Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Generic things to work on at an indoor slope?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered if I could get some of you more experienced skiers help!

I am off to the MK slope tomorrow (getting my first CEM fitted boots in the morning!!)

I would love some suggestions on exercises of drills that would be good to work on? I realise a good think would be more lessons, but at the moment, these are being saved for!

My current level:

I have done a week last year, but took to it fairly quickly having rollerbladed for hours every day for much of my youth! By the end of the week, I was happy bombing down a mountain, but having read more on this forum, it appears as though I was using the technique of flicking the back of the heels out and skidding round all my turns, hockey stop style. I am under no illusions that this is nothing like carving!

My thoughts of things to work on would be to try and work on getting onto the sides of the skis in order to develop into an attempt at carving, does this sound advisable?
If so, any youtube tips would be amazing!

If you think this is much too early to try this, again, I would love to know what you think I should be doing instead!

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on time of day the fridge will likely be very busy, you may struggle to do drills, I'd google ski tips carving and see what pops up, wish I could remember the names of drills to look out for, perhaps an instructor will read your post and give you something specific to look up.
Might be worth investing in a lesson or two, probably too late to organise for tomorrow but you won't know if you don't ask. Have fun. Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll give you an exercise to do (you're not going to like it wink )

1st Warm up for a bit and do a few runs down the slope just to get your legs working.
Next (you need to do this with great care) , ski down the slope as well as you can, using all your skill, speed, balance, etc.
Do this a couple of times until you're happy with it.
Next (the bit you're not going to like)
Do the same (ski down as well as you can) but slow it down.
Are you still as good ?
If yes, slow it down even more, and keep doing this (slowing down each run) each time you come down.
When you feel you technique isn't holding up as well, revert back to the last time you could ski well then do another slower run.

This next bit would normally be done by your instructor, but have a go yourself and try and see what the difference is between the runs. Are you using the speed to hold you up on the turns, are rotateing your hips to start to the turn, leaning back in your boot to apply pressure to the back of the skis to maintain speed, etc, etc.

Thinking about what you’re doing is the key to this exercise.

If you can, have a watch of any instructors that are doing demos. They will be skiing quite slowly but still in control and ski smoothly. Try and get yourself to ski slowly as well as you can when going faster.

I know it sounds simple but It’s really not. Give it a try

Without seeing your skiing level no one is going to give you any drills as you may not be up to them and end up hurting yourself or just do them wrong.

But try slowing down and see what happens. Remember that any idiot can ski fast (badly), it takes skill to ski slowly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks lilywhite, I had guessed it would be fairly busy, but it's one of the few times I can go! Lessons will be on the horizon, but after buying boots, tomorrow couldbe a little soon!

Massive thanks for that Wayne! I realise how hard it would be to prescribe drills over the interwebs, but I do like the idea and understand the theory behind slowing down, I will definitely be giving that a try!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lewischelt,

Won't help you now but...

For future reference Fastman has a set of DVDs that will give you years and years worth of drills to work on... www.YourSkiCoach.com
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Myself and Minimum_1 found ourselves at Chill Factore, Manchester on Saturday morning. I also couldn't see the point in squandering the time down esp. when there was a hell of a queue at the bottom. After getting my legs back with a couple of runs we tried one legged skiing after seeing someone else do it - before long loads of folks were doing it!! I was astounded how, after several runs of doing so, I went back to a conventional ski down and how much better I thought I skied following the exercise.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for that you two! I might look at Fastman's dvds, not sure whether to go for them or go for a few lessons! The single ski does sound quite fun. Unfortunately, it was so busy on saturday night that I just treated it as a fun session playing on the jumps!

I will probably make a new thread to get some advice about lessons on indoor slopes vs dry slopes vs in resort, so if you see anything like that pop up, please feel free to weigh in with as much help as you have on here Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy