Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please for Ski Schools in BC Canada-Jasper, L Louise, Banff

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,
Well I'm on my second ski trip after a very long break so I'm at low intermediate level I would say and I need some advice as I'm being adventurous and going to Canada spending 4 days in Jasper (can I assume nearest slopes are Marmot Basin?), then 4 days in Lake Louise and 4 days in Banff. So my questions are:

What are the names of the Ski Schools in each area and where are they based i.e. which mountain base?
How long does it take to get to the school from each town?
Is there only 1 ski school in each area?
Do they have ski hire/lockers nearby to save transporting items each day.
Grateful for any insider info, thank you. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NEWSKIER, Never been to Jasper but spent 10 days in Banff a few years ago skiing LL, Sunshine and Norquay. There's just one school in each I think plus you can do the Club Ski which is a day of lessons in each. I think there are lockers at LL and Sunshine can't remember about Norquay. http://www.skibig3.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, I know nothing about Jasper sorry.
As for Lake Louise/Sunshine and Mt Norquay there are ski schools on each whose names I can't remember, again sorry, what I do remember however is that you could get a "club ski" arrangement where you get tuition for your level one day each at the three areas, this worked well for my group, we all learned a lot. It was a handy way of getting to know the areas of the mountain where we could feel comfortable in our own ability and practice what we had learned in the lessons. This was the most economical way to get lessons too.
There were lockers available but we didn't use them as we decided which area to ski based on conditions, choosing Mt Norquay on days we expected other areas to be really busy, Sunshine when we expected bluebird days and Lake Louise if there was poor visability or wind so we could make use of the tree lined runs.
We liked all three areas for differing reasons, Mt Norquay for its small area friendliness, Sunshine for being wide open and easy to ski differing level pistes off the same lift without losing sight of the group and Lake Louise for its vast choice and twisty runs through the trees.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you very much for that will check out the web address and start to get myself organised lessons wise.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lilywhite, thank you also its looking like the club ski option would definitely be a good idea, and as both you and Colin B have said at least I will get to experience all areas that way.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I ended up having an instructor to myself the first day! Brilliant as a private lesson would have been hundreds of dollars.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing at Jasper is Marmot Basin, and I suspect you'll find only they offer lessons. The Banff area ski schools are covered above, but I would ask if you've already booked a three centre trip, or if it's worth reconsdering the idea of 4 days at Lake Louise followed by 4 in Banff - if you go for 8 days in Banff, you'll avoid another hotel move, but still be able to ski LL if you wish.

If you want to do the Club Ski thing, then you need either to be based in Banff (for the buses) or have a car. Staying in Lake Louise is convenient only for LL - good though that is - and I believe there is limited nightlife, although we've never stayed there (Banff three times and Canmore last season).

We used the Big3 school for our son quite a few times and our experience has been unwaveringly good, although I can't comment on the adult lessons. Last season we used the Sunshine school and feel equally positive about that - for instance when he was the only person attending a 'black runners' session, rather than insisting on combining with a lower ability group, he had the option of an effectively private lesson because they had agreed to provide a lesson for his ability.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yellow Pyranha, my apologies for very belated thank you for info plenty of food for thought, I will base myself in Banff to do the Ski Club thing and will take onboard the transport issue, and may just do a couple of days independent skiing at LL. Either way I'm really looking forward to it now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NEWSKIER, the Club lessons do include a day at LL, in each three day program. One thing we intended to do this year until I fell painfully and tangled myself up in the safety netting was the 'first tracks' at Louise, but I don't think there's a bus from Banff early enough for that. Last year someone recommended getting ski passes from American Ski Classics, for our family of three doing this saved about £200 on buying in Banff, although part of that was a free ticket for our son. Good to see lilywhite had a similar experience to us with a small class!

I see there's not been much comment about Jasper - we spent a fortnight there a few years ago, and really liked it - and the ski area has expanded since then.

Are you travelling on a package, or independently? If independently, are you flying into Calgary and bussing to Jasper? It's a long way. If you are planning to bus around, do compare the price with the cost of car rental. You may be surprised.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check out liftopia for cheaper passes too but be careful, some of the locals tickets are resort specific, if you get one of them you then have to pay extra to ski the other areas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NEWSKIER,

I can strongly recommend the Club Ski programme. I did it when I was a NEWSKIER, and for several years thereafter, and it really improved my skiing.

The first time I did the programme I was staying at LL and there wasn't a problem with getting a bus in the morning from LL to Banff or Sunshine for the two days of the programme on those hills, but that was back in the day, when the bus service was extremely good. It may not be so good now, so being based in Banff is a big advantage. (Also, there's a lot more to do in Banff than in LL).

The trip to Jasper from Banff is spectacular, as it goes up the Icefields Parkway, and you get great views of the glaciers.

You can get lessons at Jasper by signing up at the ski school office up at the ski hill (Marmot Basin) on the day. Jasper's a great little hill for beginner/intermediate skiers, and it's where I went for my second ski trip, and I found it a very good place to progress.

All the day lodges (Banff, LL, SV and Jasper) had small coin-op lockers thgat you could keep boots/back-packs in. I know that some of them also had ski lockers, but I don't know if these were rentable by the day. - If you're going to return to the same place the next day, there's a ski storage service, though (or there used to be: I'd be surprised if it's disappeared).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy