Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your input on my new ski blog website please....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all I have started a new ski blog called www.the-73.com the idea behind the blog is to get advice, hints,tips, adventure stories and anything that you may find interesting to the general public...
Articles are written by myself and colleagues who are heavily involved in the ski world

I was wondering if there was any stories or articles you would like to be written or anything that you would like an insight into...

I would greatly appreciate any input that you have....

Thanks

Bw
www.the-73.com
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good.

Crit:
- The menu bar at the top is inconsistent between pages. Most glaringly some pages say 'author' whilst others say 'contributor'.
- Change 'cool photos' to something less cringe worthy probably just remove the adjective.
- You might want to do a bit more editorial work on the pieces put up currently. For example the first one I clicked on was:
http://www.the-73.com/2012/10/the-best-diet-for-skiing/
- The blog's been written with the style and panache of a drill instructor or technical document writer.
- The first 'Conclusion' section right after the Introduction is confusing and serves no purpose. This looks like a C&P error?
- There are numerous formatting errors.
- The article is much too long, takes too long to get going and the advice at the end is succinct. Why is the article so long?

All in all it's okay but the writing needs to be much tighter and the editing is terrible. Long articles can be broken down into several different pieces tackling things in increasing depth for example. This one would be better off titled "What should I eat for a quick ski lunch?" and describe in 500-800 words what that is and a brief explanation of why. You can then follow up weekly on other aspects of diet with the same author and hope he gets a bit better at writing than Martin Brundle did at TV presenting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.the-73.com/2012/10/courchevel-couloir-experience/

This is just a badly written, badly edited, badly formatted advert with a blurry photograph doing no favours to anyone. You can embed video in web pages in the 21st Century.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.the-73.com/2012/10/eurotest-training-course/

Did anyone preview this at all? Looks like crap in Firefox with the picture and text extending into the left hand menu. Horribly written.

"A problem which stops many of the people that want to become a fully qualified ski instructor and prevents them from earning the best wages for a ski instructor is the Eurotest."

Should be something like:

"The Eurotest is a technical test of skill on a race course that prevents many people from attaining the highest level of ski instructing qualification."
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.the-73.com/2012/10/dry-land-training-for-snowsports/

Did someone hit the previous author over the head and steal his business? This is nicely written and to the point. Would be better with some editing to correct some very basic mistakes like the lack of capitals where there should be some. Again though the end reads like an advert, is the point of this blog to get a following itself or just feed traffic off to other people? This would be a nice intro into a series that explores each section and why you should follow the general advice given.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyway I'll stop now. You need to find someone with a good english language background to do basic grammar, spelling and formatting most urgently. Other than that get people to write less and sound less like they're plugging themselves as opposed to imparting good info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So glad I didn't have meh as a schoolteacher Skullie

Bgw, it's got the makings of a good blog but you do need someone to do some proofreading and editing.

Good luck. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
miranda, I got sucked in and couldn't help myself. Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the feedback! We are not expecting to be perfect straight away so I appreciate the time you have taken to look at the site. We will look into is using an editor that has a strong English background to review blogs before they are posted.

I don't think it's fair to expect those that have become experts in the ski field to also be great writers, so I think the onus is on us to make the articles grammatically stronger and going forward this is what will happen. meh if you are interested in doing some editing work then please send me a message.

All feedback is welcomed so miranda and meh thank you for your help so far Little Angel

Bgw
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Point has kind of been made above, but I had a quick flick through the touring article you wrote, Bgw, and found it pretty interesting. I'm not a regular blog reader so probably not target audience, but I'd have liked a bit more detail on some of the asides you threw in...like how weird is it to tour in race boots and does it hurt going up, how did you arrange the hut and how come there was no electricity (is that common)? Comes down in some ways to writing style as mentioned above - make sure you think about your target audience and what you think they want to know...are they just looking for stoke (then more description of the descent needed), are they going to think about following you (more practicalities & tips), or are they experts and have seen it all before (in which case you just want a short punchy piece that picks out anything unusual...maybe what you were aiming for).

Admittedly you might be leaving it light on detail on purpose, to draw people into commenting to find out more...if so ignore the above wink

Also you need to check how to spell crevasse...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with meh, You need to employ someone who knows how to write.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
Agree with meh, You need to employ someone who knows how to write.

+1

...and he looks like he's found a proof-reader in the form of meh.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sadly I was just bored with a glass of wine waiting for my girlfriend to get ready. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy