Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carters Reading

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone dealt with Carters in Reading? Did you find them good?
I went there last week to look at skis, and before diving in, wondered if anyone had any comments?

I am a very heavy lady skier, comfy intermediate, a bit lazy (!) and dont like much speed! Was originally looking for 2nd hand skis, which were for my 40th birthday last December, but still havent bought any and my next birthday (and ski holiday!) are approaching, so looking at well reduced last season stock. Carters were offering Volkl Estrella's (in lime) for £280 with bindings, and this seems to be a good recommendation for my ability.

Gratefully receive any thoughts / comments!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always found them to be OK, just a bit on the expensive side.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I walk past their window regularly, looks good for a small independant. Decent brands. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The one by Caversham Bridge? Been in loads of times, never purchased. Always seemed to be well on the dear side of things, as musher says.

Still, skis are skis, and if you like them and the price is right, no reason not to go for it! I don't suppose which shop you got them from will matter once you're on a chairlift.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Becksy,

The Moderation at the other end of Caversham Rd does a great pint of Doom Bar and the Standard Tandoori is off the scale. Very Happy Never been in the 'Jazz Club' under the railway bridge though. Shocked

All of which is of no use to you at all. Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski, the 'Jazz Club' has I believe 'changed' ................ its less Jazz and apparently less clothes now!!!!

Cant find the skis elsewhere cheaper, so might have to go for it!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski,

I went there just after it opened (I am that old!) - it was brilliant Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Even better - found them cheaper at Edge and Wax, and Carters have price matched - very pleased at £249! In on Friday with my boots to get the bindings adjusted!

I can almost taste the Christmas snow!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Becksy wrote:
................ its less Jazz and apparently less clothes now!!!!

Really? wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Its a 'gentleman's' Club now! The logo suggests that normal clothes amongst the ladies may be optional!!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Decathlon had a rather extended range of skis in last week - some bigger names than their own brand.
Have been into Carters tons of times, and always walked out shocked at prices.

Where's teh Jazz club ...?

Nice top know that people supposeldy in Annecy walk through Reading most days Smile Makes my life of boring normality seem a bit better Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When did I say I walk through Reading most days?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Worth giving them a shot - they were more than happy to pricematch

Decathlon recommended their own, and they looked vile and were £200............. the girl was vague, and didnt instill me with confidence!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think somebody probalby feels a bit silly.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Becksy wrote:
Worth giving them a shot - they were more than happy to pricematch!

Or you could buy from us in the first place, and get free set-up, a full waxing (With a waxing iron) and shipping Smile

Nice skis those Volkls by the way, will suit you just fine!

ScottyDog
latest report
Becksy, I must admit buying skis from edgeandwax was a very pleasant experience, they came full prepared with detailed info about them and in some rather fantastic packaging for skis!!
snow report
Got a jacket in the sale once and bargained another 25 quid off so I was happy.
snow report
Mr Piehole, We are over your way next week, I'll give you a shout if we do a trip down to Lake Annecy Very Happy
The kids like to go to Zara, apparently its better than the Zara shops in the UK?
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mr Piehole, We are over your way next week

Reading?

Toofy Grin
snow report
sev112 wrote:

Where's teh Jazz club ...?

Underneath the railway bridge on Caversham Rd
ski holidays
My OH had his last set of Salomon boots fitted at Carters having bought them through a friend of a friend of a rep. They took plenty of time even though he'd not bought the boots from them and it was a flat fee for the fitting.

My first ever run was on their long gone dry slope round the back, aged 10.

Standard tandoori was certainly the place to go 25 years ago.
snow conditions
Stella,

Or the Everest.
snow report
Mr Piehole wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mr Piehole, We are over your way next week

Reading?

Toofy Grin

Nope, I'll probably do some writing........ and maybe a bit of painting wink
snow report
Stella wrote:
Standard tandoori was certainly the place to go 25 years ago.

Blimin' brilliant now. I travel from Cornwall to Reading regularly on biz, the Standard is a must visit. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mollerski,

I haven't been for a few years, but there was one opposite the station that was very good as well. Gulshan I think.
latest report
Thanks Scottydog - I would have done, had Carters not price matched you! To be honest, the clincher was when I phoned yesterday and the nice chappy on the phone said that I should get my bindings checked, even though they would be set up for my boots, that they should be checked over physically - panicked me a bit! All that aside, if Carters hadnt done the price match, the business would have been yours - but I was buying those skis on their recommendation from having visited the shop, and am rather strongly in favour of supporting local independant business where possible - wouldnt have done it if the £££'s werent right though!!!!

Am very excitedly going over tommorrow to pick them up!!! Now, where's the snow??!!
snow report
Becksy wrote:

Am very excitedly going over tommorrow to pick them up!!!

Then a pint and a curry. Perfect Fri night. Very Happy
snow report
Sadly, it'll be racing back for the school run!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gulshan moved out to cemetry junction a good while back

the one i used to frequent was the one next to the turks Head round about 1990 - cant remember the name but it was upstairs ...hmmm Confused
snow conditions
sev112,

Khukuri - but I don't remember that having an upstairs?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy