Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossignol B2's (05/06 model) for cheaper than £359 incl. bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
This the cheapest that I have managed to find these ski's with bindings for. Does anyone know where I can find these cheaper? I can't even find cheaper online - surely there must be someone "in the know" with these things that will be able to point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you!

Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hornster, you may well struggle to find them much cheaper without looking abroad.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You will probably get them a little cheaper abroad - I bought in France when just released on a one-off promotion at a Rossignol shop and ended up paying @420 euros. The cheapest normal price I saw was 500 euros away from the ski villages, and 600 in places like 3V and Alp D'H. Skiied a few days with the new B2s and they are great.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roman-i have just bought a new pair of B2's and can't wait to get on them-did you ski last seasons's B2, and if so, how are they different? I've heard lots of people say they are beefier and slightly more powerful/responsive-would you echo this? I enjoyed last season's B2's, so any improvement would be a bonus....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris, Yes I did ski last years for @10 days (rented ones). I would agree that they are more responsive - found my new B2s had very good flex and had total confidence in them. Not sure about being beefier - they seemed la little ighter than old B2s (may have been different bindings or my brain playing tricks!). You will not be disapointed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roman, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Roman, welcome to snowheads.snowHead

I am interested in hearing about how people get on with the 2006 B2s, as I had originally thought from the praise heaped on the 05 B2s that these new ones were going to be even better, and were going to be the 1st ski for me to test this winter (not having bought new for about 15 yrs or more - been hiring).

However some of the reviews have put me off, with my interpretation being that the self-proclaimed cognesenti declared them 'punter' skis, and "not giving much feedback".

Whatever both comments mean I have no idea, but could you give some indication of what kind of slopes and conditions you've been skiing then on/in, which gave you such a good feeling - thx.
Jim
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW wrote:

However some of the reviews have put me off, with my interpretation being that the self-proclaimed cognesenti declared them 'punter' skis

I think this means that you don't need to ski 60+ days per season to be able to use the skis effectively. I'm not sure it is a bad thing for most people although the term 'punter' is derogatory.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof,
Quote:

although the term 'punter' is derogatory.

You are of course entitled to your valid viewpoint. My stance is that the skiing public are largely expected to buy new skis of all brands based on someone else's view of how they performed. We are expected to take a punt. A model or brand popular with the public will inevitably be labelled "punter skis", since larger numbers of skiers are prepared to take that gamble, and if they are "lucky" then the ski will perform to their expectations, and their money was well spent. Punters are essential to the ski industry.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that whatever people's personal opinions the Bandit series (XX, Old B2, New B2) have always performed consistently well in ski tests, and are extremely popular amongst hire shops, resort staff, tourists, and instructors. They are a fairly obvious choice, but that's not a bad thing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowbunny wrote:
davidof,
Quote:

although the term 'punter' is derogatory.

A model or brand popular with the public will inevitably be labelled "punter skis", since larger numbers of skiers are prepared to take that gamble, and if they are "lucky" then the ski will perform to their expectations, and their money was well spent. Punters are essential to the ski industry.

Personally I don't like the term Punter. When I worked for a TO we were banned from using the word and any cockney derived versions. While your description conforms with the OED I think in many industries it now means "riff-raff" or "paying mugs", implying people who are not punters are somehow better, smarter or cleverer.

Thanks to RachelQ for this:
Quote:

Punter n.
The guy who has all the gear and talks like he nails poo-poo, but actually sucks. You may see the punters in the lodge talking about how sick their day was while sippin their latte's and waiting for their SUV's to warm up.

"That guy sure talked a lot of smack, but he turned out to be a punter."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=punter

see also:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=7281

As I said, the B2 suits a wide variety of skiers from pros to advanced intermediates (that is, most of snowheads). However when Joe Skibum refers to it as a "punter ski" he means that it isn't a Boheme Swallowshit Teak that shreds powwow at mach 3 and hucks big air like a jump jet. Meaning, a ski for the unwashed masses who will never progress beyond an hours skiing a day and a long lunch in Les Tuffs.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh dear, I've set the old rabbit running again!

The description "punter" is indeed probably derogatory, and whilst I , like most I suspect, would also feel miffed to be described as one, it may be that the term is indeed an accurate description of the type of person for whom the B2s are set up for... and yes, maybe me (ooh I hope not).

Perhaps I could take it another way - without an accurate way of describing one's ability ( q.v. so many other threads on THAT topic...) I can only attempt to describe what I need in general terms and hopefully someone will be able to pick some bones out of it that would help me decide what skis I should try out.

45, 85kg, (ish..!) 25 weeks skiing, now running at 3 to 4 weeks a year, am lazy for a good part of that time, enjoying spending time on piste with less frequently skiing friends. (I believe there was a quote on here the other day "Who is the better skier, the one with the longest skis, or the widest smile?"... I am of the latter persuasion). However, I do enjoy the challenge of moguls and blacks, for those of you who know LesArcs, the Lanches mogul field for example (Under Varet lift) is well within my capability to ski, if not stylishly, at least top to bottom without a fall or necessarily a stop. And, once a week I will go off-piste with a guide. I don't want to lose that adrenaline thrill.

So, maybe this qualifies me as having reached the dread intermediate plateau: for sure I want to improve my technique, but not at the expense of day-to-day enjoyment, and, as the bones get older, by pushing myself to the limit every day.

Thus the question is, is the B2 designed for the lazy boy in me, but be able to cope with the more challenging days without constraint, or... should I go for a more 'advanced ski', that may take just a little more effort to be able to provide stability and fun on 'red' corduroy, blue skies and a swinging carving arc whilst chatting about which bar to head for?

Not asking a lot am I? Razz (and Smallzookeeper will probably tell me I need to sort the boots first, and the skis will follow... Very Happy )

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 28-10-05 23:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimW wrote:

Thus the question is, is the B2s designed for the lazy boy in me, but be able to cope with the more challenging days without constraint

What makes you think that it wouldn't?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof,

I honestly don't know!
It just that I interpreted the views from people who would appear, at least in an internet forum.., to be the more advanced skiers and know what they are talking about, as "yeah well, its good for pottering about, but if you want to go hard and technical, get a XXX" <- insert here brand of your favourite manufacturer.

Perhaps I'll should stop reading reviews and just go do it...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimW wrote:
davidof,
Perhaps I'll should stop reading reviews and just go do it...

The guy from Rossi told me that if you were thinking of getting B2s based on what you had heard of them from previous years you should buy B3s as this is their new B2 with the B2 being oriented as a "punter ski" ('ski grand public' - his words). However the B2 is the same ski as last year so this seemed more like marketing than reality. He replied "not really, although the B2 is the same ski the B3 is better oriented to skiers who want to do a reasonable amount of off-piste. So yes, the B2 is the same ski but the B3 now better fills the demands of former B2 buyers." It kind of makes sense to me.

My take is:

If you are looking for a freerando ski go for the B2 (eg performant ski that you can mount with some lighter touring bindings and do some serious day tours). This purely on weight grounds. A B2 with Diamir Explores is still quite a heavy combo but copes well with varied snow.

If you are a strong skier then go for the B3. Rossiman said people had mounted touring bindings on them but it seems more oriented to lift served touring as you might encounter at Ste Foy or Tignes and you may well put a pair of Naxos or Fritschi Freerides on them if you want to climb.

PG may give us some feedback from the Mondial. Skieur magazine said the B3 was slow edge to edge. Whereas the SkiLabo says it is a great piste ski including bumps for good skiers. The B4 I tested yesterday certainly turned well and seemed quite fast edge to edge so I can't image the B3 being any worse. Shorter radius turns were no problem but a couple of times on medium radius turns it wanted to do its own thing. It was very stable. I could get used to the B4 on piste - so long as I had a porter to carry them.
latest report
Sorry if i'm not getting this, but what exactly were the demands of the former B2 buyers? If it was to have a predominantly off-piste ski, then why did they buy the B2 in the first place and not a wider ski....also, if this year's B2 is wider (admittedly not very much, but still wider), then surely it would suit these people more-maybe i'm misunderstanding what your saying...?

Also, i have heard a few people say that this year's B3 is effectively last year's B2-how is this the case? It is much wider than last year's B2....isn't this year's B2 last year's B2? Why is this year's B2 not like last year's version? Confused I'm confused, as i'm sure everyone else is after reading this... snowHead
snow report
I think that they are still marketing the B2 as a 50% on and 50% off piste ski - does everything. A lot of skis these days seem to be getting wider as more and more people are attracted to powder - I suppose that our choice of skis comes down to how much time we will realistically spend off piste.
latest report
Having been ski testing recently snowHead , the new B2 was the best all round ski that I tried (on a glacier!!). I prefered last seasons, as most of the skiing I currently do is on piste, and last years seemed better for that. However, unless I can get an amazing deal on last years B2s, then I'll be buying this years.
snow conditions
Elizabeth B, Today I read a Fall Line Magazine Test comment on the new B2W which suggested that the edge grip on the womens ski was inferior to the mens B2.
ski holidays
snowbunny, I tried the B2W last year and it was so awful I swore I'd never touch another women specific ski. I did go back on this to try the Head range, but wouldn't ski B2W if I was given them free. Linds tried the B1W and got on okay with it.
snow conditions
Elizabeth-good to hear snowHead In what way was last year's better on piste? I have heard that all the models in the bandit range are more powerful and higher performance than last year's models, more similar to the "X" models than last year's. Would you agree with this? Also, the turning radius has been tightened up-did this make any difference for you?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy