Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland 2013

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of a trip to Switzerland this winter and want some honest opinions about what places to consider.
We like good snow, a good sized area and all the usual. We want a good weeks skiing until we drop before we go on to our place in Tignes.
Not bothered about apres as we can do that at home. We are planing to go in January.
We are good skiers (Expert on piste / Blacks / powder / tress / bumps) but never done off piste (no safety gear or training). The wife is probably not up for off piste other than a sterile cat skiing type affair (we go to North America a lot but have still never managed to do that - no snow in Colorado in Feb 2012 grrrrrrr Mad ).

Anyone feel possionate about a particular place? Why? Same question if it is negative.

Thanks guys and gals

James
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt and Verbier spring effortlessly to mind. Both aimed at confirmed-to-expert skiers with not much concession toward beginners, both enormous, both very scenic (in the case of Zermatt there's nowhere prettier IMO).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr Piehole, I'd say Wengen was as pretty as Zermatt (perhaps prettier) but it does not have huge amounts of expert skiing being better suited to Intermendiates, it does have plenty of nice 6 to 7 km long runs though
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at Arosa, not many brits...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Concur with Mr Piehole, that Zermatt is fabulous for the views. It also has a great variety of runs and (now) a good lift system also a large area to ski which by the sounds of your ability would be welcome.

Downside is of course its expensive.

Personally think if you are a good skier it's the kind of resort you should experience even if you choose never to return.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
1. Verbier;
2. Zermatt;
3. St Moritz;
4. Klosters.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Split1950 wrote:
I am thinking of a trip to Switzerland this winter and want some honest opinions about what places to consider.
We like good snow, a good sized area and all the usual.
Not bothered about apres as we can do that at home. We are planing to go in January.

James

1. Flims-Laax
2. Klosters
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zermatt has to be done at least once in your life. There's more than enough for a week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't been to so many, but most of them are mentioned above. Verbier, Flims/Laax, Klosters/Davos.

Are you sticking to the pistes then? If so Flims/Laax is a good bet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf wrote:
Mr Piehole, I'd say Wengen was as pretty as Zermatt (perhaps prettier)

Yeah, but there's only one Matterhorn. wink

P.S: not sure I ever thanked you for your Wengen advice last year - so thanks; loved it! Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Split1950, In no particular order, all excellent IMO

Davos/ Klosters - nice cruisy area, some challenging stuff
Zermatt - all good, apart from the town which is quite dark, and v pricy
Verbier - brilliant (but v pricy)
Flims/ Laax (good laugh, too many boarders though)
Villars (cruisy place, good area)
Braunwald (brilliant, a gem)

Have heard good things about Wengen, Grindelwald, Engelberg and Andermatt but have never been. I have no desire to go to Saint Moritz but again supposed to be excellent skiing (just not my cup of tea, too posy, and a lash).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can make Verbier 'normal cost' by staying in Nendaz, La Tzoumaz, etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29, I really like Engelberg but it isn't very extensive on piste.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

You can make Verbier 'normal cost' by staying in Nendaz, La Tzoumaz, etc

Split1950, Agree with Mr Piehole, if you are happy to ski into the main 4V areas of Verbier via Siviez over the link (January should be fine) look at Hotel Les Etagnes in Nendaz, great place right next to the main bubble.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, Agreed there's only one Matterhorn and it is the archetypal chocolate box image of a mountain village (well town these days) but I think that Wengen is prettier, Zermatt because of the Matterhorn is perhaps more Dramatic
ski holidays
Verbier. Can't go wrong. Not extensive piste skiing, but then you can easily drop down a nice mogulled Tortin to 4 Vallees and pistes get much better there, or go back up on a gondola and do it again, and again... Mogul paradise when there is no new snow, so you and your wife should enjoy it. Great steep itinerary from top of Mont-Gele - non-pisted mountain in the resort. I think it will offer enough for you for a week so you don't really have to go off-piste proper for entertainment. Just watch the time and lift closures - you don't want to be left on the wrong side of the mountain as it's only close on skis and lifts, otherwise very long and expensive trip in a taxi. For piste skiing you can also take a trip over the Bruson side, they will be steeper there and the area is much less crowded, but as it's North-facing in January it might be quite cold. If you don't want to experience Verbier atmosphere and nightlife, you can stay somewhere on the 4Vallees side, it's quiter and cheaper and you have access to the same ski area plus will have better groomers nearby.
ski holidays
never summer, are you having a giraffe? I've never known anyone really go to Bruson for the pistes, they're certainly not terribly steep. The tree skiing is however stunning. Split1950, if you do decide on Verbier, happy to help with accommodation and other advice. It would be a good choice.
latest report
Split1950,
Agree with
Verbier/4valleys
Zermatt
Flims /Laax
and Davos /Klosters
Would also suggest as possibilities if big areas are your thing Swiss half of Portes de Soleil and Samnaun side of Samnaun/Ischgl as Swiss possibilities.

But the thing I would suggest if you are keen on good snow is leaving your decision till late there can be quite differing snow fall in East, West and Central Switzerland . January is low season and choosing late should mean a better chance of the best snow.
latest report
Steve Sparks, True, but still better than M25 and quieter.
latest report
Split1950, Veysonnaz in the 4 Vallees, you'll have access to over 412km of ski runs. Quoted in the Times on 20th October in a ski special entitled "Europe's Secret Ski Resorts' it was described as 'the most charming of Verbier's satellites'. You have also got the Piste de l'Ours, a challenging world cup slope.
snow report
Swissie, Agreed great, and also some monster drag lifts! wink
snow report
Out of the 28 Swiss facilities I have been my top 5 are

Zermatt (setting, snow, altitude, infrastructure, Italian side, exclusiveness.....)
St Moritz (mature and exclusive resort)
Davos/Kloster (good transport link between various resorts like skiing to the far end and take a train back)
Saas Fee (different)
Flims/Laax/Federa (nice, easy, large and modern)

Didn't put Verbier in because I don't think snow is that good. Wengen, Samnaun/Ischgl, Gstaad are also nice but I would give Porte Du Soleil a miss unless one is keen on drag lifts.
snow conditions
saikee, the snow in Verbier was fantastic last season, I was skiing in knee-deep powder in mid-April. If anything it is one of the more reliable resorts for snow and has a longer season than most.

As for Portes du Soleil, drags are only an issue in certain sectors and are very rare and easily avoided in Champery, Les Crosets and over to Avoriaz, Morzine, Les Gets, etc

Personally Zermatt would be my recommendation though - a truly special place
ski holidays
Zermatt-no question. The village is lovely, not as blingy or as full of braying "Hugos and Camillas" as Verbier. Good and varied ski area. The most iconic view of any ski resort, great grub on and off the mountain. Fab pasta on the Italian side. I confess I've only been early/pre season so not skied the whole area. Based wholly on that not very scientific experience, I would recommend staying at the top end of the village nearer the church and the Matterhorn glacier paradise lifts.

Unless you are a complete off piste junkie, Verbier is (sorry Verbier fans!) overrated. On mountain food very disappointing. Staying at satellite villages in the 4V is an option-we have stayed at La Tzoumaz which was nice, also at Les Collons which is at the outer reaches of the ski area. The links can involve very tedious drag lifts. The Tortin itinerare is OK if there has been some some snow. Nendaz is very poorly linked into the Verbier area. Because the links are poor, everyone tends to ski in the main area above the village.
snow report
saikee, Verbier (and the 4 Vallees) have a well deserved reputation for awesomely good snow. Maybe you were unlucky.

Swiss PDS is slowly but surely eliminating the few drags that are left. What's wrong with a drag lift anyway that you can use it as an excuse to discard a rather excellent set of ski areas?

Saas Fee definitely not up there compared to Verbier or PDS in my book.
ski holidays
I had some good time in Verbier. Snow is alright on the Grand St Bernard side but may be I made a mistake trying also the Sion side and skied into water. Snow is only relative. The more difficult to get to resorts could appear to have better snow because there are less visitors there. Verbier is close to France and can get quite busy.
ski holidays
My vote would go to the Val d'Anniviers which covers the resorts of Zinal, Grimentz, St Luc and Vercorin. You don't go there for the apres-ski but the skiing is excellent both on and off-piste. Plus it is one of just 2 places in Switzerland that the guys at Where to Ski & Snowboard give a price index of less than 100 (95) which means it offers good value for money. Excellent snow record and a lot less busy than Verbier or Zermatt. For great catered chalet accommodation check out Chalet Edelweiss in Mottec www.skizinal.com. Eric and Penny are great hosts and love their skiing!
snow conditions
Swissie wrote:
Split1950, Veysonnaz in the 4 Vallees, you'll have access to over 412km of ski runs. Quoted in the Times on 20th October in a ski special entitled "Europe's Secret Ski Resorts' it was described as 'the most charming of Verbier's satellites'. You have also got the Piste de l'Ours, a challenging world cup slope.

Veysonnaz better piste skiing on it's doorstep but I would far rather stay in Nendaz - there is not much in Veysonnaz at night.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fifespud, Agreed the nightlife is better in Nendaz, I just don't like the schlep to the lift, but I do like going over to Nendaz its a fun place.
snow report
Zermatt
never the same resort more than twice, and never consecutively, till we went to Zermatt in 2010. We are going for the 3rd time this Feb. All above is correct, plus unless you try to spend, apart from the lift pass, I find it pretty reasonable. Very good hotels cheaper than France, but not as cheap as Austria it is true. Wonderful place though, needless to say. We went on the 'ski Zermatt at least once before you die' idea, and keep going back to share the experience with our kids who we could not all get to go the same year.
snow report
It's official then. Zermatt is the best thing in Switzerland apart from fully licensed brothels.
ski holidays
Split1950,
Zermatt of course ....lots of varied ski areas as well as a trip over to Italy for mountain lunch.
I'd recommend the Schweizerhoff and have a view of the Matterhorn room.

Verbier has great skiing.

As you are fond of France ... Try Champery, great skiing in Switzerland on the Portes de Soleil. Not far from home for you!
latest report
Mr piehole, I reckon they must have those as well discretely hidden, and upmarket though. Toofy Grin
snow report
Try to beat Zermatt with

The highest cable car
The highest run (also one the biggest vertical drops and longest runs from the Klien Matterhorn summit at 3885m to Valtournenche at 1524m with the sensation of skiing at the top of the world! with only snow and sky)
A chairlift you can place your skis elsewhere and sit face to face with your friend when going up a skiing slope (in a train!)
Men and Ladies rooms that can put many airports to shame.
Accommodation cost is nothing unusual if one stays in the Italian side
A romantic place (people go there to propose, for honeymoon, for anniversay etc)
Far from the madding crowd (can only reach there by trains or a pair of skis or snowboard from Italy)

Although the ski pass is the most expensive in the Alps but only marginally above the other big European resorts but dirt cheap if you compare with the North Americans. It may not be the best skiing for some but always an enjoyable place to be by any skier.
snow conditions
Split1950 wrote:

We are good skiers (Expert on piste / Blacks / powder / tress / bumps) but never done off piste (no safety gear or training). The wife is probably not up for off piste other than a sterile cat skiing type affair (we go to North America a lot but have still never managed to do that - no snow in Colorado in Feb 2012 grrrrrrr Mad ).

No Cat skiing in Europe - that's the great thing here, you can ski far away from the pistes into untracked valleys by simply going up lifts and skiing off the back or traversing - or perhaps walking up for half an hour. You do need a guide, though, and they will lend equipment. Of course if you were prepared to skin for an hour or two (which is very easy) you could get to even more remote places.
Many resorts have guiding companies who will put you with others of your standard but I don't really know the Swiss ones.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:

No Cat skiing in Europe - that's the great thing here, you can ski far away from the pistes into untracked valleys by simply going up lifts and skiing off the back or traversing -

Apart from in Andorra, which is definitely in Europe Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Mr Piehole, I'd say Wengen was as pretty as Zermatt (perhaps prettier) but it does not have huge amounts of expert skiing being better suited to Intermendiates, it does have plenty of nice 6 to 7 km long runs though

Prettiness?
View and panorama in Hasliberg beats Wengen and Zermatt hands down..
ski holidays
Engelberg is great for a short trip/long weekend, but unless you like the off-piste adventures, is relatively limited for a week-long trip. Very easy to get to, though, and not as expensive as most Swiss resorts.

Next season's hot tip is Arosa, with the planned lift link to Lenzerheide almost doubling the size of the skiable area!
latest report
What is it with the fascination of huge skiiing areas? I understand the need for variety, but often the best skiing is had on smaller less well know hills with a couple of lifts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy