Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach, Lech, Mayrhofen or France

Poster: A snowHead
Mixed age (20 - 40+) and ability group from those who haven't skied to a couple of experts but mainly intermediates who want somewhere with lively après but good snow sure skiing. We've been to Mayrhofen before and were going to book again but remembered last year saying 'never again' because of the HUGE queues going up and especially down at the end of the day, and some of the incredibly busy pistes. Otherwise great resort. Can anyone suggest lively alternatives that won't completely break the bank for the younger ones in our group. We want to stay in hotels preferably. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach would probably fit the bill, but possibly not near the end of the season...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

that won't completely break the bank for the younger ones in our group

Billfred, Lech is very expensive, and I wouldnt say its lively.

Thought about Kitzbuhel, or Ischgl?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can only comment on the Austrian alternatives that you've named, but you've identified the biggest problem with Mayrhofen, i.e. the queues going up and coming down, so that leaves Lech or Saalbach.
Lech will be closer to breaking the bank than Saalbach, so it depends on how big your budget is. Saalbach also has the livlier apres, so that gets my vote.

If you generally liked the Ziller area, you could move down the valley a little from Mayrhofen to Zell am Ziller or Kaltenbach. Another option would be Westendorf/Brixen or Elmau in the Wilder Kaiser area.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lively apri ski, St Anton the Ischgl have got to win over the other options.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 23-10-12 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, we're looking to go last week Jan/first week Feb to avoid half terms. One problem is that one of the 20 year olds has a non skiing girlfriend he wants to bring and he wants her to love skiing (and apres) as much as he does. It looks like Saalbach is a good bet. Although someone suggested Val Throen in France!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why not try France. Chamonix has a lively apres scene and lots of hotels, but suffers in that you have to get a bus to the ski areas which may be some distance away. Val d'Isere and Meribel are lively, convenient resorts with massive British contingents so may meet your requirement. Sadly I was not over impressed with Val Thorens. As with the most French purpose built resorts the resorts will be very convenient for skiing, no crowded unreliable buses taking you to big lift queues to start your day.

The one problem with the week you are planning is that the French resorts will be very quiet. You will certainly never see a lift queue and most likely have the pistes to yourself. Of course quiet pistes and no lift queues go hand in hand with quiet night life.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have mostly skied France, went to Mayrhofen some time ago and also said never again due to the queues for uplift and down.
Not been to Lech due to the cost.
Going back to Saalbach for the third time in four years this winter so you can guess hwere my vote lies.
Have a look at http://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/ which will give you a good idea of pistes and good guides.
France is off the radar for mates holiday but still okay for the family one mainly due to price and quality of apres.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val d'Isere.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech will break the bank to stay there - although not too expensive on hill.
Saalbach, St Anton or Ischgl - not necessarilly in that order. Possibly more to do for the non skier in St Anton though - great wellness centre, climbing wall etc (if that's her thang). Saalbach will probably prove slightly cheaper than St Anton or Ischgl.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obergurgl?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it's going to be Saalbach and I'm certain the non skier will be skiing and loving it by the end (she's having lessons at one of the snow dome places here before we go). Someone has thrown Avoriaz and Les Arcs into the mix. Soooo confusing!!! It all sounds amazing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Billfred, Saalbach is a really nice village with stomping apres. Ejnoy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Billfred, Go With Saalbach: apres up to the Ischgl standard, prices lower. Skiing good and varied. Lift queues minimal.

Lech for even better skiing, no queues at all (well not in Oberlech anyway) , but not much Apres and prices to make your ears bleed.

Don't bother with France if its mates trip and Apres is your main concern.

Some Saalbach hotels (including this one) offer single rooms (no one person supplement) at least they did two years ago when me and the lads went.

Handy if you don't want to share a room with a snoring farting Warthog (which none of my mates did! Embarassed Laughing )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Billfred,
Quote:

I'm certain the non skier will be skiing and loving it by the end

Saalbach does lend itself quite well to mixed ability groups, including non-skiers.It's an attractive village centre to mooch around, with access to village level nursery slopes, including one (frequently overlooked) that is gentle, uncrowded and centrally located (the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope).
It's also easy for a non-or novice skier to rendezvous with the rest of the party for lunch or apres-ski. There are plenty of very nice mountain restaurants that are easily accessible by a non-skier, as are the main apres-ski venues - the Hinterhag Alm, Bauers Schialm and the Goassstall.
The village has a museum and an art gallery, as well as numerous pavement cafes for sitting in the sun with a coffee and a book.
A non-skier can also hop on the skibus to Hinterglemm or on the local post bus to Zell am See (only 10 miles away), which has an attractive village centre and a large lake.
There are also numerous activities for active non-skiers, such as tobogganing (evenings in both Saalbach and Hinterglemm, and great fun for the whole group), guided snowshoe walking, snowmobile trekking, paragliding, horse-drawn sleigh rides and ice kart racing.
PM me your e-mail address if you'd like a copy of my comprehensive guide.
ski holidays
Billfred wrote:
Mixed age (20 - 40+) and ability group from those who haven't skied to a couple of experts but mainly intermediates who want somewhere with lively après but good snow sure skiing. We've been to Mayrhofen before and were going to book again but remembered last year saying 'never again' because of the HUGE queues going up and especially down at the end of the day, and some of the incredibly busy pistes. Otherwise great resort. Can anyone suggest lively alternatives that won't completely break the bank for the younger ones in our group. We want to stay in hotels preferably. Thanks.
Have a look at Serfaus, huge ski area, some excellent beginners pistes, decent hotels and a reasonable amount for the youger ones to do (a couple of discos and ski bars).

Saalbach (or Hinterglemm) or St Anton would be the other ones I'd suggest, or maybe have a look at Livigno or Sauze d'Oulx in Italy (this place was overhauled for the Turin Winter olympics).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy