Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The snow center Hemel - is it busy Sunday morning?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone who's a regular at the snow center knows how busy it is on a Sunday morning?

The reason I ask is I'm working in the region over the weekend and have a Sunday morning free so would like to get a few turns in on some real snow as oppose to the dry slopes we have here in Wales Very Happy

TIA for any info!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It is not busy for the first hour or so (8am-9am) then it gets busy and snow gets bumpy quite quick but still just ok for the next hour or so.
Definitely it is worth starting exactly at 8am, you can have the first few runs for yourself on nice groomed piste Wink. It looks much different later on.
At least this is my experience from two Sundays I did in recent weeks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Tom W quiet at start of the day, gets busy from 10am with 11am seeming to be the busiest in my experience. Suspect it all depends on if there are any groups training as well.

To be honest didn't find the busy times overly busy and whilst the snow quality did deteriorate during the day it felt good for training on as not too dissimilar to what you can experience at different times of the day in the alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Varies dependent on number of users. I don't go there a lot on Sun ams but have been several times at that time, usu for an 8am start. It used to be very quiet at that time but recently they've been doing the unltd skiing monthly passes and that's been very successful, so when I've been fairly recently it's been fairly crowded. Not crowded like mid-season Sat mid-morning queue 15 minutes for 15 second run crowded but definitely wait around at the top so's to find a little space on the way down crowded.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, looks like I will have to forgo the beer on Saturday night and make it an early start Sunday Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been there a couple of Sundays in the past month and it's been getting very busy from 930am onwards. Particularly annoying is when there's a snowboard freestyle course thing going on, as they tend to not use the full length of the slope and have quite a high round-trip rate/frequency of lift use - plus it reduces the width. It is even more particularly annoying because they just rush in through the lesson lane on the 'experienced lift user' lift which means you get 3 queues of people for the one lift. Waiting 5-10mins at the bottom becomes the norm at these times.

I'd really really like to see a couple of things at Hemel that I think would help when it's busy:
- a single line queue for the lift instead of two poorly managed scrums.
- more frequent lift pass checking, if not an automated system. I think my pass has been checked 3 times in 12 visits.
- speedier resolution of lift-halt incidents. Sometimes even though the debris has evacuated itself from the area, it takes ages for someone to come and restart the lift

I think Chillfactore in Manchester does this stuff pretty well in comparison!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with driz regarding the lift queues at Hemel. They also need to make it a lot clearer that the lift on the left is the 'Express' lift and is not suitable for inexperienced skiers/boarders and especially small kids. There were quite a few incidents on Saturday and Sunday last weekend where people couldn't grab the pole or fell at the start of the lift and there was no one there to help or even stop the lift, resulting in absolute carnarge and a very long lift queue!! They also hardly ever check people's lift passes, which is surely in the company's best interests? I would have thought an automatic pass checker, like they have in ski resorts would pay for itself pretty quickly! Puzzled

Still, it's great having the Snow Centre so close by to London and it's a lot better than SnoZone at Milton Keynes! Hopefully they will offer the unlimited passes for November too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
coxy84 wrote:
Agree with driz regarding the lift queues at Hemel. They also need to make it a lot clearer that the lift on the left is the 'Express' lift and is not suitable for inexperienced skiers/boarders and especially small kids. There were quite a few incidents on Saturday and Sunday last weekend where people couldn't grab the pole or fell at the start of the lift

Agree.

As a first time visitor on Sunday last, the Express lift management was non-existent. I regularly watched people often missing 7-8 poles and then falling over. One example, a youngster who missed 10. In spite of his mother also being in the queue listening to people getting a little less than sympathetic. She did eventually shout out to him to leave the queue in the end - not the hint of an apology.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
coxy84 wrote:
They also hardly ever check people's lift passes, which is surely in the company's best interests? I would have thought an automatic pass checker, like they have in ski resorts would pay for itself pretty quickly! Puzzled

Absolutely no. they had one of these at Chill Factore and it never worked and just exacerpated the clusterfock of a queue situation.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How much Is a 2 hour ski pass for a Sunday morning by the way?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomb, £37.80
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
driz, You pretty much right. Although I did not experienced lift queues longer than a minute or two (unless there was a problem), the reaction to any accident on the express lift was way too slow. I can also say sign "Express Lift" is not so clearly visible most of the times.

Any slope restriction is a pain, freestyle specially, but even that small "hill" which is kind of formed half way on the left (looking from the bottom)
can cause people stopping there and meeting with the rest of the group before skiing down. Why? The slope is only 150mtr long Puzzled
Then you have those mini slaloms for lessons etc........

Never had a lift pass checked. How nice wink

Bottom of Express lift has often so much loose snow and is so uneven I am not surprised people struggle.

However, first hour is mostly very good regarding snow and number of people. And even later when you wait a bit on the top you can pick up perfect time to slide comfortably.
Maybe there should be early start on Sundays. Let's say 7am Wink

On my visits it was busier than expected - probably due to all Groupon deals and monthly passes.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 25-10-12 13:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chasseur, ouch that's a lot more expensive than a 2 hour session here in Wales... Thanks for the info though Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy