Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2nd Jan -6th Jan Suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As a family we are looking for a long weekend after new years 2nd Jan - 6th Jan. Dates are fixed unfortunately. We are having real issues finding anywhere that will take a booking for that period. We have been in this week before but this year due to the timings of Xmas and new year they are selling them as two separate weeks. As previously we have managed to go for a short week post new year for cheap as they were adjusting timings.

What we are looking for is

Shortish transfers (under 2 hours from the airport) as with a long weekend you don't want to lose to much travelling
Normally go Switzerland or Austria but are willing to consider other options.
A ski area with a reasonable mix of slopes, 2 intermediates, 2 advanced. Size not too much of an issue.
Decent accommodation preferably catered (hotel or chalet is fine) but self catered is fine if there is a decent selection of restaurants.

Any suggestions out there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booking long weekends is never easy, few places will accept bookings until the last minute.

I have been doing the second weekend in Jan for the last 6 years now and chose the following resorts,

Mayrhofen
Les Gets
St Anton
Zermatt
Iscgl
Zell am See
This year will be Solden

With all of them I have left the hotel booking to about 1 week prior to going and then it is much simpler. All are within 2 hours of their local Airport, I think Zermatt was a bit longer as you cant actually drive into the village. I would go back to them all except Les Gets, as there was no snow and we had to drive up to Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi wam15,

We have availability for those dates but, as you say, they fall within the New Year week. We fit all of your other requirements, but if you are used to having a cheap short break after the New Year you may find it too expensive.

2nd - 6th Jan in Chalet Campanules £799 per adult and £699 per child, fully catered.

Details via the link below if it's any help . . .

With best wishes,
Heather
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should point out by family the ages are two I can't mention and the Kids are 23 and 21!

Thanks for the suggestions. Will have a look at all those JimboS,

Heather what is your suggestion for the easiest transfer? Is it geneva and hire car?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi wam15,

Geneva is probably the best airport for a balance between closeness and a good choice of flights - it is where most people fly into for La Plagne. But, Chambery, Grenoble and Lyon are all do-able too.

Transfer wise a hire car is usually pretty cost effective for a family, especially for a short break, and gives you the freedom of choosing when you arrive/depart. Alternatively we run shared transfers from Geneva for our guests (http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/index.php/travel-les-coches-la-plagne/shared-transfers) for £80 per person return.

If you want to drop me an e-mail in the "real world" I can send you through more info. My e-mail is Heather(at)ice-fire.co.uk

Hope it helps - happy planning!
Heather
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy