Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pass holder on kids jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Well the £150 Rossignol jacket my 8 year old fell in love with last winter turned up it on the tacky maxx website for a rather more reasonable £34.99 so I ordered it for her. One thing I am slightly worried about is it doesn't have a pass pocket in the sleeve (what Rossi were thinking of I don't know even Lidl jackets have that now!), what it does have is a pouch inside the hem of the jacket on the left side. Do you think that will get the rfid pass close enough to the sensor to work or would I better to send it back before she gets back from the Ex's and sees it?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davkt, Which resort(s) are you going to? Paradiski recommends the pass is on its own in the left trouser pocket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les 2 Alps this winter, Ahh I guess trouser pocket is a good way round it which will make the mini snowHead tostertalby
happy!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davkt, Trouser pocket on a kid may well be too low, you will need to try it and see. Whenever we've not had an arm pocket we've used a left breast pocket, has the jacket got one of these? Alternatively you might find some gloves with a pocket which will work well as she can just wave at the scanner.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Although if you drop said glove on a chairlift, you're b*ggered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Tip: I sew mine's pockets shut once the pass has been inserted wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Piccadilly, Yes indeed Laughing But the ones with wrist straps are good, we all have those now. I thought it was a bit uncool to keep putting my lad's gloves on an elastic through his jacket Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
musher, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, sarah has it. Left breast pocket is our preferred alternative. But we do just tell them if it doesn't work first time, instead of holding up the queue, just duck under the bar Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guess the pocket inside the left side will be about the same height as a wrist pocket looking closer so hopefully will work. Will tell her to just give the sensor a bash with her hip if it doesn't register first time!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 28-10-12 19:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher, Think mine are well enough trained not to mess with their lift passes, has been made very plain to them if they loose that they'd be spending the rest of the hol sat on their bed at the hotel. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davkt, we had a similar problem - on ebay you can get elasticated pouches which have an elastic strap and can be fixed to the upper arm of the jacket (they are used for carrying emergency details for things like cross country courses (horse riding) and also for identity passes - I usually added a stich on the underside of the arm away from where water might get in to stop them falling down and to keep them on the sleeve when the jacket is taken off - they work for smaller kids as it brings the pass to within striking distance of the scanner. A bit of tape can be added to stop the pass falling out if necessary.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One roll of gaffer tape. One helmet. A meets B. Simple.I've never known anyone lose a helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Going for the retro look then eh? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mind you these look useful

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phubby-Phone-Cubby-Wrist-Arm-Wallet-Cell-Phone-Ipod-MP3-Holder-Elastic-/251139186899?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a790fe0d3

These are the sort of thing that I bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIA-ID-Oyster-Security-Clear-Vinyl-Ski-Pass-Vertical-Arm-Band-Badge-Holder-/190733292720?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Supply_Security_Equipment_ET&hash=item2c689714b0
snow report
Google
medical armband cross country

and check out the images in the search results for others - I imagine most could be adapted.

Medical armband

into ebay is the term that finds them!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 28-10-12 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
sarah, my gloves have leashes too! Wouldn't be without them.
snow conditions
davkt,

Looking at a jacket without a pass pocket at the Birmingham Ski & Board Show today my wife said she could build a pocket in to the lining of the sleeve. If you havn't got the skills or a 'female' friend with the skills your alterations and mend shop should be able to manage something.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Piccadilly, ditto I prefer leashes on my gloves too!
ski holidays
Chris Wood741, TBH - I am amazed any jacket manufacturer leaving out such a useful function on any ski jacket - clearly it harks back to the days of passes on elastic around necks, but has to be a significant design flaw in any modern jacket I should think.
snow report
sarah, with young kids function very often out-does form
ski holidays
It's not a design flaw - an RFID pass will work in any left hand pocket FFS. I usually wear mine in a fleece chest pocket i.e. under an additional layer of jacket.
latest report
There are gloves with pockets which can be a good solution. Just put them on a leash so that not to drop. Trouser pocket also may work well, modern sensors are quite sensitive. In my new jacket the pass pocket is high on a shoulder, quite above the sensor, but I don't need to bend for it to work.
snow conditions
What is wrong with taping it to their helmet as Monium suggested, it is likely to be at the correct height for the reader.
snow conditions
Just wrote this somewhere else so please excuse the copy and paste!

We average about 50 days each per season, have 2 kids and have done 6 consecutive seasons with electronic passes accross Salzburgerland, Steirmarkt and Upper Austria.

Keep the pass in the left hand jacket (breast, sleeve or hand) or trouser pocket with no other clutter and any other electronics on your right.

A quick twist of the hip, or just a tincy bit of patience and you will be fine!
ski holidays
Thanks all, The pass in wrist pocket worked fine for her last year so I guess the one inside the jacket at about the same height will be fine.
snow report
Megamum,

None of the canadian or NA resorts I have been to have automatic pass thingeys gates . All passes are manully zapped with hand held machine by lifties; season passes they seem to come up with names and pictures to compare.

So my guess is that the NA jackets may not feature such functions. We attach ours to rings to outside of jacket or to rings and then have to get it out of pocket. C'est la vie. Also quite a few day passes are sold through cost co and these are paper
ski holidays
gryphea wrote:
Megamum, None of the canadian or NA resorts I have been to have automatic pass thingeys gates . All passes are manully zapped with hand held machine by lifties; season passes they seem to come up with names and pictures to compare.....
How very quaint Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, depends how tall she is. She may have to jump up and down a bit if she's a short@rse.
ski holidays
This might be one solution http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3697940.stm but it appears a bit over the top. Imagine if you go to different resorts quite frequently and end up with an arm full of chips.

Does any one know how these lift pass systems work? The rfid bit is fairly straightforward but the IT bit once the card data has been read. Like gryphea, I have been fascinated to see the picture of the season pass holder flash up instantly in the booth when they enter the lift. SO my questions are:

Does your lift pass contain only an ID code and everything else is done at the lift station computer?
Are the lift stations merely "dumb terminnals" transmitting everything to a central mainframe where all the authorisation is given.
Are the lift stations updated on a daily basis then work autonomously?
Is every thing, including the season pass photograph held on the rfid tab and the lift station only says "yes" or "no" to access?

I imagine it is the last one but I am curious.
snow report
johnE, ask SKIDATA ... I'm sure they'll know!
snow report
Lizzard, Fairly average 8 1/2 year old height so given a bit of growth guess it'll be about the same height as last years wrist pocket with a bit of growth by next Easter
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy