Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difficulty of black runs in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w,
Quote:

Celebratory selfies are really sad.

So, I agree entirely. Pretty much ALL selfies are sad. But, rather like starting every sentence with 'so', they seem very popular.
So, if someone MUST take a selfie, wait 'til you've stopped at the bottom and are out of the way. You could have someone's eye out with that selfie stick.
Just don't get me started on sentences beginning with 'so'.
wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@intermediate, Laughing so, you don't like it either? Good.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like selfies and don't think them (or me) sad - but I can understand why ugly people are disparaging about them. Little Angel

So to bring the thread back on track, I'll post a selfie of me on a black when I get back from Tignes next week.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro wrote:
I like selfies and don't think them (or me) sad - but I can understand why ugly people are disparaging about them. Little Angel

So to bring the thread back on track, I'll post a selfie of me on a black when I get back from Tignes next week.

I used to dislike selfies immensely, and still feel that way about selfie sticks and many selfies. However, I have found in order to have any pictures of us together, selfies have become somewhat necessary. Though unfortunately, they do seem to make me ugly.

Looking forward to your Tignes selfie!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Celebratory selfies are really sad.

Why?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Attempting to a ski a run when you're not capable of doing it well or safely, and therefore scaring yourself, is just stupid.

Learn by doing, innit Wink

BTW i'm being tongue in cheek, on the rare occasions that I try something beyond my ability I do so carefully and avoid others. If I'm going to have a fall then I don't want it to become a fall for someone else too.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
In the video above most of the skiers are patently incapable of skiing that run safely, under control.

How 'unsafe' are they then? 100% being the safest.

http://youtube.com/v/d0p38OTfW8k - not what I am hoping to emulate!

Personally I think these people are showing reasonable level of caution.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gerry,
Quote:

Personally I think these people are showing reasonable level of caution.

Not a pretty sight but I agree. I've been in riskier bus and train queues than that. They would really annoy a decent mogul skier though, whose nippy run down the fall line would be disrupted!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I understand that Silene is not ridiculously steep and, yes, there are big moguls and maybe it was very icy, but four of them fall over, about half of them are standing around in the middle of the piste and not one of them manages three or more consecutive turns.

I hesitate to criticise as if I give it a go I may well be on my ar$e as well.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 30-11-15 21:32; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@White Fox, I don't think anyone thinks they are skiing at a high level, it's just that what they are doing cannot really be construed in any way as being dangerous on that run, to them or anyone else.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know @T Bar, I was more worrying about the poor nippy mogul skier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where is Paquerrettes?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1969jma wrote:
Where is Paquerrettes?

You need a permit to do that run.

Apply to:

Pam W, Beaufortain, France or Chichester Harbour

Remember to enclose references and 200 guineas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It comes off the top of Toviere and joins in with the top of Trolles, it's only short. From the bottom of it looking up, it looks very steep!!

The people in the vid above aren't really a danger to anyone because it's not that steep and they can't fall far. They don't make it look much fun though, and I wonder how many proudly told the bar that night "Yeah I skied Silene!!".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
White Fox wrote:
I know @T Bar, I was more worrying about the poor nippy mogul skier.

To be honest most of them are so static a half decent mogul skier (and I am not one) would have no difficulty giving them a wide berth. Its the rather faster moving mogul shoppers who traverse back and forward that make things a bit more tricky.
snow report
Love that video! Very Happy

I don't claim to be a great bump skier, but there are few things more fun than a good bump run. As @T Bar says, it's easy enough to avoid complete numpties like that bunch; the problem is the semi-competent skier who hogs the whole piste with wide, panic-stricken traverses.

Must try Silene this year!
ski holidays

I thought I would join this thread, but then I noticed it was 7 pages long! I started reading it, and then could not believe how many people have an opinion on this and want to share it.

I have tried most of the runs in EK. The face is fairly straightforward, except when it gets a bit icy at the bottem part. It has a great cafe half way down, which is always empty in the mornings and gets great sunshine at that time.

I liked the video, it was clearly a great day that day, but not good enough to go through the eye of the needle. I took this photo, although I too could not ski through the eye of the needle. (I just went around it rather than by passed it)

Not sure if I can help you regarding more difficult black runs. It is a question of what you in particular find difficult, rather than the grading of the piste itself. Sometimes the conditions make a black run, a red or a blue, and sometimes it can make a blue a black. I would prefer not to ski on most white out days, but when there is plenty of snow and sunshine, then all runs can be attempted by an amateur like me.

Laughing
snow report
I think some very experienced, BASI qualified instructors also struggle occassionally on Sliene.......

http://youtube.com/v/fH0z2Oe3Xxw

Some big traverses and a few willy wobbles in this one...
snow report
That's about my level lol.

Tell me that dude's not really an instructor
ski holidays
Back on topic, why not ask here for an 'on the spot' black run update as per Chocksaway's latest report?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120323&start=200
ski holidays
The bits at 7.32 and 8.07 don't look very instructor-ish!!!
snow report
If he's an instructor I'm Glen Plake - I claim my 5 pounds!! Very Happy

The only thing that bothers me in the previous video is the amount of mini avalanche debris that has slipped on to the slope - enough to bury a little'un.

@Kenzie, Thanks - still looking for an open black run!
latest report
Isn't that Franz?
snow conditions
Looks a bit like FC
snow conditions
Looks like our dear FC to me. If it is, for those not aware he qualified basi L1 a few months after that video.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
Looks like our dear FC to me. If it is, for those not aware he qualified basi L1 a few months after that video.

Just goes to show that miracles can happen!
latest report
Which bit of the video is worth watching? I spent several minutes watching shaky bits of snow and gave up.
latest report
@T Bar, if you watch from around the 4 minute mark the camera appears to be pointing forward instead of down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
That's about my level lol.

Tell me that dude's not really an instructor

A bit harsh on the Franz, but he deserves it for the vertigo inducing video. First hit on youtube for me when i went looking for someone else skiing that pitch!!
ski holidays
This thread scares me.
ski holidays

Celebratory selfie at the bottom of trolles.
Snow was a bit thin in places. But otherwise the run is fine.
snow report
@foidster, why?

@Ray Zorro, nice selfie! Glad you're sporting a Snowheads buff Cool
latest report
Any sign of any of the other blacks opening other than Trolles and maybe Descente in the coming week?
snow report
@White Fox, Probably not this week Paquerettes and Campanules have no where near enough snow, likewise Cole Ves and Golf and the Breviere sector will not open until at least Saturday which might release Silene to the non hiking masses - I doubt Sache has enough snow to make it to the bottom in one piece.
latest report
Le Lievre Blanc is my favourite black, 40° in places so steep, moguls, trees and avalance risk. Lovely.
ski holidays
On reflection, I think that all of the black runs in the Espace Killy are much too difficult for anyone less than a skiing demi-god to even contemplate tackling.

The blacks become particularly difficult under certain conditions. Fresh snow is notorious for making an already difficult slope almost unskiable, for example, and when the morning sun starts to soften the moguls, I would advise everyone to stay well clear. Freshly groomed blacks can be treacherously smooth and fast, so keep away from those, too.

I thoroughly recommend everyone to stick to the green, blue and possibly the red runs. Especially when I'm in the resort. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Ray Zorro,
Quote:

Celebratory selfie at the bottom of trolles.

@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

@Ray Zorro, nice selfie! Glad you're sporting a Snowheads buff

Are you sure that snowHeads buff isn't hiding Trolles gritted teeth? Must've been great having the run all to yourself! Going green
snow conditions
The Face de Bellvarde is looking icy this morning !
latest report
@stewart woodward,
Quote:

The Face de Bellvarde is looking icy this morning

Yes, there'll be some boy racers on it this weekend. No space for my wide traverses wink
ski holidays
The Face was feeling icy this morning.

I saw a tdc guy at the top of the steepest pitch with a group plucking up their courage.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy