Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 12/13

Poster: A snowHead
Up to 60cm fresh in Austria (Obergurgl)

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, you are slow waking up from your summer snooze! Lots of the area reports are already up and running! Some of us never stopped skiing this year. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samerberg Sue wrote:
DB, you are slow waking up from your summer snooze! Lots of the area reports are already up and running! Some of us never stopped skiing this year. wink

I found about 147 threads on various Austrian resorts and a general Austrian Snow conditions thread for 11/12. I did think about updating all the Austrian weather threads but then thought "stuff that life's too short" and started a new thread. Some of us prefer to wear lycra, work rubber and get dirty rather than ski on grey ice in the summer Razz

http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/sixcms/media.php/6/thumbnails/MB_2010_Matsch_Fun__11_69d8f9e289c9629ffe5f65af06555000_pds2.jpg.2657771.jpg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB,
Quote:

Some of us prefer to wear lycra,and rubber and get dirty

I knew your work sounded suspect Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kooky, Laughing Laughing

DB, Shocked Shocked I knew you could be kinky, but that is stretching it a bit isn't it? wink Psst no greyed out ice on Hintertux this summer, just a bit slushy in the afternoons so we went cycling instead! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The lifts are opening in Kitzbühel this coming Thursday, 1st November, at least two of them at Pass Thurn: the upper section of the Panoramabahn gondola and the 4-seat Resterkogel chairlift. Maybe I'll have to give it a go, though as I understand it, only the pistes by the Resterkogel lift will be open, not the run down to the middle station of the Panoramabahn.

For the whole season there is also a new special ticket for that restricted area (including the 6-seat Resterhöhe chairlift, when it is running). That costs €25 (€10 for children).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Mölltaler Glacier saw 40cm of fresh last night.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
espri wrote:
The lifts are opening in Kitzbühel this coming Thursday, 1st November, at least two of them at Pass Thurn: the upper section of the Panoramabahn gondola and the 4-seat Resterkogel chairlift. Maybe I'll have to give it a go, though as I understand it, only the pistes by the Resterkogel lift will be open, not the run down to the middle station of the Panoramabahn.

For the whole season there is also a new special ticket for that restricted area (including the 6-seat Resterhöhe chairlift, when it is running). That costs €25 (€10 for children).

There are some nice pics of conditions there yesterday from our Teutonic friends over on Alpinforum:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44810&sid=6e7e02aeb7aca82ea02f7d2adc10f359
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi, Off topic but that last picture is a cracking shot of the Pinzgau valley Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi wrote:
espri wrote:

There are some nice pics of conditions there yesterday from our Teutonic friends over on Alpinforum:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=44810&sid=6e7e02aeb7aca82ea02f7d2adc10f359

Unglaublich! Looks fantastic for this time of year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This week summary from Austria.
Planai (Schladming) opened on Tuesday, Turracher Höhe on Wednesday, Kitzbühel on Thursday. Sölden opened a lot of new pistes and lifts, so did Stubai glacier. In Kaprun you can ski down to the Alpincenter from this week.
Reiteralm and Hauser Kaibling are close to open, Austrian and German race teams are training here this week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haven't skied yet but inspected the slopes from a distance on Saturday. The photo below (taken from above the Hintersteiner See near Scheffau village) shows snow on the upper slopes at Scheffau.

There wasn't any snow in the valleys then but it snowed again overnight and this morning (not a great deal at my place), so that there was snow even lower down in Fieberbrunn today. Here's the view of the ExpoLiner lift on the Doischberg.

I don't expect that this snow will stay but I have heard that there is already a good base on the upper slopes at the Reckmoos. Fieberbrunn hopes to open its lifts on 24th November. We shall see.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbühel update:

Now it is reported that the Kitz lifts are only running at weekends presently, though that seems to include Friday 9th Nov at Pass Thurn (I don't think that was made clear earlier - hope nobody was misled). However the good news is that more lifts will be running from this weekend on:

At Pass Thurn piste 70 down to the valley and the G1 6-seat chairlift will be operating in addition to the lifts reported earlier.

Better still the Fleckalmbahn at Kirchberg will be starting up and, with the Jufenalm chairlift up to the Steinbergkogel also operating, there will be some real skiing available higher up (mainly the circuit from the Steinbergkogel to the Jufenalm, piste 16). The pistes back down to the Fleckalmbahn are not being opened.

Full details here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought I would try Kitzbühel to start my season as a change from a glacier, so off I went to the Fleckalmbahn near Kirchberg today. The prospects were somewhat intimidating, for the weather forecasts I had heard promised rain and winds gusting to 130 km/hr. And indeed it started raining just as I left home.

There is no snow at all on the lower slopes and higher up not much yet either but last year it was a month later before the lifts opened here. Here is a view looking from the Ehrenbachhöhe to the Steinbergkogel.

And the Steinbergkogel is where the skiing was today. The Jufen chairlift was running and that offered a round run of about 15 minutes, mostly going down the Jufen Steilhang (occasionally I would take the alternative track for a bit of variety). Not really much to try but what skiing there was was good. The snow was hard-packed, mostly artificial, I suspect. This is the view from the top of the Steilhang and the photo below is looking back at the slope from the other side.

The weather was very changeable but nowhere near as bad as I had feared (or as it was elsewhere - torrential rain ... Osttirol: farmer killed in a mudslide, Italian South Tirol: flooding). I only had spitting rain when I started and again for a few minutes about three o'clock. There was also almost no wind, except a little right up on the ridge. Sometimes you had great views, here over to the Wilder Kaiser...

But a few minutes later it would be like this...

I was surpised to find that several huts were open (3 that I saw) and I had lunch in the Bergasthof Hochbrunn, one of my favourites - 2 Kaspressknödel in der Zwiebelsuppe (like French onion soup with a couple of cheesy dumplings - very tasty)...

When I came out after lunch, the weather was beautiful as I went up the lift again. But skiing down was into cloud, though the Kitzbüheler Horn and the Steinbergkogel were still showing...

However, the clouds didn't stay long and I saw rainbows before the end of the day...

All in all it was a good start to the season. I had been lucky with the weather - and no queues Very Happy

P.S. Have read now that the Fleckalmbahn was shut down because of high winds on Saturday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Check out these pictures from Ischgl Shocked

http://www.ischgl.com/de/active/skigebiet/aktuelle-bilder
ski holidays
Looks fantastic at Ischgl. But where do they get the snow? It wasn't like that in Kitzbühel on Sunday. OK, Kitzbühel is lower. But even today on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier I thought that they were short of snow compared to previous years. But probably there was plenty there; judge for yourself from the photos below.

The drive from Fieberbrunn had been under cloud but it began to look more promising after Kaprun as I approached the car park for the lift up to the glacier.

And it did turn out to be a great day up top, blue sky and sun and hardly any wind. Quite warm in the sun but, as usual, chillier once the shadows came over the pistes in the afternoon. The photo below is from near the top station of the Gratbahn, looking over towards the Kees and Kitz T-bars. In the foreground is the bottom station of the new T-bar up the Maurer glacier (it wasn't running). Neither was the Kristallbahn chairlift, which has always been in operation about this time in the past three years. But that may well be because there weren't enough customers to make it worthwhile. I heard that there had been skiing down to Langwied, the middle station of the gondola, at the weekend. As well as the Gratbahn and the 3 T-bars on the glacier, the Sonnenkarbahn I lift was operating. Made for a reasonably varied day's skiing.

It wasn't that busy so that there was virtually no queuing. As usual around this time there were numerous training groups (I did chat with one man from Sunderland who is out for a 6 week instructor course). All the snow cannons were going full blast for most of the day.

Snow was mostly hard and conducive to belting down the glacier. Still rocks sticking through a good deal off the prepared pistes. For lunch I had a rather greasy pizza (though it was tasty enough) in the Alpincenter shown in the photo below.

And finally a view looking over the main glacier skiing area to the Grosser Schmiedinger (2957 m), showing what a fine day it was.

ski holidays
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some photos over on Alpinforum from today in Schladming and the Hintertux & Stubai glaciers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a pretty one from the Stubai:

snow conditions
Skied on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier again today, with the weather just about as perfect as a week ago (though this time the valley wasn't under the clouds). Snow was firm, mostly ok but pretty hard in places with occasional icy spots. Only the Gratbahn and Sonnenkarbahn chairlifts were running, with the T-bars on the glacier. Quiet again; the photo below shows the queues at the Kees and Kitz T-bars at about the busiest time of the day, mid-morning...

I lunched today at the Gletschermühle restaurant beside the Alpincenter. Good enough but nothing special; however, I could sit outside in the sun. Here's the view from the terrace...

On the way home I stopped at the Areitbahn in Zell am See and took this photo showing that they have started making artificial snow there, though not much yet (but hopefully it means they think winter is coming)...
snow report
Having sat out yesterday when the weather was duller, I skied in the sun on the Kitzsteinhorn again today. I had suspected that the pistes might be busier with the weekend starting and they probably were. But today the Kristallbahn and Langwiedbahn were also running, so the crowds were more spread out and again virtually no lift queues. The extra chairlifts also opened up some interesting pistes. Here's a view looking up to the Krefelder Hut from Piste 11 leading down to Langwied, the middle station of the Gletscherjet gondola.

There was plenty of action in the upper fun park (less from me). The lower fun park with its big jumps and halfpipe hasn't been opened yet but snow cannons were pumping snow onto it.

And here's a final photo looking down the final gully on piste 4a, on the glacier alongside the Kitz T-bar. And the slope was a bit glacial where it had been scraped. Otherwise the snow was generally fine.

A good day.
snow report
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A good photo report on the Alpinforum from Ischgl today, Amy MacDonald is in concert there this evening to celebrate the opening weekend.

It looks like a lot of piste skiing available in the high bowls, but lower runs are still being made and Winter still hasn't arrived in the valley:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
latest report
luigi, can safely say skiing above 2000m was great, pistes very well prepared. Off piste was very mixed, but fun to be had up high if you hiked. One run possible to the valley (thanks to snow cannons). Amy Macdonald great fun (she was clearly a bit chilly). Party still in progress...
snow conditions
The winter arrived in Fieberbrunn overnight and the forecast is for temperatures to stay low for another week or so, with some more snow to follow.

This morning I had to clear 16-22cm (at 860m) and by the time I had been down in the village for an hour another 4cm had fallen. When I returned, the snowploughs were at work...

Later the sun came out for a while. Here is a view looking over to a run on the Buchensteinwand (with the cloud on top), and with the Loferer Steinberge to the left and Leoganger Steinberge on the right.

The lifts in Fieberbrunn are opening on Sat 8th Dec (a public holiday here: Maria Empfängnis).

Zell am See is opening a few lifts higher up on Wed 5th Dec.

Saalbaach-Hinterglemm starts up on Fri 7th Dec and "the majority of the lifts will be opened", with a couple of lifts in Leogang already running on Thursday. Kids (to 15) free on 9th & 16th Dec.

Kitzbühel will be running lifts daily from Sat 8th Dec.

The Loferer Alm will decide on Thursday if they are starting up this weekend.

The SkiWelt begins on Thu 6th Dec in Scheffau and on Sat 8th Dec in the other areas.

That's probably enough to be going on with - roll on winter Very Happy

P.S. SaraJ's blog reports some skiing at Hochfügen. Just as well - I'm going there next Sunday Smile
ski holidays
I was back on the Kitzsteinhorn today, with more wintery weather. It didn't start out too badly but by noon the clouds came down and it started snowing lightly. However, it wasn't as bad as yesterday, when it was -17°C with wind (as a liftman told me). Here's a view looking down to Langwied, the middle station of the GletscherJet gondola, before the weather deteriorated.

The area was pretty quiet, though there were a number of groups around. Here are classes of beginners in ski school beside the AlpinCenter.

There was some new snow, making for good skiing, though the poor visibility meant that I struggled at times. Most of the area was open now and the majority of the lifts running. This is how it looked at the top of the Kees T-bar on the glacier during the afternoon.

All in all, quite a strenuous day but still enjoyable.
snow report
Skied the Kitzbühel Ski Safari today, starting at the Fleckalm gondola near Kirchberg. First I checked out the new Walde chairlift on the Hahnenkamm (replacing an old T-bar). It is only a short run but moderately steep. Here's a view looking down to the bottom station...

The "Family Streif" piste starts there. I followed that for a bit and then cut off onto piste 22, the Kampen run. I had this beautifully prepared piste all to myself. In general the lifts, even the Hahnenkammbahn and the 3S gondola over to Jochberg, weren't at all busy. The photo shows the top station of the Ganslern chairlift that you use to get back from the Kampen piste to the Hahnenkamm gondola, with Kitzbühel down in the valley...

The Walde wasn't the only new lift for me to try. Travelling south towards Pass Thurn, I used the new 2000er chairlift, an 8-seater replacing the old 2-seater that was there before. This is a big improvement...

The weather was good, if mild. There was light cloud in the morning but more sun in the afternoon. Mostly the pistes were hard but only occasionally icy. Some of the south-facing slopes were getting softer (I saw +6°C shown at the Kasereck lift around noon). Off-piste, with frozen ruts, wasn't much fun and too challenging for me. For that reason I didn't try the area under the 2000er lift which is sometimes interesting (there is still no depth of snow there presently).

I skied all the way to the Panoramabahn above Pass Thurn, lunching at the Toni-Alm. The Ski Safari is mostly motorway type pistes. Some of the connecting tracks between the lifts aren't that exciting but I find it still makes a good day's skiing. By the time I was getting back (after a run down the Pengelstein) it was after four o'clock and the sun was setting over the Sonnenrast lift by the top station of the Fleckalmbahn...

However, there was still one further novelty to discover. Skiing down the Maierl pistes (26/16), I found that a new direct route had been opened up. Just up from the Maierlalm, where there used to be a track round S-bends, a good many trees have been chopped down and a straight run opened up. It seemed steep enough to me that I might call it Mausefalle II Laughing. The photo shows the bumps just above the old track (where the skidoos are going down). The track is still there but now you can drop straight down to the Maierlalm instead of skiing round the track...

Merry Christmas!
ski holidays
That last bit about the trees being cut down is really interesting to know. That track through the trees always got very rutted and busy so that should solve that. Setting off to Kitz tomorrow afternoon so very excited now!

Good report espri.
snow report

I thought I should start the New Year with a new lift, so yesterday I went to Lofer, to inspect the new 8-seater Schwarzeck chairlift which has opened up a new area on the Loferer Alm. The photo above is of the top station and shows the wide piste leading off from there. The new lift does make the Loferer Alm even more attractive than it was before. As well as the piste (with two variations) it makes a whole new face available under the lift. That should be great with fresh snow (yesterday it was mostly hard snow, with small bumps). The photo below has the new lift in the middle and you can see the lie of the land. Down towards the left lower corner are the top of the Loferer Almbahn II gondola and the bottom station of the Family Express chairlift. The slope is mostly south-facing, so I don't know how well it will keep its snow but at present the run is excellent.

The crowds I had seen in the Hochkönig area the day before had all but disappeared (presumably sleeping off hangovers). It was very quiet and I took the chance midday to make the run down to the valley without the usual mobs. I stopped at the Jausenstation Faistau for lunch - their menu isn't extensive but the view is superb...

On the way down into Lofer I also had a few runs on the Postalm T-bar. The Loferer Alm is probably another place best and deservedly known for its wide motorway pistes, excellent for intermediate skiers. But there is another side to the area too, with more challenging runs. As well as at the Postalm, a relatively straightforward black piste, there is another black piste, nr. 12, the Hochwena Alpin which is an interesting run down through the trees as shown below...

Snow was excellent, mostly firm and few icy patches. Off-piste was hard work, rutted for the most part. However, with excellent weather, a good start to the year - so to all snowHeads Happy New Year...

ski holidays
great pictures Smile

Did you catch the bloke who took a dump in your soup? Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
great pictures Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all

Am off to Zell am See on Saturday does anyonenhave any updates on the snow there?

Thanks.
ski holidays
bergfex is your friend for weather snow updates
snow report
thaks jafa, just what i needed
snow conditions
red 27 wrote:

Oops, didn't notice Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
A significant dump East of Innsbruck is forecast for tomorrow and Saturday. snowHead

http://www.bergfex.com/salzburg/wetter/schneevorhersage/
snow conditions
Just back from Zellamsee to day , what a horrible day and night ..never saw rain like that in Austria! well ! anytime we spent there but apparently up on top it was dumping !my son stayed on and he said conditions were great ,obviously it was not groomed but plenty fresh snow . his accommodation is very quiet ,the lady of the house said a lot of people went home on account of the rain but weather looking good again tomorrow.
latest report
Knee deep powder at the top of Zell am See, new snow from 1200m up. Stay high and enjoy !
snow report
Beware that the avalanche danger is as high as I have ever seen it. They were even issuing warnings on the panorama cameras this morning NOT to go off piste, something I have not seen before.

The snow that fell earlier this week is very heavy and wet so the lighter powder falling on top of it is setting up for some slips as it is still not freezing out there.

rayscoops, I see you arrived in time for the reopening of the Areitbahn! They had a mechanical problem last week which caused a few problems getting up and down the mountain!
snow conditions
Rain, cloud and fog in St Johann in T. Snow is holding up quite well and even some powdery stuff at the very top.
snow conditions
Lots of wet snow in Fieberbrunn today. Survival skiing piste marker to piste marker up top.
ski holidays
Quote:

Rain, cloud and fog in St Johann in T. Snow is holding up quite well and even some powdery stuff at the very top

HutToHut

Thanks for the report. Off to St Johann on the 19th with my son and his mate (wife hates skiing so the boys are alowed out) so with the forecast and things holding up well its looking good for then Very Happy
snow conditions
Saw the sun at one point today! Some decent snow about, but also lots of sugar. Scraped and brown patches at the bottom. Sunnier tomorrow and snow thurs fri. 19th jan looking good. Great base a top up of snow end if this week and then colder IIRC the weather thread properly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy