Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GAP course madness

Poster: A snowHead
Would you pay £3,595 for a four week mountain based course to achieve a BASI level 1 that doesn't qualify you to teach in the mountains

http://www.sno-limit.com/dates-and-prices/ apparently plenty do

The whole GAP year industry that has sprung up is bordering on bonkerness...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dunno. My daughter's cost me about £1K for course/travel/staying over in HH. Still got costs of transporting her to shadowing (local dry slope so not too bad) and 1st Aid to cover. But she was near enough at the standard anyway. Not too bad really if you treat it as a 4 week catered holiday with training (plus a jacket and a badge).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are some good teachers that have come from gap courses, but on the whole they seem to mainly benefit the people running the courses. I also reckon that an awful lot of those doing gap courses have no intention of teaching even short term, let alone as a career, as always there are exceptions.

In the main they seem to be mainly a 'badge hunting' exercise for many. Plus those that do teach will happily do a couple of hours a day for a season or 2 for low wages as they do not need to make enough money to make a living as they are subsidized by their parents, this pushes the more experienced and career seeking instructors out of the market.

Most people could save themselves a fortune by training on plastic or in a dome, getting involved with slope run instructor training and doing the level 1 course on its own.

I'm willing to bet that the minimum standard you have to be at for most gap courses isn't too far off what you need to be at to pass the final exams or at least fairly easily achievable in the given course time.

Still 'a fool and his money......' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:
Would you pay £3,595 for a four week mountain based course to achieve a BASI level 1 that doesn't qualify you to teach in the mountains

http://www.sno-limit.com/dates-and-prices/ apparently plenty do

I payed £3250 for a four week course to get the Austrian Anwaerter (before Christmas, so in time to teach for the season). Actually seemed reasonable value to me at the time, nice accommodation (in St Anton), breakfast (7 days) and dinner (at one of the best restaurants in town) 6 days a week, lift pass, course fees (€550), 3 weeks of 'training' with Staatliche level trainers and Bergfuehrers (Mountain Guides), one week of German lessons, job sorted for after... As I used the qualification all that winter and in some of my uni holidays the three seasons after (as did several people on my course) I think I will have made the money back, but more importantly it made me a vastly better skier and I had a really awesome season - a month of 'just skiing' without working was really nice. Kinda shaped the rest of my life too, or at least the goals that I have.

A bit ridiculous doing it for BASI 1 though, what's the point when you can't use the qualification?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-10-12 12:06; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

"I'm learning to be a ski instructor" is a lot more saleable to parents/colleagues/future employers than "I'm going to be a ski bum". Friends who did the gap thing tend to need structure to their time and worried about just taking six months off with nothing to show for it. This fills that very real niche.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
clarky999, nice one. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm doing a three-week inprover course in Whistler this winter for about that amount - includes all tuition, central accommodation with hot tub/wifi, some meals avalanche course. Seems like reasonable value to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like Inside Out Skiing needs to get in the GAP market !!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The GAP course prices are pretty crazy but as clarky999, if you get a higher level qualification and can teach with it then they are a good way into the industry. But the snolimit one to get your level 1 seems a bit steep!

I had a friend who did the Yes course in Whistler two years ago which was designed to take you to level 2, she failed the test twice so ended up with her 1 and spent a fortune. She did have an awesome time and is a much better skier for it. Was a good way to use a sabbatical but she has no intention to teach for a living!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why are we all writing GAP instead of gap? It's not an acronym.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of course perception of 'value' is different to different people. Personally I don't see Gap courses as good value for money. The organiser is making on everything including the accom etc, as with many things it can be done cheaper by people organising stuff themselves.

I also understand that kids on a Gap gain other stuff from the experience besides a certificate and a badge, like friendships and team working skills, but its still a pricey route to follow imo.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think in terms of value-for-money for what you get, they're generally pretty good.

As a cost-effective way of getting your badge, not so much...

Especially for level 1 - I wouldn't consider it impossible for a complete beginner to achieve level 1 standard with 4 weeks intensive coaching.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stevomcd wrote:

Especially for level 1 - I wouldn't consider it impossible for a complete beginner to achieve level 1 standard with 4 weeks intensive coaching.

Now there's a challenge Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Most people could save themselves a fortune by training on plastic or in a dome, getting involved with slope run instructor training and doing the level 1 course on its own.

+1
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stevomcd, I know of a few L1's who had never skied in the mountains and passed... 4 weeks might be a stretch but....
ski holidays
My daughter found it tougher than she expected and she'd plenty of weeks behind her. Mostly though she needed to correct some ingrained stance issues which I guess wouldn't be an issue for anyone who hadn't skied before.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Sounds like Inside Out Skiing needs to get in the GAP market !!

Hemel doesn't quite have the appeal of Austria wink
snow report
musher, Laughing
ski holidays
I did a gap course a few years ago, there was one guy who passed the L1 having done only 5 weeks of skiing in his life (including the week-long course). He was a remarkably strong skiier for someone who had so little experience though.

I considered the gap course I took fairly good value for money. £7k for 10 weeks. All the admin sorted, courses booked, training scheduled, meals cooked for you, easy social life. It was especially useful for including the 70 hours of required shadowing which would have been a massive hassle to complete in the UK - I don't live particularly close to an artificial slope.

Most people on the course were there for the social life and the skiing, not to become a ski instructor.
snow report
A week's holiday with decent accommodation and food, along with lift pass and high quality instruction could well cost £1000. The price doesn't sound too bad, especially if instruction is for whole days.
latest report
pam w, I guess our week in Tignes at half that price is a bit underpriced, now where is my calculator Laughing
snow report
skimottaret, well, the Inside Out Dolomites trip costs just over £100 a day, and when you add in ski pass costs for 4 weeks, you'd be pretty close to the figure in your OP. wink
latest report
pam w, okay I give !
snow report
Definitely possible to get level one after 4 weeks of skiing, saw it done in NZ. Personally only snowboarded for a few days before my level 1 as well, but that is boarding.

I would say the gap course I did was probably the best money I have ever spent, I did a 6 week course in NZ to get what is now their l2, before the course I had skied a handful of times, 6 weeks or so, and I've now taught full time for 11 winters. I think the course cost me £2500, so worth it. Yeah some people will never use the qual, but from my course a bunch of us are now full cert, a few examiners and one guy is on a demo team.

Yes there a cheaper ways to get into instructing, but better and more fun? Not sure.
ski holidays
jimmer, Great to hear a success story from a gap course veteran !

My initial moan seems to be unfounded but it is becoming apparent that BASI instructors once they get fully qualified target the lucrative training wanna be instructors on gap courses or wanna be a higher level instructor during pre season training course markets....
snow report
skimottaret, Yes I've seen a bunch of new companies getting into the gap market in the last few years, but is that a bad thing? The instructors get guaranteed work for the duration of the course, the trainees have an awesome time. I thought that if had actually got a little tougher for them recently, with uni fees going up etc, but maybe not.
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

My initial moan seems to be unfounded but it is becoming apparent that BASI instructors once they get fully qualified target the lucrative training wanna be instructors on gap courses or wanna be a higher level instructor during pre season training course markets....

I guess because they find it more interesting and possibly lucrative than teaching beginners.
snow report
skir67 wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I guess because they find it more interesting and possibly lucrative than teaching beginners.

... and there are not very many beginners around pre season.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there are not very many beginners around pre season

and even fewer who are likely to be a guaranteed income for weeks on end. And lower overheads/transaction costs for a 10 week course than a whole lot of separate holidays. Nice work if you can it, I guess!
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:

Indeed here are some extracts from one such dodgy operation ruthlessly targeting this market:

Quote:
We offer coaching for early intermediate skiers up to professional development for ski instructors. Let us help you take your skiing to the next level!

What our clients tell us: "Well I just finished my BASI Level 1 Instructor course at XXXXX and passed!!! This is due in no small part to both XXXX and XXXXX's tuition over the past few months. There is no way I would have passed without their coaching and input. A big thank you and thumbs up for their guidance and instruction."

wink
snow report
fatbob, Very Happy Very Happy

I spoke to someone on the BASI stand at the Ski Show a couple of years ago about options for my daughter. All he was really interested in was trying to flog his company's gap course FFS she'd still got 3 more years of school at the time.
snow conditions
fatbob, thank you for putting up my quote of thanks to said ski operation! Very Happy

I realise your post was in slight jest, but just to clarify that the ski operation who you mention above in no way promoted themselves to me as training me for the Level 1. This was my goal which I came to them with once I had been skiing with them for at least 6 months.

Their support, tuition and guidance through the skiing lessons I had with them, gave me the confidence and skills to take and pass the BASI Level 1.

That said, I have no doubt that if they wished, that they could enter the GAP market for BASI L1s and potentially BASI L2's and get people through these levels.
latest report
skimottaret, I reckon there's an untapped market for the other end of the market - Twilight Year courses for the older, but still aspirational, skier. We're the ones with the leisure and the money. You could use that fantastic video of the powder skiing grandmas that was around last year. To illustrate what we could do with enough of the right kind of coaching. wink

You could call it "Old Bat out of Hell Skiing".
latest report
apropos of nothing really but a friend of mine did a mid-life-crisis type gap year with Hemel Hempsteds 3rd most famous ski instructor, Sir Wozza Smith, and is now a very good skier!

Also now about £15k lighter - £3k for the 6-week (?) course and the other £12k dumped in Farinet lounge hob-(k)nobbing with the Great Man's entourage of sleb clients inc Big Lol Delalligio (sp), Susannah Reid, the drummer from Queen etc et al.
snow conditions
Touchguru, I know, don't worry their clients' skiing is all the business card they need.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
apropos of nothing really but a friend of mine did a mid-life-crisis type gap year with Hemel Hempsteds 3rd most famous ski instructor, Sir Wozza Smith, and is now a very good skier!

Also now about £15k lighter - £3k for the 6-week (?) course and the other £12k dumped in Farinet lounge hob-(k)nobbing with the Great Man's entourage of sleb clients inc Big Lol Delalligio (sp), Susannah Reid, the drummer from Queen etc et al.

a bit off topic but spotted dalalligio in the small park by migros a couple of seasons back, it was a bit surreal! He was standing in the middle of the park on his own with no-one else around cooking a large amount of meat on a big barbecue. Sort of double-taked when I realized who it was.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

there are not very many beginners around pre season

and even fewer who are likely to be a guaranteed income for weeks on end. And lower overheads/transaction costs for a 10 week course than a whole lot of separate holidays. Nice work if you can it, I guess!

would defo agree with both points Smile
snow conditions
fatbob, Laughing Laughing
snow report
fatbob wrote:
Touchguru, I know, don't worry their clients' skiing is all the business card they need.
Ooh, am I allowed to bask in that particular reflected glory? Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

pam w wrote:
skimottaret, I reckon there's an untapped market for the other end of the market - Twilight Year courses for the older, but still aspirational, skier. We're the ones with the leisure and the money. You could use that fantastic video of the powder skiing grandmas that was around last year. To illustrate what we could do with enough of the right kind of coaching. wink

You could call it "Old Bat out of Hell Skiing".
Yesssss! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy