Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

KJUS Jackets

Poster: A snowHead
I was browsing Snow and Rock the other day whilst waiting for bindings to be fitted. I picked a jacket from the rail (not that I needed a jacket) and thought "that's quite nice" and looked at the price tag. "Hmmm, £140, that quite reasonable" and I was just putting it back when I realised I'd missed out a zero.

£1400 !!!

Do they come with an endless supply of gluwein and your own personal guide ? Who the hell pays that sort of money for a jacket. An it isn't unique. A quick browse of the S&R website reveals that there are several > £1000.

I have a very well paid job but I'd have to be on treble what I'm on now to even consider that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And why would you when you can buy a perfectly good jacket for 10% of that price or less. For label snobs with more money than they know what to do with only. Personally I'd only spend around £60 on a jacket as I tend to get bored of it and fancy a change every couple of years.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know exactly who would.... On holiday a couple of years ago (in a certain high end French resort) there was a family with seven kids. Every night they all came down for dinner in branded stuff - Joules, Jack Wills, etc. The mother had a different ski jacket every day and the dad bought himself a new Bogner jacket while they were there.

I was gobsmacked.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've told this story before.

When I was in Zermatt sporting my top of the range Halti coat (70 quid from TK-Maxx) I saw a bloke in town wearing the same jacket. So I sort of go 'hey, check it out, we're "jacket cousins"' or something like that and without missing a beat he says:

"How much did you pay for that?"

Bit familiar I thought, but a straight question deserves a straight answer so I say 'I picked it up for 70 quid in TK Maxx in Brighton'.

His face sank like the Titanic and he mumbled 'I nearly had to remortgage the house for mine'. He then had an argument with his wife (who had bought it for him, in some boutiquey shop in Zermatt, as a gift) questioning whether she was telling the truth about how much it cost. "This bloke says he got his for 70 quid, how did mine cost six hundred?' etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ridiculous isn't it. I can't stand people who are brand snobs, and I just love seeing people with good value equipment/clothing thrashing the 'all the gear no idea' bunch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Piehole, classic Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dsoutar, Kjus jackets make you ski better, and you will find yourself being chased down the hill by ski groupies.
Worth every cent in my opinion!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had to buy a pair of ski trousers in Zermatt a few years ago due to my old ones self destructing. Even though the exchange rate was much better then a pair of North Faces cost a fortune and there weren't any cheaper ones about.

Last time I went to Switzerland (Laax) everyone seemed to wear Kjus and it was even more expensive there than here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a big seller amongst the Tokyo high rollers who come up to Hokkaido to ski.

In fairness though, the waterproof wool jacket that was out last winter was a fabulous bit of kit.

Pity Kjus gear never seems to be on sale.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got a pair of Kjus ski trousers....which were on sale, a closing down sale.
The eventual price was very reasonable, but I suspect it will be a once only purchase for me.

I looked at their jackets too in some ski shop in the USA when I was there on business.
I came back with two complete outfits one for very cold weather, one for spring temperatures, for less than the price of that jacket!

Still use them too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inverted snobbery. Every bit as distasteful as regular snobbery.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^^ guess who just got a Kjus jacket

must say, I am a bit bewildered as to what a £1400 jacket gets you that I don't have in my ludicrously-over-priced-(if you pay RRP which I didn't)-but-still-less-than-50%-of-£1400 jacket. but we need people to start splashing out on stuff they don't really need to get the economy back on its feet Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As with anything in the 'Race' World it all seems to come with a cost.

Being 'associated with the likes of Cuche, Bode and Lara Gut ( my personal fav wink Embarassed ) all comes at a cost.

Someone has to pay for them...that being joe public.

It is quality stuff...with a nice snug fit. Looks awful on rather 'large' people though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Looks awful on rather 'large' people though.

spud, Bit like Spyder and Bogner!

Kjus jackets are v good gear, pants I dont rate - but I agree mad prices new, some good deals late season though............cant believe anyone would buy at full price.

I've got a size XL Kjus Formula Jacket (all black with small orange trim bits) that I bought in a sale 18 months ago so represented a good deal at the time - quality is brilliant but too big for me now. 2 years old, v light use, I find it too warm and prefer a goretex shell/ layered system nowadays. If you are anti Kjus, and I suspect most on here are well its not for you, but you never know, PM me if you are interested. I dont wear it so if someone else wants it they can have it if we can agree a price. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I love Kjus stuff...but i've got too much gear as it is.

I prefer Phenix and Goldwin.
snow conditions
Quote:
Inverted snobbery. Every bit as distasteful as regular snobbery
Not sure if an unwillingness to have one's eyes taken out is inverted snobbery - I'm with the OP and just don't get it at all. IMO it all goes with today's wanna be celebrity lifestyle "Oooh, Posh and Becks have got £2000 Volant skis....I'd better get some." Yawn....

For the record, I was none too happy that my (supposedly duty free at airport) expensive (in my book) North face jacket's lining fell to bits after 3-4 winters of skiing. It now p***es in water. Surely I could expect it to last longer than that? (I've had much more use out of cheapo Nevica (etc) stuff over the years).....

Cue trip to TK Maxx and new Surfanic jacket at £30 (reduced from £120). Roadtested over about 40+ days last winter and just the job Smile .

There's a Skiwear4less ad at the moment that says 'The jacket shouldn't cost more than the holiday wink!'
snow report
mountainaddict, yes, of course spending £1400 on a jacket is silly, but everything is relative. Why spend £50k on a BMW when an old banger will get you from A-B? Because some people can afford the luxury, that's why. There's a market for it, so why shouldn't a company supply that market?

It's the bragging about wearing a sub-£100 jacket (and implied superiority over anyone who dares go above that limit) I find amusing.
snow report
Quote:

Why spend £50k on a BMW when an old banger will get you from A-B?

Not a sensible comparison. There's a significant risk that an old banger will not, in fact, get you from A to B.
ski holidays
RibenaRockstar wrote:
the dad bought himself a new Bogner jacket while they were there.

Says it all really..

I'd spend about £200 on a decent jacket, but £1400 is just ludicrous.

Saying that, if I was absolutely minted I'd probably buy one just because I could, so as said, there is clearly a market for them.
snow conditions
I have never spent more than 5 grand on a car, and that was a real stretch for my little Tyrannosaurus arms.
snow conditions
spud, you are in fact Japanese and I claim my €50
snow report
Sorry to admit this but i have to confess to having a green (that was the only colour left - I wonder why) Kjuus jacket. BA lost my bag and skis en route to Innsbruck last year and the insurers told me to buy everything I needed. I was rushing and hungover in Ischgl the next morning (bags didnt arrive for 2 more days) and honestly thought I was buying a different brand (Schoffel) but there was very limited choice in my Medium size. Anyway, the price there was between £400 and 500 and the jacket is high quality and very waterproof. Is it better than my North Face goretex shell stuff? Probably not, although the NF goretex shell plus inner comes to nearly the same. I think this season's costings must have risen as the price quoted above seems extraordinarily high.
snow conditions
Funny that there's a few mentions of Zermatt on here; that's where I'm off for Christmas week. They will just have to put up with my Helly jacket (half-price in Cham end-of-season sale).

Been to Zermatt a few times now and just about manage to control the spending. However one danger is Mrs DS due to the fact that I have a Halifax credit card (good fx rate / no charges) and she doesn't. This results in her going shopping and I pay on the proviso I get refunded back in Blighty. She does occasionally need prompting however and I don't always remember. In fact I've just realised that the two (yes two) watches she bought in Paris on my card in July were never refunded to me.

Right - I know what I'll we'll be discussing when I get home tonight !!
snow conditions
There is a market for cheap clothes and there is a market for expensive clothes. No-one forces anyone to buy ski jackets for 1400 quid. There are people shopping at Harrods and people shopping on high streets. Fact of life. Complaining about about something being too expensive is the same as complaining aboout not being rich. Also, if you ski many days a year you can buy more expensive ski clothes (if you can afford them) as in this case you are more likely to get your money worth out of something. This applies to most things, not just ski clothes, but definition of "worth" varies depending on a person's income/life style etc. If you like something and can afford it no point complaining about the price. If you can't afford something then like something else you can afford. Simple.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 26-10-12 13:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
That's basically why I like fat ugly ginger girls.
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
There is a market for cheap clothes and there is a market for expensive clothes. No-one forces anyone to buy ski jackets for 1400 quid. There are people shopping at Harrods and people shopping on high streets. Fact of life. Complaining about about something being too expensive is the same as complaining aboout not being rich. Also, if you ski many days a year you can buy more expensive ski clothes (if you can afford them) as in this case you are more likely to get your money worth out of something. This applies to most things, not just ski clothes, but definition of "worth" varies depending on a person's income/life style etc. If you like something and can afford it no point complaining about the price. If you can't afford something then like something else you can afford. Simple.

what if you can afford something but still can't work out why it's so bleedin expensive? Puzzled
snow report
Just sat having my lunch reading the above and I think this is a really intersting thread............there's the people who want to ski in as cheap as possible gear because it does the job so must be good and so why wouldnt you ski therefore in Tacky Micks, Dare2be or Tog24? Then there's the top end gear guys who value good gear and want a quality brand image etc. The one thing I always go back to like Dr John, is that the Audi garage is almost always a lot busier than the Skoda garage so there must be something in quality and brand vs cheap and cheerful. However with Kia and Daewoo, ie the copy-cat brands coming up on the rails there's a whole lot to think about, thats where TNF come into it, they are recycling old established brands' quality and mass producing quality gear using technology thats been around for a long time (eg Patagonia, Arcteryx, Berghaus, Mammut etc) for a general wider audience. That's why their gear doesnt last IMO, it's not had the R&D like the "proper" technicval brands have so when used in a tech environment it struggles, not all the time just sometimes. Then there's the supermarket brands, Quecha etc...............intersting stuff. Horses for courses.

IMV you pays your money and you make your own choice, simple as! Just make sure you buy it in the SALE!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 26-10-12 14:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Arno, If you indeed can afford it why would you have to work this out?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, I think you'll find that The North Face has a long established history as a technical brand... What was Scott Schmidt wearing in 1988?

You don't see TK Maxx sponsoring high mountain expeditions Twisted Evil

That said, they do seem to have some quality issues, TOH had a jacket that didn't even last two seasons. Unimpressed as it was no cheaper than anything else she'd looked at.
ski holidays
under a new name, Not disputing that TNF have some top end gear in the range, however since it went east rather than made in Scotland if isn't the same. One of my best jackets is a black/ yellow TNF 1988/90 jacket, proper well made and fit for purpose. Stuff they sell now isn't the same quality.
ski holidays
Is it too late to order in some popcorn?
ski holidays
Chasseur, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Talking about people being proud about their sub 100 pound jackets - often this can be due to incredulity as much as anything else.

I had tried on loads of jackets and been unable to find anything that was a long enough fit from the Traspass, Dare2be, etc I had found online (was unable to get to a shop), got a recommendation on here that Ripcurl would be long enough and thought 'fine, though I'll probably have to pay through the nose...' and found my jacket for 40 pounds on TK Maxx Smile
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Why spend £50k on a BMW when an old banger will get you from A-B?

Not a sensible comparison. There's a significant risk that an old banger will not, in fact, get you from A to B.

Mr Lizzard, there's also a significant risk that a cheapo-ski-kit (let's call "Old-Banger-Brand") may not infact do the job of keeping you warm, stopping the icy wind from freezing your body parts, and thus hindering a skier from getting from A to B on the mountain.

You pay the money, you make the choice, hopefully based on a thimble full of knowledge/understanding of skiing or Alpine winters. As I've earned more my sports kit, and especially my ski kit, has become the more technical and the more expensive as my experience of sport/skiing in turn influences my choice of kit.

Kjus ski wear is expensive because it is expensive kit, it is most certainly not Tog24, even though some skiers find that OBB brand quite adequate for their needs.

Now, Mrs-Skimastaah has 3 Moncler ski jackets, bought at Strolz (Lech) in their end of season sales - 50% off. Same cost as a full price Kjus jacket, and a much cooler retro-ski-look than Kjus' costly but razor-sharp Euro-Flash styling.

And spud biggup on Phenix and Goldwin!! Cool
ski holidays
skimastaaah, Apparantly i need to 'big up' as i've been accused of being Japanese... Shocked Embarassed Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
spud wrote:
skimastaaah, Apparantly i need to 'big up' as i've been accused of being Japanese... Shocked Embarassed Laughing Laughing

There's a song in there somewhere.
snow report
skimastaaah, You really think so?
snow conditions
Quote:
It's the bragging about wearing a sub-£100 jacket (and implied superiority over anyone who dares go above that limit) find amusing
....So that's me told then Sad .......Even if I didn't intend to brag (just state a fact) and my lesson was learned by buying a £150+ big brand jacket that leaked after 3 years...... Puzzled
ski holidays
Markymark29, It was made in Scotland?

I suspect that the very top of the range is still as good as it ever was, but that the rest is vulgarised, as the French would have it.

Oh and for many years, that black and yellow outfit (also rather fetching in black and purple) was de rigeur at the Whistler LGBT Pride festival.

Just sayin' Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

( two strapping Norfolk farmers I know wearing said kit, and coincidentally (apparently) finding themselves in Whistler during said fest wondered why so many of their new friends had moustaches...)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 26-10-12 17:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
skimastaaah, You really think so?

Spud, turning Japanese, he's turning Japanese, I really think so. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy