Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

packing for a season ... sod the essentials

Poster: A snowHead
Soooo,

I've started my preparation before I head off to the wonderful world of snow - Essential aside (pants, socks, boots etc) ... what would your home comforts and little luxuries be if heading out for a season?

So far I have got coffee and curly wurly's on my list ..... along with my trusted sidekick Mr iPad.

and no I don't like Marmite NehNeh

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Condoms.

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Carlos the Slackal wrote:
Condoms.

wink

lol - I included that as an essential

Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tea bags, assuming you aren't doing a season in Scotland there isn't decent tea to had in the mountains!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Raclette maker, Nespresso, flats screen, laptop and Christmas lights for the chalet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt wrote:
Tea bags, assuming you aren't doing a season in Scotland there isn't decent tea to had in the mountains!

Strangely for a Brit I very rarely drink tea ... my heart lies very much with a good cup of coffee! .. altho, I'm sure someone might appreciate them ... or maybe I can introduce random Austrians to our tea.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reminds me of my first 3 month trip to french guiana. everyone stocking up and shipping all the "essentials" - baked beans, hp sauce, marmite, teabags, curry paste (for some reason - no clue why), .... totally overlooked the fact that they actually have some things called "supermarkets" there Wink (and the chillies etc. are ace, so the curry sauce got binned)

Now the 4000liters of Tetnanger beer we shipped (in a reefer). That was important. 3 months of stella only would have been painful.

Next time, i'd take... a laptop, and give the local food etc. a try.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski_AL, ....VERY GOOD portable speakers for my iPod
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheddar, bacon and English tea bags - you can get pretty much any other foodstuff easily. Laptop + hard drive stocked with films/tv series, multi plug extension thing so you only need one euro adapter for all your UK schizzle. Books/Kindle with lots of e-books. Might seem weird now, but there'll be times you'll want to do other stuff than just ski or drink.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
valais2 wrote:
Ski_AL, ....VERY GOOD portable speakers for my iPod

good shout!

andy, Very true about there being supermarkets, but surely in a small resort choice is going to be limited and anything typically British is going to be expensive.

I'm more than happy to give the local food a try ... tis yummy Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a short summary of what we took - tea bags, cheddar, bacon, pork pies, sausage rolls, thai curry paste, cake tins, icing kit, cookie cutters, hand blender, my shampoo and conditioner from home, as many painkillers, flu remedies, strepsils etc as are legally allowed - extortionate in resort.

Books - or kindle
Laptop
Freesat box + TV is you have access to a sky dish
pens, biros, sharpies + notepads
Pickled onions
Tesco double strength no added sugar lemon squash
4 point plug thing so you can run them all off one UK-Europe adapter (yes i accept this is probably not that great for the old circuits...)
head torch - will always be useful
tea lights
Vegetable peeler - I am very particular
Potato masher - Mr NN is very particular
Wooden spoons and spatulars
10 pairs each of cheapo Primark gloves - wear them out in the evening and it doesnt matter if you lose them. (£1 for 2 pairs)

10 x more clothes than we ever needed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Here is a short summary of what we took - tea bags, cheddar, bacon, pork pies, sausage rolls, thai curry paste, cake tins, icing kit, cookie cutters, hand blender, my shampoo and conditioner from home, as many painkillers, flu remedies, strepsils etc as are legally allowed - extortionate in resort.

Books - or kindle
Laptop
Pickled onions
4 point plug thing so you can run them all off one UK-Europe adapter (yes i accept this is probably not that great for the old circuits...)
tea lights
10 pairs each of cheapo Primark gloves - wear them out in the evening and it doesnt matter if you lose them. (£1 for 2 pairs)

How big was your suitcase? NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are sharing in hostel style accom - a good padlock!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
there'll be times you'll want to do other stuff than just ski or drink.

Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Which resort are you going to?

About the only thing I find myself lifting regularly from the British section in the supermarkets here is Real Ale. Super U in BSM has recently started stocking London Pride and Spitfire.

That and Creme Eggs when they're in season... and the very occasional Irn Bru....
snow report
stevomcd wrote:
Which resort are you going to?

About the only thing I find myself lifting regularly from the British section in the supermarkets here is Real Ale. Super U in BSM has recently started stocking London Pride and Spitfire.

That and Creme Eggs when they're in season... and the very occasional Irn Bru....

Don't know the resort yet .... find out when we get out there .... somewhere in Austria though....

which is good, coz I like strudel haha
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:

Books - or kindle
Laptop
Pickled onions
tea lights

Headtorch, deefinitely

I would add :

Knife, of any kind. Sharp, sturdy blade type of stuff
basic tools
gaffer tape
flip-flops
sleeping bag + bivvy : you never know if you gonna like the job... might come handy to sleep in randon places
plug adaptor/convertor
Some kind of spray to sanitize/deodorize whatever space you are going to share to cover the occasional stinky-feet or plain stinky room mate
latest report
Berocca & Ibuprofen
snow report
Earplugs, chances are you'll be sharing accommodation and unless you're a very deep sleeper these can be invaluable!
snow conditions
A fancy dress outfit
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
A fancy dress outfit

I like this suggestion - definitely an area I had overlooked!
ski holidays
davkt wrote:

Does teabagging require condoms???
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
davkt wrote:

Does teabagging require condoms???

No, just a suppressed gag reflex . . . allegedly Shocked really . . . I've heard half a dozen descriptions and I want to upchuck for each . . . it's obviously passed comprehension over here
snow report
paracord to hang stuff and more...
snow conditions
Take some good old fashioned common sense and patience with you, don't try to do everything by Xmas otherwise you'll be home just after new year!
ski holidays
Why are you taking coffee? Surely Austria can provide coffee?

BBC "get by in German" - if you can't already.

Several small laminated cards with all your key insurance and other details.

Silver framed portrait of your parents (you weren't thinking of going without one of those, were you? Your room mate will love the homely touch of having it on top of the nice big chest of drawers you'll have for all your stuff).
snow report
Oh, forgot - Immodium (or equivalent)
snow conditions
Lea & Perrins no longer available in France Carrefour this summer so may be important to you .. (Bloody Mary any one?)

Eye Mask if sharing a room
Ear plugs as already mentioned x 3 min - foam, not wax type

Scan your passport/driving licence to a "cloud" server should it walk off. try and do same with your season ski pass and E11 or E1hC or whatever it is these days.

Couple of (physical) photos of home/family -
Blu tack to stick them and other vital bits and pieces up (e.g. premiership match dates at your local , etc)
small calendar ( time files when you are having fun..) - it might push you out the door on mid ranking days
Slippers/"House" socks/Crocs ( look at Falke who do some funky thick socks for lounging in )

dont need to take it but when you get there, get a pack of swan vesta type matches to burn off the foul odours that (others) wlll leave lingering in the bogs.

pop up laundry bin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Why are you taking coffee? Surely Austria can provide coffee?

Surprisingly enough, it does! Some pretty good coffee too from what my coffee drinking friends and guests tell me.

Quite a lot of the stuff already mentioned here can be sourced when you're out there and not necessarily much more expensive than back home if you pop out of resort on your day off.

Only things I'm taking that aren't on the usual packing list are crumpets and sugar free squash (although I can get this in Spar in resort). But then I'm not a fan of the likes of HP sauce, Marmite or L&P, ditto cheddar although this is something else available out there if you know where to look.
snow report
Crikey, almost all this stuff (with the exception of photos of parents) is available in almost any supermarket in France and most of Africa. Is Austria really that backward?
snow report
FFS people, where are you all skiing, Somalia? Laughing
snow conditions
Friends of our who live in Portugal in the summer and France in the winter asked us to take paracetamol, because they're just not the same out there, and chilli powder, as apparently they just couldn't get any decent chilli and were having withdrawal symptoms!!
snow conditions
I'm basing this off my experience going to uni rather than a season, but a small personal first aid kit. Painkillers, whatever. Also a tiny sewing kit.
Of you print out photos of your mates before you go you can stick them up to whatever's available with blue tack Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

paracetamol, because they're just not the same out there

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
A UK 4 way plug extension!!
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
there'll be times you'll want to do other stuff than just ski or drink.

Shocked

That's what the condoms are for wink
snow report
To add to the fancy dress theme, there is always a 70's or 80's one piece day each season so get down the charity shops and pick up the worst one you can find Very Happy
snow report
Sitter wrote:
ditto cheddar although this is something else available out there if you know where to look.

I'd be interested to hear where, the only cheddar I've found in Austria has been the really crappy fake-coloured type, nothing like 'proper' cheddar. Closest I've found was something form St Johann (in Hofer, of all places, if anyone wants to know). Plenty of other great cheeses, but nothing beats cheddar.

Similarly 'proper' bacon is the only other thing I can't get hold of out here (can get English tea bags, but only Twinings' ENglish Breakfast, which is even more expensive here than the UK). In fairness, paracetamol/etc is a LOT cheaper in the UK too.
latest report
I'm with Lizzard. Since OP seems to not like marmite or tea, and HP sauce is expensive, but ruins Austro-Germanic meat dishes, the only things above I'd take are the plug adapters (if you're really taking much/any UK spec electricals) and idevice/android chargers.

Actually if Austria is anything like here, then a couple of cold/hangover remedies might be worth having, since anything more pharmaceutical than Colgate Fresh Stripe you'll need to ask for over the counter.

When I went in to exile from UK, I couldn't believe the stuff people were taking. The company even did a bulk order at the cash+carry, so people could still have their baked beans ffs and HP sauce. Guess what... Heinz baked beans are available. So is HP sauce. Both in my local tiny shop. Oh and cheddar too (but there's a huge array of nicer cheeses).
ski holidays
clarky999, you want me to pick some up for you this afternoon (bacon that is)? Take a peek at the web site and get back to me: http://www.british-allsorts.com/

He has plenty of smoked or unsmoked and I have to drive past him to get home this afternoon. Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy