Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to Buy Mogul Skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to buy a set, but can't find anyone in the UK so far that sells them. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://hartskis.com/dealers/

Looks like Hart don't have a UK dealer at the moment
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skir67, Can't you find them online in the U.S.?

Are you competing then?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They can be got from the US but then there's import duty, delivery and VAT plus handling charges to pay on top so I'd rather source some from the UK or EU if at all possible.

I'm not competing (well not yet anyway), but I am skiing zipper lines and a coach told me I need to work on a more closed stance for this so the proper kit will come in handy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skir67, have you tried YKK?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skir67, Have you tried asking any of the people at British Freestyle ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.idoneski.com/mr.html

K2 Cabrawler's - if you can find them 2nd hand.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rjs wrote:
skir67, Have you tried asking any of the people at British Freestyle ?

Got one lead from them but the website concerned does not list mogul skis, however they may be able to get them as a special purchase. I need to contact them directly to see what they say.

I also know someone who is ex-GB squad and he may have a set he can sell me. Just trying to find all my options currently.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skir67, Of the names on that page, I would have asked Martin Carr first.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs wrote:
skir67, Of the names on that page, I would have asked Martin Carr first.

Funnily enough I was on a course with him on Saturday night, but didn't ask him as I'd asked another coach so figured that info would lead me to a website with skis for sale on it which it didn't. It's a good point, I will try and see if I can e-mail him. I think my paypal payment for the course went to him.

It does seem difficult to buy them off the shelf in this country though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
skir67, have you tried YKK?

Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skir67, I'm still not sure why you want a bumps specific ski to get a narrower stance. A nice detuned slalom or GS ski would do the trick I'd imagine and be both easier to find and cheaper.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, you want to take a GS skis into tight bumps at speed?!?!?. Jeez, Louise, you got more hairy man eggs than me - the weight alone would have me chewing mounded snow faster than you could say 'get back on the piste, you dunce'.

My not-so-patented take on the bumps is to smack them into submission by bouncing from the top of one to the top of the next in line so the additional weight of GS skis would work for me - leaves a lovely, clear path for those coming after - but would not be fit for skir67 purpose which is to 'snake hips' them at pace. You have to have your legs welded for that. Speaking of which, have you thought about a monoski?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of my favourite bumps skis were my old Rossi 9X (174cm, replaced by 160cm) "Oversize" - just a detuned (well that's what we'd have called them in the good old days) GS ski.

I currently zip line on anything between 190cm and 165cm depending on mood. But then, I learned mostly on 203s...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Something like these http://www.elanskis.com/en/product/waveflex-race-gsx.html are not a million miles away in geometry from these http://www.untracked.com/p3328c94b53-13_volkl_wall_mogul_competition_skis.html
ski holidays
under a new name, My only worry with GS skis would be permanently bending them, there is likely to be a lot less metal in the competition mogul skis.

My favorite bump skis are a pair of first generation Rossignol slalom carvers, 177cm with a 20m sidecut radius, I don't usually have space in the car for them though.
ski holidays
rjs, hah hah many years ago a mate did exactly that to his Dynastar Acryglass (this was circa 1983) - and claimed they were improved!
ski holidays
if you are going for elan and can get hold of them, Elan Bloodline Mogul Skis are meant to be the mutts nuts for the bumps. If it was me I would prob try an elan LightSkiing ski for the early turns you get off the riser and the fact that they do not mass much.

Head over to Slovenia on easyjet (Austria then a car I think is best) and then pick them up directly - pay in euros and you prob will save a bundle. If you go now, you can prob have a run or two on some rentals (or trialers if you ask nicely and plan to get more than one pair)
snow report
RattytheSnowRat, ?? I thought the idea was that bump "specific" skis were probably not necessary...but does skir67, want a women's specific ski? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
I'll check my ski stock and see what I have left and what condition they are in now. At the peak of competing my ski quiver probably had more pairs of mogul skis than the entire rest of the country.
snow report
under a new name, ? the Bloodlines aren't female specific - what you talking about, Willis?

And the title of the thread + his talk of targeted training are reasonably strong indicators that it's bump specific - in my view .....
snow report
simon_bates wrote:
I'll check my ski stock and see what I have left and what condition they are in now. At the peak of competing my ski quiver probably had more pairs of mogul skis than the entire rest of the country.

Thanks, I'd be interested to hear what you might have. PM me if you prefer.
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat, ah, my bad googling only found a gurlie reference.

In my view trying to source a hard to find (and almost certainly therefore more expensive) bump specific ski is less sensible than finding an easy to source and therefore probably cheaper ski that will do today's job in hand at least just as well.

A pair of "mogul" skis is not a magic bullet to ziplining with ease and grace...

Although, I do recall in my youth really wanting a pair of bump skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy