Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best time to ski in St. Anton!? Advice on 2-3 weeks travelling to Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellows.

I'm a new member and I'm so happy that I found this forum (the website design looks a bit pitiable, but the content is most valuable) Very Happy So this is my first post:

For the last two seasons I went to Austria's skiwelt, mostly because there's where I could find cheap 2-week long tours. Now I'm a more experienced ski-traveller and would like to go to Austria again, but to the major resorts, specially St. Anton. Most importantly, I want to keep improving my skiing and bring it to a higher level, and in this St. Anton looks particularly attractive because of its great reputation of ski schools and "academies"... (I'm thinking of http://www.pistetopowder.com/).

I would love to be there for At LEAST 2 weeks, unless anyone of you experts recommend going something else.

- What's the best time in January to do this trip?
- I'm looking for great snow conditions (specially for that off-piste course)
- Not too expensive part of the season (mid-late January should be OK)
- Not interrupted by special circumstances (like sports events, student breaks, etc.. etc..)
- I'm not so crazy about partying but I for sure would love some nice après-skiing environment everyday.
- I need to be back to Canada by Feb 9th for Whistler-Blackcomb.

I know this is NOT a travel agency, but I need to count with as much advice from ppl like you, and I'll appreciate it sincerely.

As a side-note: my ski-club to organizes 1-week long trips (the Whistler-Blackcomb I mentioned above is one of them.) They also have this 1-week trip to Les Trois Vallées on January 25 to February 2, problem is, it's only a 1-week tour, and my mentality is that if I go to Europe (I live in Toronto) I'll go for at least 3 consecutive weeks. I've thought of going to St. Anton 1 week, then Zermatt/Verbier 1 week and catch up with the club members.. But the distances are fairly large, and would probably lose 2 days in transportation. What do you think??!

Phew! Thanks again!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-10-12 21:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Coincidentally I'm also going to the Alps for 3 weeks this season. First week St Anton (from 14th Jan), then Zermatt and then Meribel in Les Trois Vallees. They aren't that far apart, ~4/5hr drive from St Anton/Zermatt and Zermatt/Trois Vallees.....set off early, ski by lunch? FYI the Ladies FIS World Cup is heading to St Anton 12th/13th Jan, so it'll probably be crazy busy then. I've looked extensively at the events calendars for these resorts during my planning, but not much else on that I can see.

Generally the earlier in Jan you go, the cheaper it is, apart from New Years week of course. Also, Jan tends to be bitterly cold compared with Feb/March, but I like it that way. Quieter!! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is no best time you could get dumped on, you could get skunked, it could dump so much that there is serious danger (google Dutch Prince Friso) or could be so cold that it's seriously unpleasant. That's skiing. Given your schedule 2 weeks to 24/25 sound about right.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowManiac wrote:
the website design looks a bit pitiable, but the content is most valuable Very Happy

Firm but fair... snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Second half of January.

It will be snowier.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're not too fussed about the amazing après and into ski touring, you could base yourself in Stuben instead of st Anton. Cheaper and quieter but more importantly better snow than st Anton with great off piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowManiac wrote:
Hello fellows.

- What's the best time in January to do this trip?
- I'm looking for great snow conditions (specially for that off-piste course)
- Not too expensive part of the season (mid-late January should be OK)
- Not interrupted by special circumstances (like sports events, student breaks, etc.. etc..)
- I'm not so crazy about partying but I for sure would love some nice après-skiing environment everyday.
- I need to be back to Canada by Feb 9th for Whistler-Blackcomb.

I know this is NOT a travel agency, but I need to count with as much advice from ppl like you, and I'll appreciate it sincerely.

As a side-note: my ski-club to organizes 1-week long trips (the Whistler-Blackcomb I mentioned above is one of them.) They also have this 1-week trip to Les Trois Vallées on January 25 to February 2, problem is, it's only a 1-week tour, and my mentality is that if I go to Europe (I live in Toronto) I'll go for at least 3 consecutive weeks. I've thought of going to St. Anton 1 week, then Zermatt/Verbier 1 week and catch up with the club members.. But the distances are fairly large, and would probably lose 2 days in transportation. What do you think??!

Phew! Thanks again!

After 5 of January is low-season (hotels owners usually have special offers with half-board and ski-pass).
12-13 January Womens World Cup.
In this case - go to St.Anton (or to Stuben in Arlberg if night life is not top-priority) for the 12-26 of January and after to Trois Valley
It is not necessary to lose 2 day for transportation. Use train from St.Anton to Moutiers. Just 10 h. train trip (www.sbb.ch) Very Happy
Stuben is good. For Stuben contact to Freeride Arlberg Alpin http://www.arlbergalpin.at/index.php?id=947
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best time to ski in St Anton is just after it has snowed. Everyone knows that dude
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowManiac, I would definitely try to hit up other resorts if you're here for three weeks. Zermatt is very expensive, Verbier likewise.. Not sure what your budget is. Have you thought about hitting up Chamonix and Verbier? Fairly close to each other and are great resorts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamonix's best slopes are at Argentierre, a short (free) shuttle bus up the valley. You can stay there but it is only a small village and Chamonix is the Town where the Vallee Blanche cable car (and other skiing accross from it) is.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timberwolf wrote:
The best time to ski in St Anton is just after it has snowed. Everyone knows that dude

Early bird gets the juiciest worms, you wanna be there while it's still snowing wink

OP, you won't get bored of the Arlberg in three weeks - you won't even see half of it in that time. If it were me, I'd rather stay in one place and try to get to know it as much as possible (where the best runs/pow stashes/etc are) than have a week in three different places but never find the best parts of any of them.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am with Clarky, but different strokes for different folks. I have been skiing the Arlberg for 10 years, maybe 300 days, and nowhere near bored. Really just scratched the surface of the slack country, let alone real back country. Then, there is going back to see old friends again...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It kind of depends on conditions as well, if they're poor.. he will most likely have skied the whole area within 4 days. If they're good.. then he'll be fine in just one resort. I know if I were travelling across the other side of the world I'd like to see a bit of variance in resorts but as you said! Different strokes for different folks snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found between 12.30 and 2.15 then straight to the KK to get a seat.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks a lot everyone for your comments, I am definitely making up my mind based on the experience of other people.
Cheers! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy