Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aspen or Sun Peaks / Sliver Star / Big White?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Some time ago I asked for some advice on where to fo next Feb in North America. Based on the feedback I received we have whittled it down to either 11 nights based in Aspen or 11 nights split between Sun Peaks / Big White / Silver Star.

We are good intermediates and don't mind a mix of groomed runs, off piste and glades. Happy on all runs including double diamond blacks (can get down but maybe not with the greatest of style!!)

So to the question - cannot decide between the itineraries....if you were choosing which would you go for and why?

Thanks

Rob Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd do the 3 resort road trip due to chance of powder/expected queues and the feeling of travel,I also prefer the small resort vibe and don't care 2 hoots about lively apres, I would rather drink beer in front of a roaring fire and chill out. I go to SKI, don't get me wrong Aspen appears to have a lot to offer it's just personal preference for space and tranquility on the slopes. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
darbyrw, Out of your choices I'd go to Aspen, been to Silver Star and Big White, we didnt get to Sun Peaks. Aspens four Mountains will give you plenty of variety and probably some powder too. I'm not saying you wont get them in BC either at the other three. You will probably struggle to find a lift line in Feb in Aspen, unless its a powder day waiting for the lift to open. Plenty a good stuff off the backsides of Snowmass and Highlands.

lilywhite, From what you say you are looking for, Aspen pretty much fits that description to a T Madeye-Smiley Its not the big typical lively resort, more of a western ski town. There are some lively places if you look but most of it is low key, aimed at skiers.

The three places in BC mentioned are all purpose built small resorts as such, where the resort has monopolies on services, from food and drink to retail and accommodation.

Whichever you decide theres always next year for the other one Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bones, Thanks, I've not been to either so can only judge by brochure comparison and what I've read on here and other snow sites. Aspen just doesn't appeal as much as the others, having said that I'd gladly go there at some point Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've spent quite a bit of time at all of those. They're different places, I'd go to them all, the issue is just which order to do them in. It sounds like you're looking at packages, but you're not comparing like with like as Aspen is a destination resort (people go there and stay there for two weeks) where as the others are much less in that mould. The resorts out of Kelowna are destination resorts for Australians, but they're not really on the same scale as Aspen, they don't have real towns. Sun Peaks has been developing for years; it's half an hour outside Kamloops in the middle of nowhere.

I would go to the area with the best snow at that time.

Colorado is not BC, they're very different places. Aspen's fancy. The BC places are real. You'd feel out of place with a one-piece ski suit with fur collar in the BC resorts there, but in Aspen you'd fit in perfectly. Not that I'd personally care either way, it's all about the snow, but some people are fussed about that stuff. Expensive, moderately dry snow when it falls.

Big White & Silver Star... well I've been there in better conditions than I've been to Aspen, so it's not a fair comparison, if you see what I mean. Think small resorts, no real town, Australian tourists rather than Brits. Both owned by the same Ozzie bloke. There is some excellent accommodation here and it's well priced. Restaurant choice is nothing like Aspen, no Michelin stars. More places for riding than public partying.

Sun Peaks... out of Kamloops, which is a quaint city. I like Sun Peaks, but it's again not a tourist place (which is a really good thing), it's not a real town. It's compact, but it has some good lifts and a lot of interesting terrain including some tough stuff. It's the sort of place where some local will befriend you and you'll end up in their hot tub that evening. I usually stay somewhere else when I ride there, so I'm not sure what the restaurants are up to, but Kamloops has improved significantly in the last few years and now has two places where I'll eat. It's the real world out there. Oh, I missed the important bit which is that Sun Peaks is at the south end of the Monashees, so you can get good snow there (a tad dryer than Co).

Summary:
- it depends where the snow has fallen
- Aspen: tourist trip. Big White/ Silver Star/ Sun Peaks: adventure.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As long as punters avoid places like Aspen, I'll be happy go back there in a second! Some are bothered by the fur coats, I'm not.

The rich go there for a reason: good snow, good terrain, no crowd. It'd be silly for any real skier to avoid a place like that just because of a few furs at the base.

As long as I'm not paying extra for it, that is.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
philwig, good summary, Given you're thinking Feb and threat of El Nino seems to be weakening, and for many a late decision based on snow isn't feasible, the BC resorts should be fine options. Aspen is expensive, but the skiing is pretty darn fine too. I know the BC hills better and you'll find immense variety amongst the 3. Sun Peaks has some great long cruisers, bump runs and fine tree skiing. Silver Star has a cruisy front side and gnarly back side - in Feb teh cover should be good enough to test out you're skills on some seriously steep, bumpy and narrow lines. Big White is more mellow, but great for exploring, has some good trees and bumps and I can happily rip the bowl and runs off Gem Lake all day long Wink

Lots of pics/reports from 3 BC places on my blog if you can be bothered digging - have fun regardless!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy