long as you don't go with a French school, all of the instructors will have to be ISTD with Eurotest in order to work there. I'm sure it's a valid point in the States though.

They do have stagieres... and again a newly minted instructor will cost you the same as a trainer with 10-20 seasons experience... and there is usually a marked difference from those seasons of experience
snow report
Quote:

For the same price you'll get a 1 hour private lesson in the Alps.

That Inside Out deal is a terrific one, but prices of private lessons in the Alps vary a good deal. I pay about 62 euros for 2 hours (up to 3 people). Very experienced instructor. International Ski School.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica wrote:
laundryman,
Quote:

The coaching is the real thing, not a pale imitation. I almost never go to a snowdome just to ski recreationally, it's extremely boring, but the tuition I've had there has been invaluable.

I do go to indoor places just to hoof about during the summer, but yes ^ this. Inside Out are a proper bonzer operation. They're responsible for the best coaching I've ever had.*

*with the possible exception of my mates going 'JUST DO IT YOU POOF, DO IT'.
snow conditions
Another vote here for the quality of instruction from Inside Out, either at Hemel or on their coaching holidays Happy their clinics at Hemel are excellent - doubly so if they have a half price offer!
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, Laughing
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
laundryman,
Quote:

That's as may be, but isn't my point. I get the amount of ski coaching I want (almost certainly more than average, even for a snowHead) and get it in the mountains. If I want to improve my sporting skills at other times (and I do), I'll take a tennis lesson.
snow conditions
laundryman, Would you go to a driving range in between golf trips to practice your swing or would you only have a playing lesson with a golf pro on a course?
ski holidays
skimottaret, I can't really answer that, because I don't play golf. But I suppose it would depend on the relative importance of golf to me, versus various calls of duty and other leisure opportunities. I certainly used to practise in the nets at cricket when I played regularly, if that's any help - and still do before the occasional scratch game.
snow report
laundryman, I guess I was trying to make the point that practice and skills development outside of the activity itself is very helpful and can be fun as well if done right. I would also point out that the odd lesson in the mountains tend to go along the lines of a short diagnosis, a bit of gee the last guy said something similar so he must know what he is on about, a drill that within 30 minutes works wonders (because the instructor said I am skiing so much better) followed by a tip to work on for the rest of your holiday... in an hour or two that is about all you can do but over the course of a day or weeks coaching you can accomplish a lot more.

When you take a tennis lesson do you have an hour or so with a pro and then play a couple sets or does it tend to be just a teaching session ?
ski holidays
skimottaret, I have the same set of ski coaches that I've used for 20 years, and between 15 and 45 hours coaching per season, so my experience is not as you've described (though that may well be the norm). I've not said that lessons in a dome cannot be useful or fun or both, and don't mean to imply that. I think your business model is very well thought out and deserves to succeed; but I'm unlikely to be enticed to Hemel for the reasons given - though that might be different if I lived nearer.

I try to play a friendly match within a day or two of a tennis lesson.
snow report
laundryman, good you get regular mountain based coaching from coaches who know your skiing well...I occasionally hear of people doing as you do but that doesn't seem to be the norm so refreshing to hear. When explaining our concept to people I tend to try to relate it to golf lessons at the driving range and was curious if the same held for tennis sessions. Been a while since I have swung a tennis racket might have to give it a go !
snow report
Quote:

coaches who know your skiing well

Too well! wink
ski holidays
I wish there was some version of this at Chill Factor. Their private lessons seem to be ludicrously expensive (£100 for 50 minutes for guests Shocked Shocked Shocked ).
latest report
little tiger wrote:

They do have stagieres...

Only in the French schools- they need to have a minimum of 10 French fully qualified instructors in the school to be allowed to have stagieres. Hence why I said as long as you stay away from the French schools. There's another thread on here somewhere that explains it all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy