Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buying equipment from america

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm scheming to get myself a new snowboard. I've realised that the board I want (Ride Machete ) is loads cheaper in america than it is here. I have some friends who live there who may be willing to buy said board and post to me.

Now before I do that, I was wondering if anyone here has done something similar? Would the board be subject to import duty (presumably yes?). Any idea how much on a snowboard? Any other details I'm missing that I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The chances are good that you'll be hit with VAT, plus a fee by your couriers when they collect the parcel. This very quickly knocks off any perceived saving over getting stuff in the States.

You've got a reasonable chance of getting away with it if you or a friend bring stuff back, but aside from that it isn't really worth gambling if $US cost plus postage plus vat plus fees is close to the UK cost. Here, you've got more consumer protection laws behind you, you can more easily deal with the vendors and you'll have far fewer hassles with warranties, etc.

I'd only bother for stuff that you just can't get in the UK/EU.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Besides the VAT and the couriers handling charge there will be import tax to pay too. The percentage varies depending on what the item is. This site is useful for working out what it will cost http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might get round it if it's marked as gift, but I wouldn't take the chance myself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lilywhite wrote:
You might get round it if it's marked as gift, but I wouldn't take the chance myself.

If customs pop the item open and find it full of receipts, they're unlikely to be fooled wink I'm not sure what happens then. Many sellers won't mark a purchased item as a gift, as lying to their own customs people can be bad for their business and financial wellbeing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've done smaller items - clothes and a netbook.

I sent it to a mate, who took it out of the original packaging and took off all the tags.

Packed it in new packaging and sent tags and receipts seperately.

Worked for me.

A board is a different matter though.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi All, Thanks for this.

skir67, that link would've been really good if it worked for me! However, I did a bit of digging and found this:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P56_5044

Based on this, Import duty is charged on anything above £135.00 and VAT is charged on anything above £40. This pretty much blows any price advantage out of the water, and that is before I factor in postage charges. Clearly, I'm not the first person to try and dodge the system!

Well at least I know now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
khwaja wrote:
skir67, that link would've been really good if it worked for me!.

Odd, works for me. Quite useful, too!

It informs me that I should expect to pay 3.7% import duty on skis or snowboards, and then another 20% on top of that for VAT (so a total markup of nearly 25%). The calculator applies those charges to the sum total of item value plus shipping plus insurance, though I've no idea if that's actually correct or not.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Didn't work for me.

I put in a $200 pair of skis (under the 135 quid threshold) with $40 postage and insurance on a $200 purchase and it came out at a total price of

325 quid

Shock

EDIT :

Just did it again with no insurance value and it came out as 178.13

So by insuring the purchase in case of loss or damage it seems they calculate VAT and duty on that. Which seems ludicrous to me.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Walked into my office today to find a letter from DHL on my desk. Cost of my new skis has risen by £179 Sad Beware import duty, on which, unbelievably, VAT appears to be chargeable.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
So by insuring the purchase in case of loss or damage it seems they calculate VAT and duty on that. Which seems ludicrous to me.

Yeah, that sounds a bit broken. I know someone who had some issues when a package they were sent from the states was incorrectly marked with an insurable value of $1000 instead of $100, and customs decided that if it were insured for that much it was clearly worth that much and should be taxed as such.

Import duty on insurance though? Sounds suspicious.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zammo, and did DHL hit you for an admin charge as well?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski, Yup. "Advancement fee" = £10.50. Is this because they have paid HMRC and I am now reimbursing them, perhaps?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zammo, yeh something like that, otherwise known as money for old rope....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VAT is always charged after duty has been added, this is why we pay so much to the government for our fuel in the UK Stick a penny on fuel duty and the actual price goes up by 1.2p The only bright side from ordering from overseas is that you shouldn't pay any sales tax in the country you buy it from
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
zammo, yeh something like that, otherwise known as money for old rope....

Thought it was known as ransom demand!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy