Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dissertation SMdB done. Operation Ski China Thesis commence.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I am a 4th year student at St. Andrews University and have managed to pluck a dissertation topic that enables me to ski for the month of January. My title is yet to be finalised but is going to be something along the lines of “The formation of a British expatriate community in St Martin De Belleville and their impact on the town.” The study is going to be primarily based on data gathered through interviews....this is hopefully where you guys come in. Do the Snowheads know of many people who live in St. Martin or have second homes there?
Any hints or suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers, Gavin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 4-12-13 14:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

have managed to pluck a dissertation topic that enables me to ski for the month of January

don't you mean "that requires me to do a lot of intensive structured interviews, data analysis and writing" during the month of January? wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing to help - but you lucky b*stard. My dissertation involved 6 weeks in the Scottish highlands, looking at rocks and being eaten by midges...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Or do you mean "that requires sitting in bars chatting to people every evening in Jan"
gdizzle, sorry can't help but sounds a fun project!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I do, you're quite right.

If you are a resident of St. Martin and are keen to give a motivated and driven student 30 minutes to interview you it will make said student's life much easier. I'd also be hugely grateful and would be more than willing to provide vin chaud, beer or if you're so inclined an option of Jäger or tea/coffee.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davkt, Having proposed "informal conversations in bars and on chairlifts as the main data gathering techniques" my tutor didn't deem these as suitable as I did, and as a retort suggested I generate data through "semi-structured interviews, focus groups and a bit more commitment"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
haha, this is so cheeky, pardon creative:) Well done!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes, my friends don't seem to have clocked the idea that a dissertation is an excuse to not do proper work, some of them are actively pursuing grim options such as "sewage channels in Dundee" and "housing tenure in Glasgow".
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thread of the week. No question.

Good luck gdizzle, I reckon you'll go far.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
God it's definitely time I went back to University...

Sorry this post also isn't helpful is it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, I'm glad you think I'll go far. Graduate employers seem less keen unfortunately. Perhaps I've found a niche in the market compiling long pieces of work on topics that have no impact on the world...oh wait, through my reading at university I think that niche has been filled more times over than is believable.

I am delighted by the enthusiasm for this thread but wouldn't mind some gem coming out of the woodwork with a comment along the lines of. "Yes, I've lived in St. Martin for 25 years and would be delighted to aid you in anyway possible". A boy can dream...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suggest finding a few independent chalet companies with chalets in St Martin that target brits. Chances are they live in the area, even if not in St Martin itself. I know of a couple a little further up the valley.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gdizzle, brilliant stuff and hope it goes well, a definite 1st heading your way snowHead Of course you'll be wanting your sample population for interviewing to not be skewed, and so at other end to the snowheads suggestions spectrum perhaps you can call in a few favours from your St Andrews contacts, you know who I'm thinking of, a loverly young couple...Hope it goes well; I suspect once you are out there you'll find plenty of folks to chat away to. Presumably you're going to be talking to the natives too re the impact bit?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gdizzle wrote:
davkt, Having proposed "informal conversations in bars and on chairlifts as the main data gathering techniques" my tutor didn't deem these as suitable as I did, and as a retort suggested I generate data through "semi-structured interviews, focus groups and a bit more commitment"

Though in your defence your tutor only commented on the format of the questioning structure rather than location so how about semi structured interviews in bars and chairlifts, though I suspect in the case of bars they may get less structured as the interview wears on and in the case of chairlifts they may be short and to the point!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good to see those high education standards being maintained in the UK Laughing

Just do what most smart students do for their thesis.

Make it up wink
ski holidays
Whitegold,

welcome back

missed you

insightful as always Very Happy
latest report
gdizzle, ...er just a couple of thoughts....not meant to be a bucket of cold water...if you are being serious, a point to note is that (i) it's not really a town. Brides Les Bains is just about a town. St Martin is not. (ii) there's not really a British ex-pat community at all, at least there wasn't when I've been there staying with a French friend who has a house there, but things might have changed in a couple of years...
latest report
gdizzle, valais2 makes a valid point there..... could you switch locations to Chamonix?

And can you speak French? Asking locals in English about the impact of the Brits might not be the most tactful idea.....
snow report
gdizzle, Not sure how big the permanent ex-pat community is in St Martin - for the 3 valleys, biggest year-round concentration is probably Bozel, and maybe Les Allues.

There's an ex-pat community here in Villarlurin (3 families) Cool
snow report
Thanks valais2 and pam w. There's been a lot of housing creation recently of which Brits have purchased a significant amount. There are also other British families who have been settled in St. Martin for several years so I'm confident I can produce a legitimate piece of work. We have a small apartment in St. Martin, which is what has inspired the study and which is why it's not really possible to move elsewhere. My French is basic at best but I've made enquiries with members of the tourist board and they seem happy to help. The main purpose of the post was to see if any snowheads were residents of St. Martin and if they'd be happy contributing or if anyone knew people in St. Martin who they could send my way.
ski holidays
Patch, one of the aspects I didn't mention in the initial post was that it's the impact of a seasonal community on the town, it doesn't have to be permanent residents. Thanks to everyone for all the input! Little Angel
latest report
While I admire your initiative I've got to say your supervisor is pretty weak if they accept this as a topic. Never having visited St Martin (only driven through) I can predict the outcome already -

Old boy farmer - Bof and a shrug of shoulders
Village Mr Big - We welcome all Brits (as he owns half the property and rents to punters and/or TOs)
Brit "resident" - well I'm only here for the skiing it's too dead out of season
Other Brit "resident" - We get on fine with the locals (for the 4 weeks a year they are there)

Does St Martin even constitute a sample size - what is the permanent year round population? How many Brits live there year round who don't own/run a hotel/chalet?
snow report
My dissertation is entitled "Sexual preferences of single middle-class females within the Eurozone: Does austerity matter in an Alpine environment?"

If anyone knows of any single girls from within the Eurozone who have access to accommodation in a major alpine resort featuring a king-size bed and a hot-tub and who wish to be part of an important piece of research, the results of which will be published in the letters sections of respected peer-reviewed international journals such as Hustler, Private and Men Only, please get them to contact me.

The science has to be respected.
ski holidays
gdizzle,
If you join this FB group (Face book BASIMembers group ) there are about 1,500 members of which (total guess) about 2/3 are really BASI members and some of them do live in sMdB, so you could post the same question there. Having said that, don't worry about sorting it prior to arrival, just go and sit in a bar in Jan and you'll meet loads of Brits.

I wish I had thought of sitting in a bar chatting to people for a month. My last thesis was titled, "Proposals for the morphology of non valenced orbitals". Mind you, looking at it now I can say with some pride that it is the biggest loads of bo***cks ever written – got to be worth something that..

Lenny Law wrote:
If anyone knows of any single girls from within the Eurozone who have access to accommodation in a major alpine resort featuring a king-size bed and a hot-tub and who wish to be part of an important piece of research.

Yep, here you go , enjoy

fatbob wrote:
While I admire your initiative I've got to say your supervisor is pretty weak if they accept this as a topic.

I had a 2 month lecturing job in the Seychelles in the late 80’s (work work work that’s all I do) and I met a German guy who's thesis involved him in going out at the same time each evening and counting the number of coconuts that had fallen that day. Go figure – particle physics on the beach and a bone idle German counting coconuts. The main point I couldn’t work out is how he had got the funding for that one approved - mind you, he did say the his supervisor regularly came out to check on his progress, maybe som-it to do with it.
snow report
gdizzle, Maybe you need to change the topic a little bit then? I remember that they don't appreciate at all if the thesis covers other things (though of course they can be mentioned) and drifts from the stated topic, no matter how well researched and written.Tourists and season workers are not exactly ex-pat community, so you might need to work around this bit. Also, since St.Martin de Belleville doesn't qualify as a town, you can use the particular region in the Alps in the topic and narrow it down in the thesis by using St Martin as example.
snow report
for ex pats ... try mountainexpress.co.uk. ... they moved to st jean / st martin and set up their transfer business about 10 years ago. Rob Smart founder of meribel unplugged is a mine of information on the area of St Martin.
snow conditions
gdizzle, could you broaden it out to the impact of the seasonal population on the town? That would be more interesting. The true "locals" will, I would guess, be fairly few in number and the "ex-pats" in the season will include a lot of French. In the small place where I have an apartment the permanent population is around 175 but in the season it's hugely more. A Frenchman with whom I had French conversation lessons told me a lot about how this worked. He was from northern France and contrasted his "neighbourly good relationship" with the guy down the road, who owned a small grocery shop, with their complete lack of any real connection or common interest. He had an Indonesian wife and an adopted black child and his experiences of the way they had been received were also highly relevant, not to mention depressing. The small genuinely local population seemed to include a lot of people who voted for Le Pen and who thought people from Haute Savoie were bloody outsiders, not to mention people from the Pas de Calais or New Caledonia. Their perpetual war with the mayor of Hauteluce was more important to them than the marginal - very marginal - impact of Brits.

It was fascinating for me to hear all this and they were ideal topics for my level of French, as the vocabulary isn't difficult.

He was a very cultured and well-read man - another area in which he found he had very little in common with the locals.
ski holidays
Isn't this the chance for a fluent French speaking Snowhead with time on their hands in January to offer their services?

Might be interesting to visit out of season too - would give a clue as to how transient the ex-pat community really is. And the locals left behind might have different point of view when the money isn't rolling in.

Good luck - sounds perfect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the steer, Wayne...
latest report
Quote:
He was a very cultured and well-read man - another area in which he found he had very little in common with the locals
Hmmmm.....that may not necessarily apply to gdizzle Toofy Grin
ski holidays
gdizzle, we stayed at the Chalet Alice Velut in St Martin, it's over the piano bar and is run by an English family, who were very nice and helpful to us during our stay.

Have a great month, aren't you lucky!
ski holidays
Well done for wangling skiing out of it, what course are you studying?
snow report
Hi Gavin,

I have sent you a PM regarding this, hope the dissertation is going well!
ski holidays
This is an amazing thread.

Whitegold as always hits the nail on the head.

Do 5 interviews. Make up 15 more...

I wondered at school (while making up geography results) WHEN people stopped making up results. GCSE? A Level? Degree? Masters? EVER?

Can safely say that you do not stop making up your results for a degree. Took me 3 days to do 7 of my required 50 transects. Luckily I was going away on holiday soon so spent my transatlantic flight head down making up results. Normally distributed, statistically significant, enought interesting anomalies... BOOM.
latest report
Agree with kat.ryb, 15 mins once at each location counting cars rather than an hour x 3 times at each location for Geography A-level. 5 survey responses multiplied by 10 for my dissertation.

My grades in both were however equally disappointing (that's a slight lie I actually got a good mark for my dissertation it was the rest of the course I bummed).

I'm quite impressed gdizzle, has been to see his supervisor already. Mine thought I'd met some terrible injury/accident earlier in the year as I didn't introduce myself until just before the Easter hols.

Good luck sir.
snow conditions
I have family just down the road in Saint Jean de Bellleville... if that is any help!!
snow conditions
I've been gone from snowHead for too long and felt I should return to this thread. My idea was slammed by some, applauded my a few and envied by many (I think). The title of my disseration ended up being "Perceptions of Stakeholders on the Impact of Tourism and Development in the Belleville Valley" and I ended up with a 2.1 so all in all I think I can declare it a success. Thanks for the help and suggestions from you lot, i didn't mention it in my acknowledgements, maybe I should have.

I just thought I'd take to the forum to recommend any young snow heads thinking about dissertations to do it on something ski related if you can. If you do end up going for it feel free to get in touch and I'd be happy to give advice if I had any.

Now onto my next project... I'm currently doing a masters in China in International business and feel a viable masters thesis could revolve around the development of tourism in China, especially ski tourism. If anyone has any suggestions... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
gdizzle wrote:
the development of tourism in China, especially ski tourism. If anyone has any suggestions... Twisted Evil

Muztagh Ata.
snow conditions
I've had a quick look into visiting Tibet and I think it's quite complicated getting a visa to tibet if you're in China on a student visa. Incredibly keen to take the train from Shanghai to Tibet once I finish at university in Ningbo.
snow report
Ping Tian Resort.

There's a book in there let alone a thesis.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy