Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
I've never skied Scotland, and we are considering a weekend this season. We weren't planning on booking until much much nearer the time, to see what the conditions are like first.

However, I'm wondering, based on previous years, when does the Scottish ski season usually start and end? What is the snow like in March? What is it like at the end of January, and more importantly, how accessible/inaccessible are the roads?

Our car is not suitable for driving to Scotland (rear-wheel 2-seater). What are the trains like? We live in Northern England so could get on the sleeper train in Preston, although the return times look a bit pants (arrive in Preston at 4am-ish). Or would 4-wheel drive car hire be better? Or can you fly (not far from Manchester airport so thats an option)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It can be very cold in January, march and April are generally my favourite time of year for skiing, I think the first week of march is a reasonably safe bet, look on winterhighland for pics of previous years

http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=620

you search various dates by clicking on the season at the bottom, this is from 2009/2010
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You don't need anything clever in a car to get up to the Scottish resorts. I used to go up in my 2CV, and I would probably do so again in my MX5. The roads are normally clear
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You think an MX5 could make it? Ski carriage would be interesting though! Currently considering buying a Handirack roof rack but not a clue if it will actually work!

lynseyf, thanks for the tip. Likelihood is it will be March. I'm just keen to get skiing again, and can't wait until Austria in February!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We live in the Preston area and always drive up. Leave work at 4oclock ish Friday night in Spittal of Glenshee by 9pm ish depending on traffic. Have sometimes skied Glenshee on Saturday and driven over to Newtonmore to ski Cairngorms Sunday but that's a bit of a faff to be honest. In the right conditions skiing in Scotland can be fantastic. Last year we managed to get B & B in the Spittal for £10pppn booked a few nights in advance. Never had a problem driving. Even in December 2010 when there was huge amounts of snow still managed it. We do have snow chains but never needed to use them. Lots of reasonably priced accommodation just outside Aviemore too.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
shootinstar9 wrote:
You think an MX5 could make it? Ski carriage would be interesting though! Currently considering buying a Handirack roof rack but not a clue if it will actually work!

It's Scotland, not Siberia Very Happy

As well as having surfaced the roads, they also have colour telly AND hot running water Wink

NehNeh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never make plans for my trips to the Scottish slopes, the snow and weather is just too unreliable, and I only live 80 minutes drive from Glen Shee. It is always spur of the moment when the weather and conditions are right.

However I have had many, many fantastics days in the Scottish mountains, just leave it to the last minute and drive up when the conditions look good. However try to come up mid week if you can, as if the conditions are good, the slopes will be mobbed as the owners cram in more punters than the lifts can effectively handle.

Cairn Gorm, the last week end of April this year.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 25-10-12 15:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef wrote:
As well as having surfaced the roads...

Have they done that now then? They hadn't in 2008 when I went!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef wrote:
shootinstar9 wrote:

It's Scotland, not Siberia Very Happy

As well as having surfaced the roads, they also have colour telly AND hot running water Wink

NehNeh

Point taken wink but the last two winters, I've not been able to get off my estate which is on a gentle slope in a rear wheel drive car (albeit in a different car to the current one) Embarassed

We were considering a day or two skiing in Cumbria, but all their websites are brandished with warnings about impassable roads and the need for shovels and four-wheel drive vehicles. Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 25-10-12 15:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
March might be great, it might be awful. March 2012 saw *NO* lift served skiing at all in scotland, for the forst time since lift served skiing began. However April saw the return of the snow and indeed skiing continued into May.

In 2011 we took our caravan up to Scotland for a couple of weeks, and while the Lecht had already closed due to the scarcity of snow, we had a great trip and a snowfall while we were there meant we were able to ski all 5 "resorts" - more details here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1669075
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shootinstar9 wrote:

Point taken wink but the last two winters, I've not been able to get off my estate which is on a gentle slope in a rear wheel drive car (albeit in a different car to the current one) Embarassed

two points :

1 : I find the roads in Scotland are dealt with far more effectively in terms of snow clearance and gritting than in Englandshire.

2 : Without wanting to insult : maybe get some training on driving in those conditions? I have no problem driving my MX5 in snowy and icy conditions, and I've got a supercharged 1.8 mk 2.5. Get some snow-socks or similar if you don't want to invest in winter tyres.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The MX5 is brand-new so I'm yet to see how it copes with bad weather. Our estate was completely untreated, and it was actually a half to a foot of snow with sheet ice underneath that was covering the road. The only guy who could get off was the one in the old Land Rover with snow chains.

But winter tyres are not a bad idea anyway Little Angel

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 25-10-12 16:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I recall one year, I lived in East Kilbride and was working in Hillington in Glasgow. EK is about 400ft higher than Glasgow so often has snow when it's only raining in Glasgow.

On one occasion, the weather was so bad and the snow so deep that noone could get into the office on the Monday morning. I got in on the Tuesday, and was one of only 3 that made it, and the other 2 were relatively local. I was driving a Citroen Xantia estate-car

I got in no problem on the Wednesday at all, but still I people were having problems getting in somehow, and even saw someone in a 4x4 struggling to get parked beside me, and eventually abandoned it in the middle of the car park.

I wasn't flavour of the month, tho, as we were only given the Monday and Tuesday as a paid 'holiday' due to the weather. Anyone that didn't make it in on Wednesday onwards were given it as unpaid leave, the argument being if I could get in from somewhere with far worse road and snow conditions than Glasgow then there was no excuse Neutral
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First half of March is normally the deepest snow on average - with the rest of March not far behind (and often another peak in early April). But as been said the Scottish snow can be erratic with effectively no snow the second half of last March. That was exceptional, though.
I have been trying to get together a Snowheads Scottish weekend meet-up for (probably) 23rd/24th March.

What sort of skiing do you enjoy? If you like steeper stuff - especially off piste you should consider Nevis Range, which has splendid Back-bowl skiing (and often more snow than the front). There are lots of B & Bs especially on the south edge of Fort William.
If you prefer less challenging piste skiing, however, Aviemore(Cairngorm) and Glenshee are much more extensive.

Nevis back:
(its not mostly as hard as this!)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 25-10-12 17:43; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Less challenging piste skiing.

I'd looked at Glencoe originally, as I thought that would be the easiest/quickest to get to, but according to Google Directions, Glenshee takes the same amount of time by car.

We were looking at the second weekend in March, but would quite happily go anytime.
ski holidays
^ The Scotch ski season typically starts in Nov / Dec / Jan, peaks in Feb / Mar, and closes in Apr / May.

The second half of Feb to the close of Apr is the best window for sunniest weather and deepest snow.

Nevis Range is the best resort for skiing.

Glencoe is the best resort for scenery.

Cairngorm is the best resort for reliable snow.
latest report
shootinstar9, Glencoe is a great little place - full of character. Not as big as the 2 big ones in the East (or Nevis, for that matter). But I don't like snow fences which you get everywhere in the East (they go along the edges of most pistes to trap and retain the snow: Scotland can be very windy).

proposed Snowheads meet: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2078530&highlight=scotland+scottish#2078530
snow conditions
shootinstar9, For easy access Cairngorm or Nevis Range are probably the best, if you decided to go by train Aviemore would be best with an hourly bus service to the slopes. After an unprecedented March without snow this year it returned at the beginning of April and thankfully kept coming so that we had good skiing until nearly the end of May. Incidentally the AA gives me a time of 2hr25min to get to Cairngorm from near Perth but driving to the speed limit it normally takes us about 1hr 40min. Agree with snowball, Glencoe is worth a visit.

ski holidays
Alternatively the train to Fort William for Nevis (via Glasgow). There is an overnight train from London, too, but it arrives after the lifts open (or did previously, anyway). Or you can go easyjet to Glasgow and hire a car.

You can see the snow fences in larry1950's photo of Cairngorm above.
snow conditions
We live in North West England, so would drive up the M6/M74 until we hit Glasgow. So either East or West would be accessible.
ski holidays
shootinstar9, sorry, yes, I forgot - but may be relevant for others.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
shootinstar9, sorry, yes, I forgot - but may be relevant for others.
Smile don't know which to choose now!
ski holidays
shootinstar9, took us 6 hours from Manchester to Aviemore when we went up for the mayday weekend, but I cruise at a leisurely 60mph on the motorway and we did stop to eat lunch so you could easily do it faster
snow report
shootinstar9, im from manchester and have done scotland for a weekend,. Best thing to do is take a friday off work, and go up on thursday evening after work. I would go to Cairngorm if i were you. I have never ever had any issue woth driving in scotland. Roads are pretty good.
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
shootinstar9, im from manchester and have done scotland for a weekend,

I did Scotland for a weekend from Brighton!
ski holidays

Winter tyres made life a lot easier with a Honda S2000. Photo taken at Yad Moss, which is about the easiest of the English club fields to get to. I drove to all the Scottish Ski areas with the roof down in that car. Glencoe and Nevis (car parks at 300m and 90m respectively) are a bit easier to get to than the other 3 (635-650m) when the snow is falling.

Google might say that Glenshee is no further than Glencoe but it is wrong. I'd guess it's nearly an hour further driving on average. Manchester-Glencoe is doable in 4 1/2 hrs if it isn't snowing the whole way. Google says 5hrs+, 15mins further to Glenshee, nonsense. A82 is generally a much better road than A93 (except the short Tarbet-Inverarnan section). Glenshee does have much more extensive 'Less challenging piste skiing' but the scenery between and from Glencoe and Nevis is exceptional. The view south from Meall Odhar at Glenshee isn't bad:

But this is the view turning onto the A82 leaving Glencoe ski area:

There are plenty more photos if you search on here.

The advice about not making a decision until much nearer the time is spot on. I now live in Manchester and might make a tentative plan on the Tuesday but never settled it until Thursday. No problems with getting accommodation, even ringing up on a Saturday evening from the car park. Might not get your 1st choice but you will find somewhere. Occasionally there are bad queues at Glenshee but I've never been at Glencoe when it's been that bad (view helps pass the time) and Nevis always seems quiet. Cairngorm guarantees queues, but sometimes they aren't that bad. I only go on weekends and Bank Holidays.

Checking out the conditions on the webcams, winterhighland (Public Reports and weekend forecast in the season) and the MWIS forecast should see you right for the best place to go. If you have any other questions, one of us will probably be able to answer.

Edited lots of times because I forgot how to upload photos. Duh!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 25-10-12 23:17; edited 3 times in total
latest report
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think, weather permitting, we'll be skiing Scotland this season.

I'll be asking for hints & tips regarding the cheap accommodation already mentioned nearer the time!
snow conditions
There's some great advice above - go for it snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy