Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freeride Clothing

Poster: A snowHead
Hey All,

I posted a while back about getting some trousers that zip all the way up the side and thanks to all the great advice I've got my heart set on a pair of these http://www.norrona.com/Products/5003-11/5601/lofoten-gore-tex-pro-pant-m

Not everyone's cup of tea granted but I really like them. One thing that confused me a bit though, being fairly new to this, is that they are described as Freeride pants. I've had a look around here and googled but all the freeride discussions seem to be about ski's and boots. What (if any) is the difference between these and regular trousers? Would they be baggier? Are they a good choice for regular piste wear?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marketing.

Overkill for the piste IMHO.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
indieinferno, they have a brown insert in the seat area. Helps with exposure wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
indieinferno, I've got a pair of those Norrona trousers in yellow. I don't know what is "Freeride" specific about them, but they are great piece of kit and get worn all over the mountain.

The main differences are that they are just a shell (no insulation layer), are a baggier/looser fit than normal ski trousers, and have 3 /4 length side zips for better ventilation. They also come in very bright colours. Most Argies have an all black ski outfit, so I'm very easy to spot in a bright red jacket and yellow trousers.

I prefer them over "normal" ski trousers for the about reasons, and also because I used to wear salopettes when ice climbing, and I wear bib coveralls at work.

But as Mike Pow says, they are a little OTT if you only ski on piste. And they're not cheap. I got mine from here - http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What Mike said. They're baggier and people will buy them because they think they need them to be a "freerider".

I own the same trousers though because they are really well made and have the features I need!

The bits I really like are:
  • The placement of the pockets. My previous pair of trousers have one pocket in that position and I love it.
  • 3/4 zipper, don't need a full length zip and it's ideal for letting out the sweat.
  • Very sturdy cuffs which I'll hopefully avoid putting crampons through.
Plus they are eye meltingly red.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Freeride means "a bit baggy" and "a bit expensive". It also often means "not boring monochrome black like everything else", which is nice Smile

Four hundred quid is a bit of serious price label for something you were intending to use primarily on piste, but if your wallet stretches that far they'll be a perfectly good set of hardshell salopettes. Most mountaineering-type salopettes of the same type will have the same features for a fair bit less cash, unless they're made by arcteryx.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the help guys. perhaps they are a bit more than I need being a relative novice and my wife would certainly be happy if I spent less. But those colours..... Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
indieinferno, if you want some colourful baggier style pants, go look at Westbeach. they've got plenty of vents, some eyewatering colours and are about a third of the price.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a Norrona Falketind shell for the last two years, I'm a really big fan of their kit as the best you can get - though the price does reflect that, and you leave value for money a way behind. The Freeride designation for their lines is actually vaguely useful given they do full on climbing pants, insulated resorty type pants, etc. Freeride in this context means a baggier comfier cut than stuff made to work with harnesses, and more comfort in general than purely functional touring stuff which their other lines do better - eg the Falketind jacket I had was literally a 3l goretex shell with no frills or extras, it's their mega lightweight line.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All you need in funky colours, well made, trendy brand but too baggy for me right here: http://www.sweetprotection.com/webshop/en/special-offers/technical-clothing/ - ie Ballroom Blitz pant in bird blue for £156 vs £260.
snow report
 cran
cran
what's wrong with baggy shorts and a T-shirt?

My bright yellow Trespass ski trousers were £30 in a sale... I can't bring myself to spend more than that on a pair of trousers, not even ski trousers...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cran wrote:
My bright yellow Trespass ski trousers were £30 in a sale... I can't bring myself to spend more than that on a pair of trousers, not even ski trousers...

That's cos you've never found your trews to be inadequate in term of resilience, weight, waterproofing, windproofing, insulation or breathability, right? There's good reasons to buy fancy fabrics from expensive brands, but piste skiing might not be one of them snowHead

I've just spent £120 on some waterproof trews. They'll be lighter and more breathable and more water resistant than the £30 pair they're replacing, they'll pack down smaller and be a wee bit more resistent to things like crampons or bike sprockets by way of a bonus. Money well spent in my opinion.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cran, seems reasonable, but when you get 500+ days out of them, and have to be outside regardless of weather, it seems more attractive.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Serriadh wrote:
That's cos you've never found your trews to be inadequate in term of resilience, weight, waterproofing, windproofing, insulation or breathability, right? There's good reasons to buy fancy fabrics from expensive brands, but piste skiing might not be one of them snowHead

I'll have you know that I only use pistes to get to the off piste... Toofy Grin

And my skis are fatter than yours NehNeh

But yeah... If I was doing touring I'd get some better gear...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
indieinferno wrote:
Thanks for all the help guys. perhaps they are a bit more than I need being a relative novice and my wife would certainly be happy if I spent less. But those colours..... Very Happy

could also look at http://www.flylowgear.com/ for some freeride gear
ski holidays
cran wrote:
I'll have you know that I only use pistes to get to the off piste... Toofy Grin

Er, I was referring to the OP rather than casting aspersions on your skiing preferences. Embarassed

cran wrote:
And my skis are fatter than yours NehNeh

Probably snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy