Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See - advice for a beginner please... :)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I'm new on here so hoping I am in the right place to ask a couple of questions...
OK - we are going to Zell am See at Christmas (we have been before summer and winter as non-skiers) and this time we are going to (try to) ski.
We have had lessons on a local dry slope and can now snowplough, turn and use the stick lift (the one you put between your legs).
We would like to just experience the slopes without further lessons this time.
My main questions are:
1) Can you use the nursery slopes in Zell am See without being in a lesson? (we want to practice at least before we do anything else)
2) Where are these nursery slopes located? (I was told they are green slopes but can't find any on the resort maps)
3) What recommendations do any of you have about easy slopes?
non ski question (optional) what restaurants are good for a mixed age family - including one who doesn't eat meat? (we have always stayed in a hotel and not needed to eat out there before)
Thanks you so much for reading and replying.
Maria
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maria74, Welcome Very Happy

Please rethink this approach.

Doing a couple of snowplough turns on a dry-slope is a good start, but in order to get the most out of your holiday, you really need to be up on the mountain rather than poodling around on the baby slopes. This means being able to use t-bars and chair lifts, ski in a controlled manner on undulating pistes whilst surrounded by hundreds of other skiers, being able to turn/brake/stop etc without being a danger to yourself or to others. You're also going to be on a mountain, at 1500m +, probably in windy, cold conditions, on real snow, with trees, bumps, other people, snow machines etc to deal with.

Fortunately, you've chosen Zell am See, which is a great place for beginners as there are relatively easy slopes at the top of the mountain, so you get the views and don't spend all your time in the cold valley area. There are also some excellent ski schools. If nothing else, at least book ski school for your first day - you'll get a heads up on your abilities, be shown where it is safe to ski and not put yourself at risk.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 30-10-12 13:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Maria

Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Yes you can use the nursery slopes as an individual. There is a t-bar there that you can use but you need a valid lift card. The nursery slope is in the valley so you will need to catch the bus to the schmittenthal (I think).

There are no green runs in Zell. The easier slopes are higher up the mountain - all the runs down to Zell are difficult. You really want to spend most of your time on the slope next to the top of Areitbahn 1 (take the bus from Zell to Schuttdorf - it's free with your liftpass). This is a long gentle slope which should be good to learn. At the bottom of Areitbahn 1 there is another nursery slope - but this is small and very tame - more appropriate for very young skiers.

I would really encourage you to take lessons - I think you will get far more out of the holiday. You will improve your skiing and you will be shown the best places to ski for your level. All the ski schools are good and the instructers speak good english.

The restaurants in Austria are very meat orientated. However they are getting more veggie options, so I would look around the town for options. There are a few good pizza places. I always like the Kupferkessel on the edge of the town, quirky but good.

I hope you have a great holiday!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
quinton,

You beat me to the reply!! I've virtually repeated what you said!!

Maria - take quinton's advice about the lessons. It would be a false economy to try to go it on your own - and dangerous too.

Cheers
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maria74, I have to echo what quinton says though - take lessons out there as they will help you get much more out of the holiday. The days of beginners being stuck on nursery slopes for the entire week are well past and you will be guided around the most safe and secure pistes for your ability.

I'll point another snowHead (Robboj) in the direction of this post as he had a whole bunch of beginners introduced to skiing at ZamS last Christmas. I know he has used a number of different schools and combinations over the years there so he is possibly in the best position to advise.

Welcome to snowHeads by the way - this is a very addictive sport and also the web site is fairly addictive as well!
snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, You called? snowHead

Maria74, Firstly welcome, secondly where exactly are you staying so that I can guide you to the best combination of schools, slopes and nursery slopes. The one mentioned at Schmittental is probably the best but may be quite inconvenient for you as well as being freezing as it will be in almost permanent shade at Xmastime. Can you also tell me the numbers and ages in your group?

Also agree about lessons but if your happy to spend the money you may want to consider private lessons. In my experience the group lessons rarely place you properly at your level and you will spend at least a day in a group thats either below or above your level? To explain the ski schools will grade you on the first morning by asking you, along with everyone else who is not a complete beginner, to ski a short slalom course to determine your standard. Now, whilst I accept they have to do something to segretate the abilities, it is in practice a very inexact science as there is always a number of people who end up in the wrong class - either because they are so nervous and ski much worse than they can or on the other hand, they manage to play a blinder and ski much better than normal?

Even if you only have one private lesson and then join a ski school class this will help make sure that you are in the right class as the instructor will be able to place you with properly with a much greater understanding of your real ability?

The other advantage of a ski school class is the social one as you spend the day and if you like the apres and evenings in their company?

But pushed for time just now but will give you my tuppenceworth on restaurants etc later?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My advice would be to take as much tuition as possible before going on holiday, the higher your standard the more you will enjoy your expensive holiday. Once there, take as a minimum two days of private tuition and then decide what you want to do next.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maria74, Go for the lessons. Everyone is saying it. There must be some reason for that. Many years ago I went with my family (to a different resort) and we arranged private lessons for us as a family. We had a half day on the Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. It worked well for us. We got some intensive lessons and then time to practice before more intensive lessons. As I say, it worked well for us. The instructor was also able to point out suitable areas to go and practice on.

I have only been to ZamS once. Liked it a lot. The stand out memory for us, especially the children, was a trip to a restaurant one midday. Looking at the piste map it is possibly the Pinzgauer Huette which you got to by skiing down a snow covered road from near the start of the Hahnkopflift. The start of the road was not obvious. When you got to the Huette we had superb Kaiserschmarr'n and what a view ! To return to the main piste it was a tow on skis behind a skidoo (with a ride on the skidoo for younger less confident ones). I'm sure someone with more recent / more local knowledge than I will be able to say if my memory is right or if it is playing tricks on me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can only echo what everyone has said about lessons - but I'd also say that Zell is one of the most stunning resorts I've been to - enjoy the scenery!

Don't be tempted to try and ski back to town at any point, ALL the runs are difficult.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, not an original suggestion, but definitely take lessons. You will be extremely limited in what you can do, otherwise and will probably make very little, and very slow, progress.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you so much for your replies - I had posted before going out and really appreciate the many friendly replies I saw when I came home!

We are going as a family but only my husband and I are doing the skiing (or trying to at least) we are mid 30s. We will be with a 77yr old (my MiL) and an adult who has learning difficulties (my BiL) who won't be skiing so also don't want to spend all our time on the slopes so we can 'entertain' them with a little time for us to relax too! With this we, unfortunately, wouldn't really be able to benefit from the social side or the apres side of lessons.

We are staying in an apartment in Anton-Wallner Strasse so will be in the centre (when we stayed in the hotel it was the St Georg so know the road up the hill) - we did go up Schmittenhohe as 'foot passengers' in snow and Schmittenhohe and Kitzenhorn in the summer as 'foots' and I totally agree the views were absolutely amazing!

I was leaning towards a couple of days with an hour of private lessons each day with a little bit of practice on our own or just a couple of days in lessons - it is something that I hope we will do again as we have enjoyed the lessons here so we don't mind if we're not a great standard we just want to enjoy it and be safe. If anyone has recommendations for instructors/ski schools that would just do a couple of days - I would prefer half days but I haven't found half day beginner lessons online.

I must admit the chair lifts scare me (not good I know) - but I'm quite excited to be doing something new!
I definitely wouldn't want to ski all the way down! Maybe one day... but not for a long time Smile
Thank you again for your replies
Maria
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maria74,

we have been to zell a few times we stayed in in the sportcamp woflergut which is about a 10 minute drive from the car park at the bottom of the areitbalm bubble. As already mentioned the slopes at the top of the areitbalm1 station are pretty good for newbies and there are a couple of restaurant and bars there so a good place for non skiers and skiers to meet. it really is a very pretty area with lots to do and we go back there every other year.

I cant comment on ski schools for adults but we have always used ski school bruck for our children and been very happy with them. The person on charge is someone called Martha and she could tell you if they do adult lessons. Again as mentioned get some time in the uk indoor slopes if you can as it will make your holiday so much more fun, even if yu dnt think so at the time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maria74,

we have been to zell a few times we stayed in in the sportcamp woflergut which is about a 10 minute drive from the car park at the bottom of the areitbalm bubble. As already mentioned the slopes at the top of the areitbalm1 station are pretty good for newbies and there are a couple of restaurant and bars there so a good place for non skiers and skiers to meet. it really is a very pretty area with lots to do and we go back there every other year.

I cant comment on ski schools for adults but we have always used ski school bruck for our children and been very happy with them. The person on charge is someone called Martha and she could tell you if they do adult lessons. Again as mentioned get some time in the uk indoor slopes if you can as it will make your holiday so much more fun, even if yu dnt think so at the time.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maria74, If you need to be flexible then the group lessons may not work for you as all the ski schools in Zell prefer you there morning and afternoon i.e. 10am-12 and 1-3pm. Yes its a holiday and nothing is compulsory but its just awkward and the instructors moan a bit if you miss a session and you're therefore out of sync with the others. So private lessons it may have to be for you although the cost is diluted considerably with two of you on the same lesson. That way you can do a couple of hours in the morning and then practice what you have been taught in the afternoon.

You've been twice before so you know where your flat is relative to the City Express lifts which will be by far the easiest access point for you. You can rent skis there from Intersport http://www.bruendl.at/en/locations/zellamsee who will do a discounted rental and ski pass package if you book a few days in advance of departure. This saves you money and time as your kit is waiting for you in a vip area and you don't have to queue, they will also store your skis overnight for you saving you having to carry them up and down every day.

Ski Schools seem to be burgeoning in Zell these days. The main two are

http://www.ski-zellamsee.at/en.html Based in the same building as the lifts and hire shop they are the biggest in town. They have some great individual instructors if you can get them. I would suggest you email in advance and tell them you have been recommended to ask for any of these three gents- Francis, Kari or Hippolyt or these ladies- Jeanette or Jackie. If you cant get any of them insist on an experienced local instructor to make sure you don't get palmed off with some young (probably Dutch) kid who is there to party as much as instruct.

http://www.sport-alpin.at/skischule_english/index.htm are based just across the street and whilst I've never used them I've never heard anything but good things about them. I don't know any individuals but I will say they seem to only use more experienced instuctors.

There are others such as Outdo whom I've never used but have had a couple of personal run ins with (run a topic search on this subject if you want to know more about one)so I wont recommend them but that's based on my personal dislike of them and the way they operate rather than any skiing reasons.

I've also heard and read good reports about

http://www.allmountain-skischule.com/home_English.html

Although I know nothing else about them?

Lots of options there and its up to you but based on where you're staying all of them would want to meet you at the Mittelstation, which is at the top of the City Express Gondola. There is a rather small beginners area there which they will use to establish where you are ability wise and if you can they'll take you up one more chair (Hirschkogelbahn) and ski you down the road and onto Blue 1 'Panorama' which is a long wide gentle blue and perfect for learning on.

The bigger beginners area at the top of the Schmittental where the base station of the cable car etc is, is bigger but also much busier and as I said yesterday very cold at that time of year. As you know you will also have to bus up and down to it albeit the bus is included in your ski pass. You can also get a 'wander' ski pass for your MinL and BinL to use to come up and meet you for lunch some days. You don't mention any kids but if you have and they're under 5 they will get a free pass.

There are no green runs in Zell, nor in Austria that I know of. The other nursery area is at the bottom of the Areitbahn at Schuttdorf which I would not recommend as again you have to bus to it.

As far as mountain restaurants go there are no bad ones. Somebody mentioned the 'Pinzgauer Hutte' which you should be able to ski to ability wise in your week, it is a real experience as you have to be skidoo towed back up to the lift afterwards. I would not recommend this for your non skiers though as it is quite a hike on foot and way off the well worn walking paths. If you want to be shown how to get there offer to buy your instructor lunch and I'm sure they'll gladly take you at the end of a morning lesson? wink

My personal favourites are the Hochzeller Alm which is about 200yds from the top of the mountain heading north, which your non-skiers will be able to walk to, family owned and run and very good service and food. The other best one is Blaickners Sonnenalm which is on the Sonnkogel side of the mountain. It's all reds and blacks over there so your unlikely to be skiing there in this week but the restaurant is easily accessed by going up the Sonnenalmbahn (yellow) cable car which takes you right to it . You get this cable car at the Schmittental hub next to the main one. If you go there you have to have a 'Hirtenspeise' (shepherds spit) that is unless you are vegetarian.

In town again they are all fine. As mentioned the Kupferkessel is a long established favourite although I stopped going there as it always seems to be smoke filled thanks to the thoroughly bizarre smoking rules in Austria which I cannot make head nor tail of? Otherwise if you want a nice if not particularly cheap meal then the Zum Hirschen which you will pass every day or the Steinerwirt further down the main street. For cheap but good and plenty of it I would go for Pizza Guiseppe which is in the narrow street between the main square and Anton Wallner gasse. If you want a real treat take a taxi (unless the lake is frozen which would be highly unlikely at Xmas) to Thumersbach on the other side of the lake to the Lohninghof, quite the best food for for its (absurdly low) price in Europe imho.

Hope that helps, if you need anything more just ask? snowHead

P.S. One more thing, as others have said please don't attempt to ski any of the runs down to the town or the valley as they are all too difficult for you -unless you are literally the fastest leaners in history. If you find yourself back at Mittelstation then just use the Gondola back down or if at any of the others get the cable cars or relevant gondola back to the Schmittental or Areitbahn base station and then bus back to the City Express base.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj,

Do you have a link to the Outdo thread - my forum search skills are not very good and I failed to find it?

I used Ski-Zellamsee last season. I joined a class for the social aspect as most holidays I tend to ski on my own as friends/wife are not into skiing. Our instructor was a British guy, Anthony Long. He was brilliant as well as being a good laugh, I would highly recommend him.
ski holidays
Maria74, Meant to say don't worry about the chairlifts. If you do go to mittelstation you wont have to use one before you meet your instructor. Tell them that you have never used one and that you are nervous and they will keep you right and will also tell the lifties to help you. The Hirschkogel chair is almost certainly the first one you will encounter and is a relatively new four man and with three of you I suspect the instructor will try to ensure that no one else is on it with you, its quite a long ride but again you will be taught what to do at the other end. TBH if you can get onto and off a dining chair without using your arms then you will be fine, you just need to watch where you're putting your feet a little more than usual wink

One other probably controversial tip is to try and avoid Snowboardists until you are fully confident! To be fair if they're experienced you will be absolutely fine but imho few sports attract wanabee lookalikes just as much a snowboarding and in a lift queue its often difficult to tell the difference between the experienced and the carnage causing beginner rolling eyes
snow report
zellmaniac,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59969&highlight=

Les didn't work in Zell last year, some people made life there intolerable for him at the tail end of the 2011 season.....
ski holidays
Thank you so much again for your detailed and very thorough - in my short time on here you guys are some of the most helpful and friendly I have seen on any forum!

There are lots of things for me to further research now with the lessons - I now feel private is the way to go as it will suit our needs best so I will email the recommended schools - thanks

We have another lesson this evening on the dry slope (knockhatch nr hailsham) and we're looking forward to it!

Off to look at ski trousers now as half term (I'm a teacher) - thanks again
Maria
latest report
Maria74,

I hope you have a great holiday, let us know how you get on.

robboj, Thanks for the link. It's a shame about Les. I had a course of lessons with him a few years back when I was an early intermediate. He really improved my skiing (which still need tons of work!) and was a fantastic character - he has led an interesting life and always had an interesting opinion on any subject.
ski holidays
+1 for the All Mountain Ski School, particularly Werner (who I had lessons with).
latest report
Maria

I have stayed in Kaprun, linked resort, for Christmas before.
As per everyone else do take advice of lessons, you will learn a lot quicker and make new friends. Zell is a fantastic mixture of pistes for begineers most eay to get to (as per earlier threads), some tree lined some open.
Also you may or may not know your Zell ski pass also lets you out , if you fancy a 10-15 bus trip, on the Kaprun pistes as well if you fancy a change of scenery. You can go up the Kitzsteinhorn (3000m) great views, if weather holds, and great blue runs for beginners. Restaurants also very good, the Big Apple at 2500m has excellent choice. The Maiskogel run, bus to Kaprun centre, is also a very good beginers blue run.
Also things shut early Christmas eve, Christmas day is a normal day over there pretty much.
Enjoy.
snow report
zellmaniac wrote:

robboj, Thanks for the link. It's a shame about Les. I had a course of lessons with him a few years back when I was an early intermediate. He really improved my skiing (which still need tons of work!) and was a fantastic character - he has led an interesting life and always had an interesting opinion on any subject.

Yes he's a good guy and a great ski instructor, its a real shame he's had enough of Zell thanks to a few morons and bullies. Mad
snow report
Maria74, Glad to be of help, hope you enjoy it, please feel free to come back with any other questions and as zellmaniac said please let us know how you get on?

Good tip about Christmas Eve from Dockerz, that is the big day in Austria and not the 25th so make sure you're well stocked up before it?
latest report
Maria74, I am guessing that you're in East Sussex, given the reference to the dry slopes you're learning at. Notwithstanding the distance and your hols coinciding with school holidays, many find it quite useful to have lessons at an indoor ski slope on "real" snow. Certainly your dry slope intro is recommended but, if you can manage it, further lessons at somewhere like Hemel could also be a real pre-holiday benefit.
ski holidays
We stayed in Zell last winter, 1 veggie 1 not - found Hirschen and Giuseppe good places to eat.

Echo comments about the skiing at Zell. And if you want a day out then Kaprun is a nice change for blue-run skiing: usually less busy and you will actually be able to ski from top to bottom Cool
snow report
Our lesson was pretty good on Wednesday night - we are now allowed to 'go solo' on the slope. At the start I found it really hard (and as I am a curvy lady the boots were very painful on my quite large calves) - now we have found some boots that are good and I come off the slope with a big smile because I find it lots of fun! I hope that I can have that same feeling in ZamS! We still have more lessons booked in before we go and we are trying to get to an indoor slope if we can. And yes I am in East Sussex in hols and some weekends - I am in bedfordshire for work so want to try MK but this will depend on work hours and transport.

I am looking into the lesson recommendations and look forward to trying out some of those restaurant tips - thanks Laughing
We have pretty much decided for a couple of private lessons on the first two days and we'll see once we are there if we need to book more later in the week.

I did know that the 24th had an early closing but also thought 25th was closed as most places were last time (but 25th was a Sunday that year). But thank you for the reminder!

Yet another question (sorry) - is the spar or the supermarket in the pedestrian area open after 5pm on a Saturday or at all on a Sunday morning? We are hoping to arrive around 3-4pm on the Saturday... so will be cutting it fine. The spar is better for us as BinL has to get soya milk - they seemed to have a better soya range there last time - and we won't have a car so can't do out of town supermarkets easily.

thought of another quick question - if I'm asking too many things I'm sorry - can excursions be booked without being with a tour operator eg the sleigh ride through the forest (we did that before via neilson and thought MinL and BinL would like it) - is there a shop or contact in town that does this kind of thing?

Thank you all!!!
ski holidays
Maria74, Hemel is much better than Milton Keynes, IMHO, and probably just as convenient.

According to the Billa website the Billa in the pedestrian square opening hours (which match my recollection) are:

Mon-Fri 7:15 to 19:30
Sat: 7:15 to 18:00

Spar opening hours are:
Mo 7:00-19:00
Di 7:00-19:00
Mi 7:00-19:00
Do 7:00-19:00
Fr 7:00-19:30
Sa 7:00-18:00

Tourist Information will be able to help with excursions http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities
They are at 1a Brucker Bundesstrasse
Opening hours
Monday – Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon
snow report
We found the Steinerwirt good for veggie food - several dishes on the menu, and also the Chinese restaurant on the main road which had tofu dishes: a welcome change from cheese and eggs!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy