Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things to focus on this season..............

Poster: A snowHead
The recent threads have a caused a decision to coalesce in my mind, that is things to concentrate on the this year.

I've got two weeks. The first week is going to be a fun week where I shall practise general ski-y things and drills that I've done in previous lessons - I might try to get the one legged skiing going too.

The second week I shall deem my boot-camp week. I'm hoping that lessons will be available and I am going to join the group ski school that I hope will run for 3 sessions as previously and then - how about this.................I think I am ready for bumps!! I shall try whatever is on offer for introduction to moguls. If anyone between now and late season 2013 sees me ski, and thinks that this might be slightly foolish personal exagerration of my current skills, then for my own safety please educate me!! Though I kind of hope an instructor would tell me at the time if they thought that bumps were beyond me. What would be useful might be to know on flat pistes is what I could practise in the first week to ultimately help with bumps.

What is everyone else going to focus on?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well:

At the PSB in Tignes I've a 3 hour private lesson booked on steep, rough off piste after my disaster on Chalance last Easter. I suspect it's something pretty fundamental (I kept being thrown into the back seat).

I'm booking a 3 hour private mogul session for my daughter at Alpe D'Huez at half term, this is prep for her BASI2 (which wont be until 2014). I'll tag along, embarrass myself and see what I can get out of it.

I'll concentrate on points coming out of those during those trips and at Easter. I'll get my daughter to keep her eye on me and tell me when I'm going wrong Embarassed I still do it with her as she has a tendency to ski with her legs too close together and even I can spot that Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, maybe practise short radius turns on a smooth piste before the bumps; an instructor might do that first with you anyway.

As for me:

January; cruising round the Dolomites
February; deep powder in Utah, hopefully
March; usual lessons in Megève - mainly off piste with a bit of GS training leading to a race.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Praying to Ullr.

I definitely won't be trying to do any one legged skiing now or ever. It's a bollux instructor ego thing IMV, yes it shows balance and control but as a practical skill fairly limited and the chances of injury in a fall much higher I think.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgot I've also got 9 hours of group lessons at the PSB with Tarquin, Eeyore, holidayloverxx and simon perry as usual. We have a bl**dy good laugh on that and hopefully will learn something too Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To prepare for moguls practise pivot slips and short turns down the fall line. Also you can start getting a feel for bumps by simply crossing bumpy areas that can be found sometimes between pistes without turning. Focus on maintaining constant speed you are comfortable at and try absorbing bumps with your legs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Skiing bumps isn't much more than short swings with well timed absorption.

And a couple of little things thrown in to make it work more efficiently.

So, the absorption element is a skill that all skiers could employ usefully.

No decent instructor is going to try and get you zlining a competition bumps course. I'd expect they'd work on continuing evolution of basic skilss with more emphasis on absorbing th ebumps that you encounter everywhere - and possibly introducing the use of them to help you turn, a very useful capability at the end of the season when you are tired and it's all gone mushy.

Just re-read your Op. Although there is generally too much grooming done these days, IMO, lumps and bumps do build up during the day.

Cnsider each bump as a. Something to absorb so that your upper body doesn't move vertically as you go over the bump. Quiet upper body is a real signature of an accomplished skier.

B. An opportinuity to make an effortless turn.

You may want to look up avalament turn for more detailed instructions.

But once you can turn properly on one bump, what 's stopping you from doing the same think in linked succession?

We expect video...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hopefully getting sorted out by Easiski to get rid of bad habits before going off piste on January, then back to L2A with kids at Easter for the youngest to go to Charlotte's Hottots again, her big sister get even better on her snowboard and me to have a potter around.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be focussing on not b#ggering my other knee whilst also focussing on not re-b#ggering the knee I b#ggered last time!

B#gger me, might have put too many b#ggers in there! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B wrote:
Forgot I've also got 9 hours of group lessons at the PSB with Tarquin, Eeyore, holidayloverxx and simon perry as usual. We have a bl**dy good laugh on that and hopefully will learn something too Very Happy
This reminded me - I'm still waiting on Tall Tone's timetabling.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, 9 hours of group lessons sounds a bit of boot camp to me, mind you with the people on the same course you should, as you state, have a blast - enjoy.

davkt, I haven't met her, but I know Easiski has a great reputation - hope you all learn loads

laundryman, Hope you enjoy your lessons, you already sound an accomplished skier so I hope you get out of them what you hope for.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
never summer, I had a very useful lesson in Les Arcs where they taught me to do very short turns down the very edge of a red piste in order to find the only skiable snow that was around that year ('sheer' in the middle of the piste was the understatement of the year due to lack of snow) - I know I can still do these as I've used them lots of times (damn good thing to learn IMV - he even had me doing them with poles balanced across my wrists in front of me) hopefully those are the sort of turns which should help.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, it should help and is a good place to start. Do lots and lots of pivot slips too to get comfortable with both feet working simutaneously. You want to avoid the situation when one of your feet is on top of a bump and the other one is in a trough. If you want to do moguls you will definitely get there and once you can do them everything will get much easier. I was told once that 'It's not that you can't ski moguls it's that you can't ski and moguls are there to show it'. But they are not beyond our capabilities. Don't attempt too much too soon, gradually extend your comfort zone and be patient because it does take time. With instruction and practice you will feel yourself when you ready to go bigger and steeper. Motivation is the key and you seem very enthusiastic, which is very good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, a 3hour private is a long time, past 90 minutes you will have supervised practice... How about two shorter sessions each with a different focus...

one foot skiing is a good way to work on balance and control, if you can ski on one foot you will rarely fall when a ski breaks away, you hit ice, in the bumps etc....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, thank you. I've got loads to improve upon. Not looking forward to the stage when there's no improvement - which will be down to age rather than perfection!
latest report
9 hours? I'm down for 3x2hrs and a bumps session. I definitely need something to get me doing the bumps (and steeps) "correctly".

And I do the 1ft skiing quite a lot. Unfortunately, can only really do it well on left leg.
snow report
skimottaret, I know but it's 2 or 3 and 2 costs nearly as much.

andy, Booked with TDC as we have for several years now preceding the PCB. Although it might only be 6, I'll have to check my emails.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy