Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Ski & Snowboard Show 2012 NEC

Poster: A snowHead
I didn't attend this year because I'm going to the London show on Wednesday.

But I went to Birmingham last year and had a thoroughly enjoyble day.

I met a great number of passionate, interesting people from all over the ski world who were more than willing to share their opinons and experiences. Not unlike on this forum.

And whilst the resort and manufacturers websites are great, it's face to face time and asking the right questions on forums such as this that gets you the information you're looking for, and sometimes the deals.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Montblancskier wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., I think its more about the fact that Divers in general are much more likely to get up of their back bottom and support an event like this, thus there are more exhibitors, more DEALS, sorry will re-empathise that for those who only want DEALS to be had. Instead of sitting on their hands and then joyfully moaning about it instead of doing anything about it.

I read this old fashioned, clonky forum regularly and very rarely find anyone being positive or trying to do anything for the UK Ski Industry. Put your own houses in order first!!

As a diver, I can confirm that the UK diving industry has been in decline for some years, with less and less retailers surviving, and those that do aren't going to the shows any more. The kind of feedback here reflects the kind of feedback many experienced divers have about the dive shows - it doesn't surprise me, but the model is frankly miles out of date.

With the internet, if a shop wants to compete they are much wiser to spend their money on their website and offering a good level of service for a competitive price. That, typically, wins in the current market.

Unfortunately the show organisers are charging thousands of pounds to get exhibitors in, charging customers to get in the door, and that mix is having the effect we can predict - less customers, less exhibitors, as a result less sales and less incentive for both parties. What needs to happen is that you need to get more people in, usually by making it free to get in, and by offering something a bit more compelling than "come and see the same stuff you can see at every store up and down the country"

Frankly a forum which organises trips with 100+ skiiers more than three times a year is doing more for the UK ski industry than the UK industry is doing for itself. The amount of new equipment, bought in the UK, sessions at snowdomes, happening in the UK, and training and coaching, done in the UK, is staggering when you meet people who are on these things. And that's just the effect from the trips organised here. But if you are struggling with an old fashioned, clonky forum there are plenty of fancy websites with all the software but none of the activity. Feel free to design something better, and see if you can convince any of us to come and play on your website instead.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Monium, Well said.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="Monium"]
Montblancskier wrote:

Frankly a forum which organises trips with 100+ skiiers more than three times a year is doing more for the UK ski industry than the UK industry is doing for itself. The amount of new equipment, bought in the UK, sessions at snowdomes, happening in the UK, and training and coaching, done in the UK, is staggering when you meet people who are on these things. And that's just the effect from the trips organised here. But if you are struggling with an old fashioned, clonky forum there are plenty of fancy websites with all the software but none of the activity. Feel free to design something better, and see if you can convince any of us to come and play on your website instead.

well said!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No point me advertising my chalet here then as you lot aren't interested in what I have to offer rather go on a trip that puts cash into the pocket of an appartment owner in Europe
Quote:

Frankly a forum which organises trips with 100+ skiiers more than three times a year is doing more for the UK ski industry than the UK industry is doing for itself

and not even be concerned the trips are not ABTA or ATOL bonded thus no security and totally undermining professionally minded operators
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And on that note my membership is cancelled and I will advice all the other small independents I know to do the same!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Membership of ATOL and ABTA?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Montblancskier wrote:
And on that note my membership is cancelled and I will advice all the other small independents I know to do the same!!!

You'll not be missed, don't let the door hit you on the backside on the way out.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montblancskier, Did you exhibit at the show ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gets even better they don't even let you terminate your membership or if they do they bury it so deep you can't be arsed to look for it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.., No I was out of the country for two of the three days but have already made enquiries into next years show
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Montblancskier wrote:

I've got the perfect customer for you - her name is pandora, although presumably you won't now take the referral.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Montblancskier, despite all this I'm sure admin will be the first to say that if you want to reconsider and contribute here with an open mind (and perhaps a bit more knowledge of what goes on here) you'll still be more than welcome.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
. The SoPi bash in Serre Chevalier was booked through Ski Miquel who are members of ATOL. Some of the hotels stayed in for other bashes were booked through TOs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, Laughing
latest report
Montblancskier wrote:
Standee, No I am 6' 3" have played at Centre for a number of semi pro rugby clubs and happy to meet you in a dark alley one night!!

Boooooow, this isn't a dating site you know but let me know how your date goes.

I think Montblanc should wear a red rose in his lapel if you are meeting down a dark alley to avoid any embarrasing episodes.
ski holidays
Quote:

No point me advertising my chalet here then as you lot aren't interested in what I have to offer rather go on a trip that puts cash into the pocket of an appartment owner in Europe

You are clearly having a bad day, or perhaps year. However I'll let that pass.

How do you know that any number of snowHead haven't already used your chalet? As we are all snowsports enthusiasts and pay our hard (or in some cases not hard) earned money to various tour operators, chalet owners, transport providers, ski-hire companies, ski-schools. Not counting the fact that we all as already pointed out, spend what is probably a considerable amount of money on equipment, surely that is contributing to the ski industry as a whole?

As for the 'moaning', human nature but I saw the majority of the comments as negative comments about the show. If I had stayed in your chalet, which I have no doubt is luxurious, well appointed and well serviced by you and your team and had a bad experience I would hardly leave a review saying "The toilets were lovely and clean" as it doesn't give an indicative perception (and perception is after all down the to the individual) of my experience does it?

Scratch that, I am now not going to ever leave a bad review, I'll just write "The toilets were lovely and clean" it'll sweep through the internet review site and forums like wildfire, consider it the new "my bad" equivalent of reviews.
ski holidays
ansta1,

Just like "attendance reasonable, sick leave acceptable, timekeeping average..." Toofy Grin

I'll pass that on to Mrs M - she is always looking for something positive to say however dire a place is.
snow conditions
Montblancskier wrote:

You seem to be ignorant of the large number of people who do put their chalets on here. Amongst other things.
latest report
Perhaps NIXMAP hasn't found anyone to run his chalet and decided to rent it out through a sock puppet?
snow report
bobmcstuff wrote:

You seem to be ignorant of the large number of people who do put their chalets on here. Amongst other things.

+ the very positive and supportive unsolicited endorsement that some members of the "UK ski industry" get through the experience of sHs + members of the UK ski industry who manage to engage very positively and successfully with the "whingers and moaners" here.
snow conditions
having been to the ski-show in london every year for ages, i gave the NEC a try last saturday. what a disappointment. the whole thing seemed very dismal to me. i tried to buy a pair of rossignol boots but the guy on the stand said it was display only and i would have to go a rossignol stockist. so not wanting to come away empty handed, i thought i'd buy a plain, white, cotton roll-neck, with or without a zip, but there wasn't one in the whole place. i did however, buy a ham roll...for £5.50.
ski holidays
I have no idea how people like Montblancskier manage to so thoroughly shoot themselves in the foot. Maybe it's indicative of the problems with the "UK Ski Industry"* that he seems to think customers should be catering to it rather than the other way around.

* - I'm not particularly sure what the problems might be but from the people I've met and the guys who run businesses and post on here it seems to be going pretty well.
latest report
On a completely unrelated note perhaps its time for the death of the 'ski show' and the revitalisation of the 'film festival' or something. Very Happy
snow report
anyway a bit of minor detective work presents me with this:

Quote:

Montblancskier

Ignore this (silly old) snowHead:
Montblancskier
user
Posts: 27 I used to work there as part of the dmg organising team we used sell over 50,000 full price tickets in 10 days there were great days!!! oh hum

So not quite the objective punter when it comes to these matters,

Anyone want to take bets on whether Montblancskier is acquaninted with Mr Keith, late of this parish? His grasp of the English language and what this forum is for seem similarly tenuous.
ski holidays
fatbob, I'd bet my apartment he's acquainted
snow conditions
Hells Bells, what you doing on here? as UK based chalet owner surely this forum cannot be good for business with all us moaners and whingers about?

BTW how clean are your toilets as I wouldn't want to leave an inappropriate review if I ever stayed there?

Gotta love this place!
snow report
One other thing I noticed at the ski show is just how outdated and rundown the NEC looks, then when you get inside the show matched up to the first impression
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the subject of Mr K - anyone lucky enough to witness the glamour & prestige of the Snivel awards yesterday? That I would have paid to see.
snow conditions
Montblancskier, do you think you could tell us which is your chalet? It's just if you treat your customers and the general public the way you've treated us, we need to make sure we never end up there. It seems unlikely, because SH provides all the ski holidays I could ever need, but worth knowing just in case you decide to try and "meet me down a dark alley" in response to anything other than glowing reviews.
ski holidays
have to say this thread doesn't exactly make me want to engage with the UK Ski Industry any more than I do currently
snow report
Arno wrote:
have to say this thread doesn't exactly make me want to engage with the UK Ski Industry any more than I do currently

well thanks for the vote of confidence
snow report
CEM, I'm sure no-one could tar you with the same brush that Montblancskier has painted himself with.
ski holidays
meh wrote:
I have no idea how people like Montblancskier manage to so thoroughly shoot themselves in the foot. Maybe it's indicative of the problems with the "UK Ski Industry"* that he seems to think customers should be catering to it rather than the other way around.
Fair point. It's not often that someone turns up here and delivers a flurry of misjudged, imbalanced comments that dig a hole for the poster at quite such a pace as we've seen here. Generally, it indicates disingenuity, as someone who tells the truth doesn't usually have trouble getting his facts to marry up believably.
I felt the posts of Montblancskier had that dishonest air to them - so I had a little rummage in the Hamsters' lockers and er... well it's all quite indisputable Wink
[edit: I see fatbob has been making his own deductions in the meantime Laughing ]

Can anyone remember someone digging a hole for himself like this in the past rolling eyes
Poor chap: his topics never seem to go the way he wants them to Sad

Montblancskier wrote:
Standee, No I am 6' 3" have played at Centre for a number of semi pro rugby clubs and happy to meet you in a dark alley one night!!
Ha ha HAAAA! U little liar! You're nowhere near 6'3 - closer to 5'3 I'd say!
Montblancskier wrote:
No point me advertising my chalet here
Laughing No, I think you'd better not! With your 'way with people' it could only go wrong and anyway, I know for a fact that U don't own a chalet!
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
Montblancskier, Did you exhibit at the show ?

Montblancskier wrote:
AndAnotherThing.., No I was out of the country for two of the three days but have already made enquiries into next years show
Er... You were on your stand all 3 days. Funny, how the smell of crap got stronger as one came out of the toilets spoo

Montblancskier wrote:
I support the UK industry and will continue to do so
If that's what you call wringing a few quid out of smaller ops that don't know any better than to advertise on a site with no audience, when they desperately need to put their money to much better use, then "way to go" you ol' ski-Philanthropist, you.

Quote:
But if you are struggling with an old fashioned, clonky forum there are plenty of fancy websites with all the software but none of the activity. Feel free to design something better, and see if you can convince any of us to come and play on your website instead.
I think you might find he's already tried that Laughing

When Shakespeare almost wrote:

that which we call a a poo-poo
By any other name would smell as bad.
what I think he was trying to say is, someone with a tendency to lie indiscriminately for short term gain is going to get themselves into trouble whatever they call their socks.

On the whole, the people I've met in the ski industry are hard working and honest. If there's a common fault, I'd say it's simply that a few too many have become too [necessarily?] preoccupied with making a living to find the time to have the fun that brought them into the business in the first place.
However... in every field U will find a shyster or two. Fortunately though, snowHeads has an uncanny way of showing them up for what they are Laughing
snow report
CEM, I engage with you from time to time (ahem) and I'm not planning on changing that Little Angel
latest report
admin, snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing
latest report
ansta1 wrote:
Hells Bells, what you doing on here? as UK based chalet owner surely this forum cannot be good for business with all us moaners and whingers about?

BTW how clean are your toilets as I wouldn't want to leave an inappropriate review if I ever stayed there?

Gotta love this place!

If you want to find out, you will have to go and stay there Laughing
snow report
Arno wrote:
CEM, I engage with you from time to time (ahem) and I'm not planning on changing that Little Angel

Me either in fact I did just that today!
snow conditions
I think the word for Montblancskier is searching for is "owned"

what a laughable individual.
ski holidays
admin, Laughing U do have a way with words,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy