Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Honeymoon Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

Soooo... looking for some advice on a number of things really! As you may have observed from the thread title my OH and I will by January, be officially Mr & Mrs and have chosen to go to Whistler for part of the honeymoon. Can't wait as have never been to America/Canada and never to ski either so I'm beyond excited. I know there will inevitably be some negative comments about rain, should have gone to "x" resort etc so would please prefer nobody had a bash please! We've booked it so not a lot's going to change now! wink Just looking for some good advice! We're staying in the 4* Crystal Lodge which we understand is in the middle of the town and seems to get pretty good reviews (no we couldn't afford the Fairmont Chateau........!) but am looking for some advice on things like:

*personal reviews of hotel?

*Good breakfast spots - not looking for 5* dining, just decent places that wont cost us the earth that we can get a decent bit of grub. We're not used to having to fend for ourselves for meals as typically we book 1/2 board in Europe to avoid the hassle.

* anywhere good to buy picnic lunch, deli sandwiches or up on the mountain where's good to grab food?

*Dinners - anywhere that is worth going to/avoiding. Think we may try the whistler tasting tours and possibly go to one of the high end restaurants on 1 evening but other than that we'll just be looking for generally nice restaurants.

* Has anybody tried Cat-Skiing? this would be the ultimate in luxury treat for us but I'd love to give it a go as never done anything like it. sounds like a slightly more affordable version of heli skiing but can anybody tell me anything about it or if you've tried it?

*Any recommendations for lessons? I'm a confident intermediate and can now get down all reds (in europe), will give most blacks a good go now without collapsing into a fearful heap and am keen to make the most of our trip so would like a refresher lesson or 2 as last ones i had were out in Tignes with TDC (who were amazing btw). When I've been looking, I've just been a little surprised by the cost of tuition and wondered how much is the average I could expect to pay for a couple of sessions really?

*best runs to get down? Are there any free guiding services for intermediates/more advanced to help us get our bearings?

*Is any of the end of the day "winter activities" worth doing? we typically go to ski, have a few drinks and thats about it but if there are any other experiences worth doing then now would be the time to do it I think! Is the tube park any good for a mess about?

* Finally (sorry for essay!) - Apres recommendations?? Toofy Grin

Thanks!!! x
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK here goes... Happy

- Never stayed in the Crystal. It is smack bang in the middle of town so may be a little lively at night, though not too close to the clubs, and if you are at the back of the hotel would be no issue.

- The Amsterdam Cafe and the place next to it (la Bocca?) which is directly over the road from the Crystal, and the Lift Cafe (oppsite the village gondola) are pretty decent for breakfast - again you are smack in the middle so no issue finding anywhere (_lots_ to choose from)

- you could buy sandwiches, but no point. January generally isn't picnic weather, though the NOAA forcast is for dryer than usual this year so you never know! Happy All the mountain lodges are ok for food (mostly functional but not bad). For something a bit better there is Steeps in the roundhouse on Whistler, or Christines in the Rendevous on Blackcomb. There are also smaller places such as the Chick Pea in Whistler that can avoid the crowds. At some point go to the Crystal Hut on Blackcomb for Fully Loaded Waffles, though get there early as it is small and gets super-busy.

- Rimrock for high end (it's near creekside so you need to ge ta taxi, but worth it). Sushi Village/Sachi sushi for sushi (as the name kind of gives away!). Little place in Blackcomb that is (or used to be) Chez Gerrards. Hys for higher end steak, Earls or the keg for mid range ones. Place in the mountainside lodge for Italian. Lots of options really so thats just a few....

Not done cat sking at Whistler (only in the interior) so no idea if the local operator is any good, but there is one (powder mountain I think)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FiFi_Trixibell, Araxi
If it's as good as it was when I went it's well worth the price tag, for the theatre as much as the food.

As for lessons, the official lessons and guides are fantastic. Keep an eye out for the Fresh Tracks opportunities.

(Avoid the timeshare salespeople, unless you want to buy (actually, they're quite nice, but there are a fair few of them))

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-10-12 18:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stuarth, Thanks Smile For hotel I think we'll definitnely ask for a room at the back of the hotel and hope for the best as I've heard it does get rather loud but that's fine, we always have earplugs anyway lol. Although it's our honeymoon we wanted to be in the thick of things rather than totally out of the way doing the romantic thing.

Thanks for the food recommendations, these are all new to me which is cool - gives me stuff to investigate. I have heard excellent things about crystal hut; it's probably the place I'm most excited about as I love waffles Smile I should probably also say when I wrote "lunch/picnic" I kinda meant pick up a sandwich somewhere and eat-on-the-gondola type food rather than expect to catch any sun anywhere! But still useful to know it'll be pretty cold. It's the end of January/start of feb we'll be there so don't know if it will make any difference but nice to know might be drier than usual. I'm hoping if there is rain we can possibly just rock up higher instead?! Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
part 2...

- All lessons in WB are run by WB. The ski school is very good. Private lessons are very expensive!
For something a little more memorable, and better value, a 3 day Dave Murray Camp is a great way to learn a lot with the best coaches (don't worry it's not all about racing, unless you want it to be!), find the best places on the mountain, have a few beers afterwards, and generally have a great time!
Whistler and Blackcomb are big mountains with a lot of trails (not the same as Europe in that it is a big area with infinite options as opposed to many kms of motorways), so to really enjoy it you are best skiing with someone who can show you the goods and let you ski places in confidence that perhaps you would otherwise not do.

- There is a free daily mountain host service which will take you on a tour, though to be honest, you would be better combining it with the lesson thing and doing the above. The best runs aredependent on what you like in a run- you probably wont (deliberately) find yourself on my favourite runs! wink

- No idea - I mostly just do the eating/drinking thing! wink Going to Vancouver to watch a hockey game would be a good thing, but this year they can't be bothered to play it seems! rolling eyes

Lots of choices for Apres. GLC and Longhorn are the base of Whistler favourites but get busy, so places like the Hilton, Brandy's (in the keg) are easier to find a spot. Cittas (which is conveniently attached to your hotel) is good, as is amsterdam Cafe, Brewhouse, ....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth, Ice hockey was one of the main things we wanted to see - my other half plays premier roller hockey over here and so obviously is keen on the sport! I'm now partial to watching a game or 2 having been subjected to watching many of his games over yrs but all this NHL bobbins going on has scuppered our plans to go to vancouver really which is such as shame as it was the only thing we had planned on doing extra. Typically we simply go to ski and eat so tis a real shame. I'm not too fussed on the add ons like sleigh rides or snowshoeing etc, would so much rather preserve the energy for longer skiing or hit the bar!

Thanks for all other advice - very helpful Smile Will take on board the lesson advice. Not sure if we would do a whole 3 days camp TBH (largely as I expect it will also cost a bomb!) but may consider something as a smaller group. I just typically find I need someone to remind me what I'm doing so I don't get into the usual bad habits for the rest of the week. Really hoping to hit the slopes hard though, Don't know how confidently with all this black diamond malarky but would be nice to give it a go haha!

little ms spock, Thanks, we have booked fresh tracks already as that will be awesome for sure! Heard amazing things about Araxi and it certainly looks it from that "praise" page! Menu looks delicous!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I stayed at the Crystal quite a number of years ago - pretty good, close to the lifts, private pool etc and the Crystal Lounge (best apres pitchers and wings) and Spaghetti Factory (cheapest full meals) downstairs.

If you're in to grab and go food you can blast down to Creekside grab a Subway or Sushi from the grocery store and eat t in the Gondola on the way back up.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With regard to lessons, I did a Ski Esprit course at Whistler a couple of years ago and found it really good. As it was five full days I didn't think the cost was unreasonable either. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just remembered, you could do the Ski Esprit for less than five days, but all the details should be on the WB website.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Iski wrote:
I've just remembered, you could do the Ski Esprit for less than five days, but all the details should be on the WB website.

I don't think they do ski esprit anymore - replaced by max-4 or whatever it is. Bit of a shame as that was pretty much how I started out and it was good fun.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I loved whistler last season, and having gotten great advice on here before, think I should give back some info, FWIW, although not used to writing an essay or anything.

We stayed at the Fairmont, and I have to say, the Mallard bar was the best place in town for apres, although we prefer civilized glasses of champoo rather than beer with a load of teenage smelly people, which you kind find plenty of in the bar at the bottom of BC.

On WH, we preferred the Irish bar thats on the right as you come down the village run. Whats good from here is we could have a few large ones, then hop back on the lift up to the low station and 'board down the slope to Fairmont and the Mallard.

For a great breakfast we also used the Fairmont cafe, although guessing this was fairly high in price, the brekky burito kept me going until about 4pm!

Ignore all on slope eateries as compared to Europe its just embarrasing (or at least my limited Kitz and Kirchberg knowledge anyway). Better to hit the slopes, and get back to the village for lunch, then head back up. There are 0 cues so this isnt a problem.

For runs, my wife likes runway wide tree runs, so both mountains were great. She actually prefferred most of the blues as some greens were narrow road type tracks. Take care with the piste map; we ended up on the olympic run in fog rather than a blue, which wasnt much fun. We actually loved some of the wider cruzy greens too, the one from the top of WH is just stunning, and you can always cut out into some blues if the slopes are boring you.

Basically, WH/BC is the best place I could imagine going. If it wasnt a 24 hour trip from here, I would go twice a year. Toofy Grin

HTH
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh, forgot to say, for romantic rubbish try dog-sledding. Cant remember the company, but it was up a valley, and a really fun day out. Dogs were beautiful and the guys very passionate about what they do.

We also went to the golf club for a dinner and horse sled ride, but that isnt worth it in my humble opinion.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

oh, forgot to say, for romantic rubbish try dog-sledding. Cant remember the company, but it was up a valley, and a really fun day out. Dogs were beautiful and the guys very passionate about what they do.

If you're going to do that don't forget the goggles ,hat and face covering. Those little doggies don't stop for comfort breaks and the kick back can be somewhat smelly.

Mrs ansta1 and me had our Honeymoon in Vail and we did have a fantastic baloon ride. Now I don't know if they do them around Whistler/BC but the views on our trip where breathtaking so it's something I would suggest thinking about.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FiFi_Trixibell, If you're there between January 7th and February 8th then you can benefit from Discover Whistler discounts of 30% and if you book by November 15th then there is a $50 discount on some ski school lessons.

Iski, the Ski Esprit and Supergroups programs are no longer available and have been replaced by something called Max 4 where there is a maximum of 4 skiers per group. The 4 day camp version of Max 4 will probably have a lot of the Esprit instructors.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dennisp wrote:

The same outfit that slaughtered a bunch of dogs a couple of years back as business was bit lean in Olympic year?
snow report
stuarth, geetee, Useful to know about the Ski Esprit, if I ever make it back to Whistler!
latest report
There were free guides last year they met at the top of the solar coaster lift or at the top of the whistler gondola at 11:15. They had quite a few different levels that you could join.
Food we have tried Teppan village, Brew house,The Keg, Hy's steak house, Rimrock, Earls, Milestones. All been fine, Rimrock was the most expensive and the best of the bunch. The supermarkets sell sandwiches there is a little sandwich shop on the corner of the main st across from La Bocca there is a crepe shop the does a nice breakfast.
Zip line tour and snow mobile tours are both worth a try
snow conditions
FiFi_Trixibell,

*Good breakfast spots - not looking for 5* dining, just decent places that wont cost us the earth that we can get a decent bit of grub. We're not used to having to fend for ourselves for meals as typically we book 1/2 board in Europe to avoid the hassle.
There's a place underneath the Fairmont Chateau that's really good, can't remember what it's called though =/

* anywhere good to buy picnic lunch, deli sandwiches or up on the mountain where's good to grab food?
The general mountain fare is very good canteen style stuff, may not be as gourmet as Europe but it's far cheaper!

*Any recommendations for lessons? I'm a confident intermediate and can now get down all reds (in europe), will give most blacks a good go now without collapsing into a fearful heap and am keen to make the most of our trip so would like a refresher lesson or 2 as last ones i had were out in Tignes with TDC (who were amazing btw). When I've been looking, I've just been a little surprised by the cost of tuition and wondered how much is the average I could expect to pay for a couple of sessions really?
I'd recommend a day or two of group lessons - apart from anything else it'll show you good runs on the mountains

*Is any of the end of the day "winter activities" worth doing? we typically go to ski, have a few drinks and thats about it but if there are any other experiences worth doing then now would be the time to do it I think! Is the tube park any good for a mess about?
The tube park's alright but nothing to write home about.
There is a company who run something where a group of about fifteen go and learn to drive snowmobiles (or skidoos) and then you go to a yurt for dinner. Very cool.

Lastly, I'd really recommend doing Fresh Tracks - it's amazing!
snow report
For dinner, Araxi & Bearfoot Bistro are nice. http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/eve...nts/index.aspx
snow conditions
Hi all, sorry - been away from thread for little while! Thanks for all the ideas/suggestions so far. I can already see a few suggestions being mentioned by multiple people so have got some good things to keep in mind for our trip.

any further advice or input always gladly welcome Happy
snow conditions
dennisp wrote:
oh, forgot to say, for romantic rubbish try dog-sledding. Cant remember the company, but it was up a valley, and a really fun day out. Dogs were beautiful and the guys very passionate about what they do..

Hope it is not the same company that was in the news:

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Sled-dog-shooting-114975379.html
ski holidays
I've seen this article pop up a couple of times - horrible! The company still seems to be operating but their webpage only shows ATV tours so guessing that whistler tourism put stop to winter activities?

Not hugely fussed on misc winter activities though TBH; more in it for the powder!
snow report
Hi

We went a few years ago and going back in March next year - cant wait.
We had quite bad weather but the resort is so good, loads of places to grab bite to eat and have a beer it makes up for any off days Smile

I really like Dustys in Creekside (you can do the Dave Murray downhill Olympic run to it, its a black but its not that bad (well it wasnt when i did it last Smile )
They used to do a really good beef stew - yummy!

We went to Araxi one night - high end but was amazing food - really special evening! would definitely recommend - we will definitely be going there when we go in March 13 Smile
http://www.araxi.com/
snow report
I've been to Whistler a few times.

Dinner wise - Araxi is great as others have said. I like to sit outside and drink cocktails and eat the amazing bread sticks.

Lunches - I think the big on-mountain places are pretty decent. I haven#t tried the fancier table service restaurants on the mountain.

Cat skiing - I've done this in Fernie, but not Whistler. When I went the other guests were a bit undisciplined (ignored the guide and just went down en-masse - powder fever), so I think a lot depends on the other guests and your guide. I'd give it a go if you can afford it. A cheaper option might be a guided back country tour (if you don't mind working for your turns).

There are free daily guides, but it's such a big area I didn't feel like I got much out of it. I'd recommend you get the books "Ski & Snowboard Guide to Whistler Blackcomb" the intermediate edition covers on-piste & the expert edition off-piste.

I second the fresh tracks suggestion.
ski holidays
FiFi_Trixibell wrote:
I've seen this article pop up a couple of times - horrible! The company still seems to be operating but their webpage only shows ATV tours so guessing that whistler tourism put stop to winter activities?

Not hugely fussed on misc winter activities though TBH; more in it for the powder!

No that was a company called Howling Dog Tours.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/whistler-sled-dogs-to-be-laid-for-final-rest/Content?oid=2347633
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy