Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjustable Ski Poles - Recommendations & Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of getting a pair of adjustable ski poles and am looking for recommnedations as well as general advice tips on what I should be considering when looking for an ideal pair.

A couple of things to consider:
1. I want adjustable poles as much for ease storing and carrying as much as I want them for any benefit regarding skiing;
2. I would like poles that would also double quite well as hiking/trekking poles, so something durable with removable baskets would be good. In fact, chances are they will spend more time used for hiking in Hong Kong than they will be for skiing.

Cheers...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Black diamond flicklocks. Do not get the regular walking pole shims - they will collapse under heavy pressure.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, Black Diamond flick lock poles are the bees buttocks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use the Black Diamond Traverse poles skiing but would recommend getting hiking specific poles for hiking as they tend to be better shock absorbed for use on harder ground.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 BD FlickLock

I'd go for ones with an extended handle too - gives more gripping options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BD Flicklocks here too (Traverse, I think - whatever the standard model is). Used them for lots of hiking too (couldn't be bothered to remove baskets though), no problems.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ordinary_Skiier,

I've got a pair from Lidl that are OK. They are only just long enough for me, but then I am quite tall.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree, Black Diamond flick locks work well
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a pair of Black Diamond Expedition poles. They're more collapsible than the Traverse cos they're made in 3 sections, but that means there's more things to break, they're heavier, and you can't swap the top out for a whippet grip. That aside, they're great bits of kit. All black diamond poles fit the same set of interchangeable baskets and ferrules, so there's no problem getting some little mud baskets for hiking with.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the fantastic responses everyone! Looks like BD Flicklocks are pretty clear favourites in this crowd.

Smile

So far I'm considering the Expedition & Compactor models. I'm leaning toward the Compactors at this stage due to their portability and easy storage...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Leki disadvantage heavy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cynic wrote:
Leki disadvantage heavy

The Leki mechanism breaks (EVERY time we ski I have to sort my gf's leki adjustable poles out, 'cos the mechanism keeps slipping and making them shorter). The BD flicklock system is by far the most reliable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
[quote="clarky999"]
Cynic wrote:
The Leki mechanism breaks (EVERY time we ski I have to sort my gf's leki adjustable poles out, 'cos the mechanism keeps slipping and making them shorter). The BD flicklock system is by far the most reliable.

+1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The big broblem with twist-locks on a ski pole is that we tend to swing round the poles after we've planted them (especially if, like me, you have 'barn doors disease'). This has the effect of loosening the left hand pole and tightening the right.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The most fatal flaw with twist locks is that when they're frosted/iced, they can be near enough impossible to twist to lock or unlock anyway.
snow report
Walking poles and ski poles are similar only in outward appearance. Many walking poles are heavier than ski poles and also have spring loaded shock-absorber systems in them. Also, the tips are designed to be replaced more easily on walking poles as they will be used on different surfaces.

Apart from that, I'm another Black Diamond flicklock user and very happy with them. Another subtle point to note is that my black diamond poles have the markings to set the correct pole length so you can quickly and easily ensure the three sections are at the right position for your length. That's not something I've seen on walking poles
snow conditions
Walking poles ARE generally cheap and nasty. I would not use expensive Ski poles for Hiking. re the grip options ski poles Are not gripped they are swung delicately between thumb and finger. Walking poles should be gripped by the the leash in the palm looped over the back of the hand. MUCH better than actually gripping the handle! have fun Gandi
snow conditions
Differences between Ski & Walking poles noted. If the BDs turn out to be unsuited for walking I can always go back to the tried and true walking stick I've used to date:

Bamboo...

wink
ski holidays
Gandi wrote:
Walking poles ARE generally cheap and nasty.
Shocked

I paid £40 for my Lekis (and that was in a sale) so not sure how much you think expensive one should be !
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
Gandi wrote:
Walking poles ARE generally cheap and nasty.
Shocked

I paid £40 for my Lekis (and that was in a sale) so not sure how much you think expensive one should be !

They're not cheap and nasty.. There ARE cheap and nasty products of any kind.

Saying they are crap because they weren't designed as ski poles is a misleading
ski holidays
I paid a fiver for my hiking poles, considerably more for my Flicklocks but I wouldn't sully my flicklocks on UK bog, hill or heath.

To be fair I've noticed rental poles (Gipron?) that seem to have a similar closure to BDs.
latest report
They are selling the z version of the BD's as a hiking and skiing pole in outdoor shops - just bought a set with exchangeable baskets as they have a fliclock as well.

fatbob, I think those work differently but look similar. I know I've seen them 'pop' for renters on the slopes!
ski holidays
Well I've decided to get the BD Compactors.

Unfortuntately Black Diamond seems to have geographical limits in place regarding where online resellers can deliver to, so now the trick is finding one that is allowed to send their products to Hong Kong, or find a proxy order fulfillment service to relay them to me.

BD's China distributor either went out of business or fails to comprehend the need to renew internet domains and DNS hosting each year.

I've sent a query to their International info email address and await their response.

Wish me luck!
snow conditions
Decathlon £7.99 per pole upwards Smile

Have 4 poles for walking that my kids are going to use for skiing

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/F-50284-hiking-poles
ski holidays
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
Well I've decided to get the BD Compactors.

You know those aren't recommended for skiing? Stick to the Traverse if you insist on an adjustable pole.
latest report
Well after 6+ weeks of waiting I finally have a pair of the BD Compactors. Now all I need is a mountain with snow on it...

Smile
snow conditions
I bought a pair of Leki Carbon adjustable ski poles (big money but in the sale they seemed a good buy) and was disappointed to discover that its only the top 2 of the 3 sections that are carbon, and the bottom one is aluminium. Took a minor wipe out on day 2 of using them and Evil or Very Mad I now have a severely bent ski pole, guess where - yes on the bottom aluminium section, they dont retract properly now. Have had one piece scott carbon poles for years with never any issues, now invest in apair of retractables and they get bent on day 2 rolling eyes
ski holidays
Interesting thread. I have had a number of pairs of walking poles which just give up after a while - seize up, need tools and strong men to shift them, generally a PITA. Some were quite expensive, some Decathlon.

I might look at getting a pair of the ones recommended here.

By the way, NOT all walking poles (not even all expensive ones) are spring loaded.

My ski poles came with a pair of nice old wooden skis which a friend bought in a house sale for £50 and now adorn the walls of our apartments. I have been using them for 9 years and they are still fine but then my elderly style of skiing doesn't subject them to much trauma.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well so far the poles are working fine for hiking, and it looks like I'll get a chance to test them at Niseko come early Feb...

Very Happy
snow conditions
Just remembered this thread today.

So far the poles have proven their worth both in skiing and hiking. They're pretty versatile and easily packed away, which is exactly what I was after.

Thanks for your tips everybody...
latest report
Was going for BD Traverse and then found Komperdell Titanal poles with flick locks for CHF40 in sale. Excellent, powder/piste baskets, touring grips and light.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy