Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow Chains for Mercedes C Class Coupe

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure wheteher this is the right section or not! Has anyone any experience of using chains on a coupe with 225/45/17 tyres. My manual states that you can't fit chains on it but the dealer recommends a Rudmatic Disc at £350 Sad .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think that's the same size tyres as my Laguna. I use Spikes Spider Sport which are a bit cheaper than the Rudmatic chains you were recommended (although still pretty expensive compared to 'normal' chains). Might be worth finding out if the Spikes Spiders will fit your Mercedes.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 10-10-05 19:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Colin B, It may be worth contacting this company. They do list your tyre/wheel size in Rud, but also do the Spider and the Autosock.
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/snowhome.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pewag should have that size, see here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys. I think I'll investigate some of the hire options on these sites as I'm probably going to be changing the car next year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B, Roofbox, do an exchange scheme for Rud chains Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, 2nd Vote for Roofbox!

It may well be worth making a call to the Roofbox Co. They are normally very knowledgeable about non-designated makes/models. I purchased RUD Centrax for a similar non-designated size. My problem was having adequate wheel lock clearance with a standard chain. RUD centrax does not have a chain on the inside of the tyre and so it was possible to use the full wheel lock travel without risking damage to the vehicle.

Be a Very Happy snowHead !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like a call to Roofbox tomorrow is in order. Thanks.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We did this last year as well, here

The summary seems to be the tests come out badly for the fast fit chains like Spiders and Centrax. Personally, I've had Centrax and, when I used them, they were fine, I guess it depends how much extra traction you need, the were enough for me.

I need new ones and the Pewag Sportmatik looks good to me, I also need low profiles although my winter tyres are only 215/50R17 (vs summer 215/45R18)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, same size as my Laguna too, not buying chains yet though, as we may have a Nissan X-trail by then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, I have a suspicion that a Rud matic disc is actually spikes spiders re-badged! Spiders are Swiss manafactured and are reccomended for high performance cars with 'Do not fit chains' advice!
However;

I have just been given a set of spiders for my 4x4 Jaguar with 18 inch wheels, and the spiders are still a snug fit Shocked

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 10-10-05 21:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ise wrote:
The summary seems to be the tests come out badly for the fast fit chains like Spiders and Centrax. Personally, I've had Centrax and, when I used them, they were fine, I guess it depends how much extra traction you need, the were enough for me

Although I've not used them extensively, the Spider Sport have been OK for me, including one very bad journey from BSM up to Arc 1800 when there were lots of cars failing to get up the hill.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk, yes, I think there's a flaw in the tests, I've asked TCS for the full test report. It may well be true that, say, the Sportmatik has more traction than the Spider, however, it's a totally moot point if the Spider is going to be enough. It's not like tyres where I want all the traction or grip it's possible to deliver.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, yes, a measurable difference in a test setting might not actually have any bearing on the use of the chains in the real world. Which version of the Spikes Spider did they test? There is a big difference between the 'Sport' and the 'Compact' versions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
ise, yes, a measurable difference in a test setting might not actually have any bearing on the use of the chains in the real world. Which version of the Spikes Spider did they test? There is a big difference between the 'Sport' and the 'Compact' versions.

There is also a difference in the space needed to carry them! They are not exacltly flat or slim when not in use.
snow report
boredsurfin, unfortunately that's very true Sad

At least when you've bought a place out there you won't be carrying lots of stuff back and forth, so plenty of room for overly large chains Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy