Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Improvement in boots technology over last 20 years

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Tecnica boots which I bought 20 years ago are falling apart though they have only seen about 25 weeks of skiing plus some visits to Indoor Ski Slopes. When I bought them it was not long after so called rear entry boots mainly made by Salomon and Nordica had gone out of fashion.
I'm wondering what I can expect out of new boots. It used to be that you bought them , chucked away the insole and had a conformable one put in -and some went one step further and had them foamed.
Now I know that it is a "how long is a piece of string question" but how much is a sensible price to pay for boots? My main sport is tennis and you wouldn't expect much from a £50 racquet but once you get past £150 imo any improvement is marginal.
For what it's worth I'm not as fast a skier as I once was but can do anything on or off piste except very steep and very icy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look for a boot to suit your skiing style and ability and buy them if they fit and are comfortable and not because they are a certain colour or have some magic dust in them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or if tight, buy from a skier of similar abuility foot size and shape who changes more frequently.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
25 weeks of skiing plus indoor is quite a bit, plus plastic ages so now wonder your boots are falling apart after 20 years. Try loads and find ones that fit well and comfortable, snug but not too tight. Check the shell fit too - pull out a liner, put your bare foot on so that toes are touching the front and see that the space at the back is about 1/2 inch. Prices may vary and will depend on the type of boot you find to your liking. There is no such thing as "sensible" price. What is sensible to one person may be not so for another one. Also, since boots are an important piece of equipment people may pay a price that doesn't seem sensible even to them, particularly when they have "difficult" feet. You can go straight to a bootfitter and let him work with you. tell him which boots you were in nd he may select something with a similar characteristics and within your price range. Bootfitters usually give some sort or warranty so if something is wrong you bring the boots back for work to be done. You can also rent in resort and if you like the pair after skiing in it, you can search this model and size on sales and ebay. You still can change the insole if you need it and you can even get them foamed at Surefoot. Or get custom liners like ZipFits. I haven't been skiing for 20 years but looks like not much has changed in this respect:)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy