Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ARABBA OR SELVA (MARCH 2013)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, after several great years in France, thinking of trying something different this year and heading off to Italy. Just the 2 of us this year, one a happy Intermediate (4th Season) the other a seasoned experienced skier of 20 years+.

We always go Chalet Catering and found some cracking resorts but we've short listed Arabba & Selva, both look stunning with great options on the Sella Ronda. Wondered if anyone could advise if there was anything to choose between, confirm they fit the bill for our different levels and/or other ideas & recommendations.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well either resort is great for the Sella Ronda as both have immediate access to it. Arraba is smaller than Selva so less bars, restaurants, shops etc. If going independantly, then Selva is much easier to get to by public transport. Tour operators go to both. Both resorts have easy access to other ski areas apart from the Sella Ronda. From Arraba you can easily acces the ALta badia ski area above the resort of Corvara. From Selva you can easily access other nearby ski areas at ALpe Di Siusi above Ortisei and the Col Raiser area above Ortisei/St Christina.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered which resort I stayed in if booking via a tour op. If I booked independantly I would go with Selva for the easier access by public transport.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's the bus from Venice to Arabba, which seems to be pretty convenient, so long as you stay in one of the participating hotels (which afaict is pretty much all of them). There's a link and details in the sh s9BB bash thread.

Arabba is kind of more convenient for the Marmolada sector, but I'd be happy anywhere in the area. Selva is certainly much more convenient if arriving at Innsbruck, by car, by train, etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that, will be going through a TO so I guess just finding a good deal for either would be the clincher. Any recommendations re: Decent Chalets would be great.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stay in Selva at the Vanadis, basic and clean, usually good food, ski room, 10 mins from main gondola, about the same from nursery slopes, ski hire at the end of the drive, and we have not found anywhere cheaper in the area, if price is your thing.
It's on the main road through Selva , so is convenient for all bars and restaurants, and there's an Irish pub just round the corner.
We are there twice this year. It's not plush, but it's a good base for all lifts and amenities, and there's free wine wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As these areas are up on the board at the moment, anyone have any experience of conditions at Christmas?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DIY to the Flora in Selva. http://www.flora.bz/en/

Stayed at the Flora many times, it's excellent.

We've been holidaying in Selva every year for 14yrs, we include other resorts, but we have great affection for Selva . Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have stayed at both 3 times each.

As has been said, both have access to great skiing locally and around the Sella Ronda linked areas. Arabba has some of the most testing terrain in the area and also keeps good snow on it's north-facing slopes. Selva is bigger so has more life of an evening, Arabba just has a few quiet bars and restaurants.

One advantage with Arabba being smaller and the only resort in its valley is that you often are going counter to the main traffic flows on the Sella Ronda, resulting in quieter slopes and smaller queues. Selva and the other resorts in Val Gardena have lots of accommodation resulting in greater numbers on the slopes and lifts. Arabba gets busy during the middle of the day when skiers from the other valleys are passing through, by that time you are off somewhere else less busy.

I would say that both are great choices, Arabba being the keen skier's choice, Selva if busier apres and livelier evenings are an important part of the holiday experience.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd echo much of what luigi, has said esp the point about traffic (altho in March not likely to be an issue), and add that Arabba has an additional upside of easy access to the Cinque Torri area (part of the Cortina zone, all on same Dolomiti lift pass) and alongside that the cable car up to the Hidden Valley, plus the WWI tour too. You can do most of that from Selva also, but a tad easier from Arabba.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Conversely, Selva quietens down in the afternoon. Personally, I'd say that Selva has a better location being in the Val Gardena valley. Alpe Di Suisi , Ortesei, Seceda are a long drag from Arabba, Selva to Arabba is no biggy.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the great replies, really got me thinking. Sounds like (tell me if I'm wrong), but Arabba may offer the more testing/varied runs for my wife who likes the challenge of almost any. We're also going in March, so with North Facing slopes, if it's a poor season, better option.

Seen there are quite a few options (Chalets) for us there and, whilst needing a few bars & restaurants to choose from, a huge night life is not a major issues - there for the Slopes Very Happy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the earlier in March you can go, the better ; it was very 'slushy' when i went to arabba 2nd week in march last year (17 degrees in resort !!). I am back in Selva this year - Arabba is little more than a hamlet, but the slopes below Portovescovo are brill !! Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JB1 wrote:
Thanks for the great replies, really got me thinking. Sounds like (tell me if I'm wrong), but Arabba may offer the more testing/varied runs for my wife who likes the challenge of almost any. .

Yes, the whole area is visually stunning but most of it is quite mellow skiing. Arabba definitely has the best tougher skiing and access to the Marmolada - the highest mountain in the area and a bit out of the way if doing the circuit from the other side. If your wife is into off piste there is lots of amazing off piste - some of it very challenging. Probably better to use a guide for that, though - and in a few places there are NO OFF PIST SKIING signs which were basically a way of absolving themselves of responsibility - they didn't seem much concerned, but don't be too blatant in those areas. (see our old Arabba TR )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
JB1 wrote:
Thanks for the great replies, really got me thinking. Sounds like (tell me if I'm wrong), but Arabba may offer the more testing/varied runs for my wife who likes the challenge of almost any. .

Yes, the whole area is visually stunning but most of it is quite mellow skiing. Arabba definitely has the best tougher skiing and access to the Marmolada - the highest mountain in the area and a bit out of the way if doing the circuit from the other side. If your wife is into off piste there is lots of amazing off piste - some of it very challenging. Probably better to use a guide for that, though - and in a few places there are NO OFF PIST SKIING signs which were basically a way of absolving themselves of responsibility - they didn't seem much concerned, but don't be too blatant in those areas. (see our old Arabba TR )

Looked Great, but my 3 seasons will limit me to just enjoying your pics Very Happy

The Mrs is not a Off-Pist junkie but will enjoy the tougher runs offered around the Arabba. Would you say Selva is a no go in this front, or just Arabba a better options - Don't like to be too limited when looking for a good offer.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Selva is not a no go, for sure. There's a pretty decent mix almost all the way around the Sella Ronda. For example Portovescovo reds/blacks at Arabba and the Val Gardena WC DH course at Selva both feature in people's top 5 pistes in the Alps(+dolomites). Even San Cassiano, which is reknowned for its easy blues, also has another Black WC (GS? /SG?) course (well Alta Badia, but it's in the same sector)
edit: no clue about the off-piste though
snow conditions
Selva does have it's fair share of steeper terrain, the Saslong variants, the Dantercepies variants one of which was a women's WC run, the runs down under the Ciampinoi gondola, the long reds in the Seceda sector, so still a fair number of steeper runs...and that's just in Val Gardena, there are 3 other valleys to explore, there are reds and a few blacks sprinkled across the area, you can do Arabba using the Sella Ronda...the Mrs will still enjoy it I'm sure!!

Canazei is another decent option for the Sella Ronda, there are a few Crystal chalets there, you can read my Trip Report here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1131915
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy