Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Junior 1 SL Ski Length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
u18 male FIS skiers have the option of choosing to use a -10cm tolerance in ski length for Slalom (effectively allowing a 155cm rather than 165cm ski)

I know this is to help transition as skiers progress from childrens' age groups into FIS which seems reasonable. So no problems with the principle.

What I would like to know is whether a skier using 155 skis actually has advantage - particularly on "turny" courses and whether this effect is significant.

Thoughts? Opinions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
g444eneva, I haven't seen any courses that were difficult on 165cm skis, they are not set like dry slope or indoor ones.

I have seen smaller u18 boys struggle to bend 165cm skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I appreciate the point about smaller boys - but this is not applicable in the case I am thinking about.

In fact it was indoor skiing that set me thinking as no one seems to use the longer ski indoors - as the shorter ski does seem to give an advantage on a typical indoor set.

Also I think that 165 minimum was originally introduced to halt the use of even shorter skis (150 even!) being used at the top level.

So there does seem to be some evidence of an advantage from shorter skis so even though an u18 is OK with 165s on a FIS set - would he have an additional advantage switching to 155 while still u18?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
g444eneva, I would expect the 165cm ski to be more stable, the biggest difference for me in racing on FIS courses is in getting used to the extra speed.

How heavy is the boy in question ?

The previous generation of 155cm male and 150cm female slalom skis were a different shape, the sidecut radius was smaller than it is for current skis which meant that they could over turn and flip the racer upside down, a lot of upper body injuries were caused by this.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Id like to avoid indentifying him if possible but where you seem to be going is that if the boy is big enough and strong enough he would be better off with 165.

The advantage enjoyed by shorter skis in indoor races is because of the nature of the set and you wouldn't expect this to be relevant in FIS races. Stability and speed outweighing any benefits in manoeverability.

Is my understanding correct?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When you say advantage...do you mean in winning races or developing as Ski Racer?

If the former...surely winning isn't everything at this stage?

Developing technique on 165's would surely benefit him in the future?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
g444eneva, If it was a trainee of mine then I would make an initial guess about what would work best based on weight but also look at their skiing on whatever skis they have now. If they are not bending the ski easily in the part of the turn above the fall line then they would be better off with the shorter ski IMHO.

Why not ask one of the coaches of the kid ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely they would be better off with a less stiff ski, rather than shorter?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy