Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go for a Long Weekend from Munich?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend and I are looking to get away for a long weekend's skiing towards the end of Jan / start of Feb. At present, flights to Munich look like offering the best mix of times and cost, but I could do with some help coming up with a shortlist as other than a week in St Anton a few years back we've never really skied in that area. This is also the first time we are going for a long weekend (Weds - Sun... although may stay out of resort on Weds night as it would be a teatime flight)

We are both decent recreational skiers who like to crunch through the miles on piste, so armed with all that info I would like to call on your good nature and request some advice on:

1) Good resorts which are within a couple of hours of Munich
2) Within those resorts does anybody have suggestions for long weekend accomodation?

All advice greatly appreciated - Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have done in excess of 20 weekends from Munich, the list below is ranked by my preference, combination of the resort and the distance

Mayrhofen, can be there in 90mins from the airport if I get a clear run, great area, village, apri, accessable o/p but lift queue to get up and down the mountain, dont go at busy times.

St Anton/Lech, longer to get there but even better apri.

Ischgl - similar drive time to St anton but not as good.

Soll - Wouldn't bother again.

Booking accomodation is a pain in the ass, no one really want to take a weekend booking in advance. I always book the accomodation about a week ahead when they know it is going to be free.

However I am booked up for a weekend at the end of Jan in the Hof with some mates and we already have the B&B booked, Ill check on the name and get back, the best news is also that it is only 30m or so from the Penken gondola.

PS - I am also booked up to go to Solden the second weekend of Jan as a result of recommendations here, no accomodation booked for that yet, apri is supposed to be great there too!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wriggsy, if you can avoid an early flight home on the Sunday and maybe opt for a red-eye or slightly later on the Monday you will avoid getting caught up in traffic returning to Munich and all points north in Bavaria between 16:00 and about 18:00. It can get pretty clogged up just with the volume of traffic, throw in bad weather and you could miss an evening flight if you don't get on the road ahead of the locals. There are plenty of cheap B&Bs around the airport where you could doss for the night - look at Freissing if it is possible for you to do. The accommodation actually at the airport is stupid money.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, We always get the 9.45pm Lufthansa Sunday evening flight out of MUC, ski until 3pm and train back from St Anton, sleep/ eat on train after a great days skiing, traffic on roads bad but train excellent.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29, if you are on the train, it is way easier - the roads can be a nightmare as I have found to my cost by mistiming my return home!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wriggsy, If you're looking for on-piste mileage, stay somewhere in the Ziller valley- Kaltenbach, Zell am Ziller, Mayrhofen, and ski a different resort each day. The places I have suggested all have train stations, so it's very easy to get around. There are other places to stay in the valley, but if you're there for a long weekend you would probably want a car to cut down on faffing.
Look for accommodation on www.zillertal.at
Samerberg Sue, mentions busy motorways on Sunday evenings. Personally, I have never experienced that. I used to work for a tour company and part of my job was driving airport transfers. Quite regularly, we had people arriving on Thursday evening and leaving on Sunday evening. Those transfers were normally a breeze, straight there, straight back. Saying that, it was 4 years ago, so I guess it's possible that the motorways have become busier since then. If you're concerned about it, then Markymark29, train suggestion is a good one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will do some more research into getting to / staying in Mayrhofen & St Anton.

Markymark29 - any suggestion on best place to book train tickets?

I think the flights we will go for will be later on the Sunday - around 9ish so hopeful that traffic wouldn't be an issue but would probably play it safe and aim to get out of resort for 3ish anyway.

JimboS - in terms of late booking, do you just do a sweep of hotels chalets the week before and to see who is prepared to do a deal on accomodation? Any recommendation for places that operate Sunday to Sunday would also be appreciated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wriggsy, de bahn website or oebb website, bookable 92 days before you go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lech for skiing.

Kitzbuehel for chick shopping.

Garmisch for scenery.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
wriggsy wrote:
JimboS - in terms of late booking, do you just do a sweep of hotels chalets the week before and to see who is prepared to do a deal on accomodation? Any recommendation for places that operate Sunday to Sunday would also be appreciated.

Yes, I just phone round the week before, the local tourist info web sites list all the accomodation.

We are booked here for the end of Jan, it is about 30seconds walk from the main lift. http://www.gaestehausmonika.at/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

However I am booked up for a weekend at the end of Jan in the Hof with some mates and we already have the B&B booked, Ill check on the name and get back, the best news is also that it is only 30m or so from the Penken gondola.

It's Haus Monika. http://www.gaestehausmonika.at/unser_haus.htm Ooops, didn't notice your later post Jim.

Also, there are hotels coming up in Hotels.com for short breaks in Mayrhofen. Also the Viktoria and the Perauer offered us rooms this year (but not for one of the night s we needed) so they are both worth contacting.

If you haven't already booked flights, you would be better travelling out on a Saturday, you proposed dates block off 2 weeks of a hotel's bookings, will make it a lot harder to book something. Can you not do out Sat back Wed?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 7-11-12 1:58; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
Kitzbuehel for chick shopping.

What, you can buy women there ?? It's changed a bit since I was last there wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wriggsy, We've booked a long weekend in Mayrhofen flying out on a Wednesday afternoon and back late on Sunday evening. Self-catering accommodation.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All - thanks for the replies and the links to accomodation options. Saturday to Wednesday would be an option.

Halfhand - do you have any details on the SC place you've found for Weds - Sunday?

Thanks
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wriggsy, pm sent
snow conditions
wriggsy wrote:
A friend and I are looking to get away for a long weekend's skiing towards the end of Jan / start of Feb. At present, flights to Munich look like offering the best mix of times and cost, but I could do with some help coming up with a shortlist as other than a week in St Anton a few years back we've never really skied in that area. This is also the first time we are going for a long weekend (Weds - Sun... although may stay out of resort on Weds night as it would be a teatime flight)

We are both decent recreational skiers who like to crunch through the miles on piste, so armed with all that info I would like to call on your good nature and request some advice on:

1) Good resorts which are within a couple of hours of Munich
2) Within those resorts does anybody have suggestions for long weekend accomodation?

All advice greatly appreciated - Thanks!

Wriggsy - have you had a look at the SkiRail Map of the Alps? http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
This kind of query is the reason why it was invented! Shows you all the resorts you can reach by train, and how long it takes to get there from the nearest city. There are tons within a couple of hours of Munich.
N Neige
snow report
PS I'd be tempted to stay in Innsbruck. It's under 2 hours' train ride from Munich, and is a fantastic base for a few days' skiing.
You can stay in a great little hotel with your own room + breakfast for just 40 Euros (Weisses Kreuz hotel), tons of fantastic restaurants and bars all at university-town rather than ski resort prices (pint of weissebiere for 3 Euros), and you've got 5 or 6 excellent ski resorts on your doorstep (with free travel to each) including one of the world's best glacier resorts up at Stubai. The funicular to Innsbruck's own slopes (directly above the city) is just a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and the runs are some of the steepest and most challenging in the Alps. All in all, an absolutely cracking place!
snow report
Bad Hindlelang is not far from Munich with a number of small resorts in the area. Oberdorf is close by with good skiing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy